Have you let yourself go?

YeahSiam

No - but sort of recently.....usually 106-107k which is OK for my height....

But the last month and a half - now up to 111k = pulled tweaked a groin muscle and it hurts like b---h but had started to calm down some restressed it thinking it was good enough to help our daughter work on her basketball game/fast twitch muscle = mistake....Then went to help moving some furniture and tweaked my back twisting with the weight.....Try moving one without relying on the other to help each "fortify" one another - hasn't been fun recently....

Hopefully another couple of weeks and things return to normal....

OP original question - I weigh less than I did in the states.....even though more active there the weight was needed......

So for the acceptable BMI of 25 you are 2.07m tall ?

Nope not a stick man 194-195post-114384-0-60848300-1440497999_thumb.

Edited by pgrahmm

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes of concentrated cardio or weight training 4 to 5 times a week, a minor medical interaction by Doctor Tim once a week in Pattaya . About 5kg over what I would like to be around the gut at 49 but not noticeable even with a t-shirt on . Still drink my share of beer and eat whatever I want.

If I stop the routine though, I gain weight fast!

I have always watched my diet and exercised, but I got much more careful once I hit 40. I quit drinking when I moved to Thailand (backwards compared to many), and I eat at home for almost every meal. Healthy food tastes great, so I don't find this a culinary sacrifice. I exercise regularly, etc.

Seeing farang here who can't write their own address in Thai tickled with the social rank their money and white skin gets them here in Thailand is all the more pig-like when they are fat.

That had the makings of

a good post until you

flipped out in your last

sentence. What does

having the ability to write

your address in Thai

have to do with letting

yourself go?

I regularly run outdoors, cycle, and work out at the gym. I rarely drink during the week, but enjoy a good binge in the weekends. My weight is more or less the same as when I arrived in Thailand 10+ years ago,

Being in good physical shape helps open doors, even more so in a country that places too much emphasis on such things. More importantly however, I like being a healthier, stronger, version of me.

A "good binge" is going to ruin all the weeks good work, I assume you mean you drink to get drunk at the weekends, a social drink is fine, but IMO

getting drunk is a big no no.

Not necessarily. It's perfectly possible to maintain a healthy weight whilst enjoying a serious night on the beers once or twice a week. I'm living proof.

Is life out here about 'I am fit and no longer drink', or enjoying life ?

It baffles me how so many topics end up being taken over by the 'reformed' alcoholics.

You no longer partake because when you did you lost control.

No need to criticise the people who like a drink, if their choice of lifestyle does not affect yours

then why get involved ?

I actually lost about 10 lbs within the first month that I've moved here but have since put it back on. I caught myself eating more snack-like food and consuming more alcohol both of which I have started to rectify over the past couple of weeks. Limited both of those options and get back on a good workout schedule I should by fine again.

For me, part of the reason for both of those is I was treating my time in Thailand like a holiday rather than where I was living. Might not be the reason for everyone but it's mine that I'm trying to change.

I regularly run outdoors, cycle, and work out at the gym. I rarely drink during the week, but enjoy a good binge in the weekends. My weight is more or less the same as when I arrived in Thailand 10+ years ago,

Being in good physical shape helps open doors, even more so in a country that places too much emphasis on such things. More importantly however, I like being a healthier, stronger, version of me.

A "good binge" is going to ruin all the weeks good work, I assume you mean you drink to get drunk at the weekends, a social drink is fine, but IMO

Not necessarily. It's perfectly possible to maintain a healthy weight whilst enjoying a serious night on the beers once or twice a week. I'm living proof.

I never thought of you as one to go out on "a good binge", I thought you were too sensible to get drunk once or twice a week.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I never thought of you as one to go out on "a good binge", I thought you were too sensible to get drunk once or twice a week.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Probably because of the idiots on here who try and paint anyone who doesn't pay for sex as some kind of religious puritan.

I'm a long way from that.

Even if you're obese and a whiny bore in Thailand, you're still "hansum makmak" to the ladies. Money talks.

Well that's not quite true, you are only hansum makmak in red light areas,

Go to a normal Thai nightclub and see how you go, they will throw rocks at you.....

Walking street yes, you are hansum muck muck

Anyone from Northern Europe has to realise that they've probably been burning at least a couple of hundred kcals a day just because of the cold. There was a piece of research that showed a 75 degree house meant you burned (IIRC) 237 kcals more in 24 hours than in an 85 degree house. There's an argument that weight gain in the UK is just down to central heating. We're eating less fat and fewer calories than people in the 1970s.

So if you're living in a country where you're burning absolutely no calories staying warm, but you eat the 200 you need to stay warm at home, you'll gain a pound of fat every 25 days, roughly.

I can bend over and, with my knees straight and locked, put my palms flat on the floor.

Really, the mind boggles! So once you are in this position what do you do, make a wish?whistling.gif .

No -- my mind just boggles that some people my age when standing straight up can't even see their feet.

If trolling burnt calories, some people would be fit as a fiddle.

I trolled cycled 11Km from CM zoo to Wat Doi Suthep this morning and back.

Will do the same tomorrow (if not raining).

At 60, I'm the fittest I have ever been in my life.

Trying to get down to 45 mins ...... now it still takes me 60 minutes.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I'm envious you have a hill to ride up.

During my fifties I did put on a few kilos when I stopped playing squash but I am trying to stay active and athletic in my sixties. I just got back from a 93 km bike ride today. I only ride a couple times each week but I like the feeling of longer less frequent rides. I don’t smoke or drink and I have a younger athletic wife so don’t want to let myself go.

I am 73. Four years ago I ballooned up to 204 pounds. Lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks. Today 188 pounds. I work out in my private gym 3-5 times a week. Weight training and elliptical trainer. Bicycle for errands and exercise. Relatively lean and muscular. Today was weight training and trainer for a bit over an hour for minus 550 cals and then a bike trip to Phuket town (from Chalong Temple) for errands and exercise. 25 kms for a minus 1500 cal workout. No smoking, an occasional beer, healthy food, lots of sleep. My wife is 53 and has the body of a teenager. Gotta keep up.

I started to put on the kilo

tried many things, weight

stayed the same, went to

Yanhee hospital in Bangkok

they gave me slimming pills

took them and the weight

started to come off, arrived

back in Europe, stood on the

scale, it erupted in laughter,

you again, aint going any

lower Jack, it said to me,

this means war, so i started

to eat less and when i get

hungry i just eat as much fruit

as i can, now the scale is

crying because it's going down.

I'm envious you have a hill to ride up.
It's a bit more than a hill with steep climbs with switch backs & lumbering trucks - I think 5500 feet - kudos....Most people get winded on the stairs leading to the temple......

Our 8 year old runs/bounces up the full length of them → youth!!!

Edited by pgrahmm

I spent last December/January in BKK. Walk walk walk said my little friend, and I did. Ate healthy Thai food; love the little fresh markets all over.
Air China had insisted on wheeling me around in a wheelchair at the airports on the way over. I returned from LOS able to walk about ten miles, and about ten kilos lighter.
Returned to 6,000' elevation I gradually lost the ability to walk any distance at all... not for lack of trying, but cardiovascular and COPD troubles gradually just knock the stuffing out of one. Lack of activity and the weight came back as well.

Next month I will be back in Thailand and starting over. I think I will get a bike as well and peddle, I mean pedal, my ass around Ubon. I will be getting married, too, and wanting to stick around with my bride for a few years will be a great incentive, I think. She has some plans for me that involve a certain amount of work.thumbsup.gif