Fined for over buying tabacco at Suvarnabhumi airport

bilbo52

Has anyone heard of this before.... I was in a bar last night talking to an English guy who had flown in a couple of days ago to Suvarnabhumi. He said that he had got through immigration and baggage reclaim and then through the green channel and before leaving the airport he bought 5 multi-packs of tabacco and one carton of cigarettes from a store. As he was about to leave the airport building he was apprehended and to cut a long story short was fined to the tune of 15,000 bt. He said it was uniformed police who detained him and the starting price was a 25,000bt fine which he managed to negotiate down a little. By the way they confiscated all the hand rolling tabacco, but let him keep the carton of cigarettes.

What are people's views on this? Did this chap do something wrong?. (He didn't bring the tabacco into the country and made no attempt to conceal his purcahse). Or did he have his leg pulled so to speak?

In the OPs post he said the guy got through immigration and baggage reclaim and the green channel.

Which as far as I'm aware means he is now in Thailand and any purchases are already subject to local tax.

If he purchased them before all of this in the concourse on the way to immigration then of course he has made a mistake but that's not how it reads.

Where exactly was the purchase made,and if it was before immigration why didn't the sales staff correct him knowing full well the limit upon entering the Kingdom.

If he had gone through the GREEN Customs Channel and had gone Landside, then bought the tobacco, he would have paid ALL statutory duty/excise/tax etc. at the time of purchase. He either purchased them Airside or he's been scammed.

Correct.

As my last post.

Actually just re reading the post the OP mentions hand rolling tobacco which I would suspect his mate or guy whoever he is got over zealous in the concourse area prior to proceeding immigration and customs.

And them allowing him the carton of 200 in this instance is the personal allowance is it not upon entry to Thailand.

Edited by stoneyboy

I will speak to this guy again as I am likely to bump into him again to ascertain the facts, but as I recall he said that he had got through the green channel and was landside (but still in the airport building) when he bought the tabacco. I wonder if this was in fact the case because he told me that he bought five multi-packs of hand rolling tabbac and I am not sure you can buy those outside duty-free. Not sure, but an interesting tale and he was needless to say not very happy to have this happen to him so soon after landing. Will report back when I see him next.

In the OPs post he said the guy got through immigration and baggage reclaim and the green channel.

Which as far as I'm aware means he is now in Thailand and any purchases are already subject to local tax.

If he purchased them before all of this in the concourse on the way to immigration then of course he has made a mistake but that's not how it reads.

Where exactly was the purchase made,and if it was before immigration why didn't the sales staff correct him knowing full well the limit upon entering the Kingdom.

Are there any regulations requiring duty free outlets to sell only the allowed quota to a passenger. I would think not. It's not the shop assistants job, she gets paid for sales, and how was she to know this was a single customer and not one person in a group of say ten ?

The way I read the OP, maybe I am wrong, but he appeared to say he passed through Immigration and Customs and bought the duty paid items from a shop on the land side.

If any one has the time check back on these forums five or six years ago I am Almost sure the same issue was raised back then about Excise officers in plain clothes scamming .

Are there any regulations requiring duty free outlets to sell only the allowed quota to a passenger. I would think not. It's not the shop assistants job, she gets paid for sales, and how was she to know this was a single customer and not one person in a group of say ten ?

The way I read the OP, maybe I am wrong, but he appeared to say he passed through Immigration and Customs and bought the duty paid items from a shop on the land side.

If any one has the time check back on these forums five or six years ago I am Almost sure the same issue was raised back then about Excise officers in plain clothes scamming .

Ok so if he did pass immigration etc where did he buy them especially hand rolling tobacco,there are few options within the airport after arrivals.

7/11 ?

Family Mart ?

Can you elaborate where he may have purchased these items ?

I will speak to this guy again as I am likely to bump into him again to ascertain the facts, but as I recall he said that he had got through the green channel and was landside (but still in the airport building) when he bought the tabacco. I wonder if this was in fact the case because he told me that he bought five multi-packs of hand rolling tabbac and I am not sure you can buy those outside duty-free. Not sure, but an interesting tale and he was needless to say not very happy to have this happen to him so soon after landing. Will report back when I see him next.

Think there's a miss communication here ...... why would anyone buy several tins of tobacco at the airport 7-11 when there's a 7-11 on every corner in the city?

I think he bought the tobacco in the duty free shops in the baggage hall, which is before customs. He then may have been followed out though the green lane and stopped in the arrivals hall. The Customs people probably saw him buying the tobacco - as the shop is opposite the green lane area - then waited for him to walk through the green channel.

Think there's a miss communication here ...... why would anyone buy several tins of tobacco at the airport 7-11 when there's a 7-11 on every corner in the city?

I think he bought the tobacco in the duty free shops in the baggage hall, which is before customs. He then may have been followed out though the green lane and stopped in the arrivals hall. The Customs people probably saw him buying the tobacco - as the shop is opposite the green lane area - then waited for him to walk through the green channel.

I rest my case.

... before leaving the airport he bought 5 multi-packs of tabacco [sic] and one carton of cigarettes from a store.

Cigarettes sold in any shop once clear of customs ought to have the Thai tax label attached to each pack. I assume the same would apply to loose tobacco.

I rest my case.

correct he has bought this air side, duty free exceeded his allowance, they have seen him and collared him

I agree it appears he bought it air side in Duty Free, however I am surprised as I normally buy 2L of Gin there on arrival and they always want to see 2 boarding cards, 1 per litre, maybe more lax with tobacco?

I agree it appears he bought it air side in Duty Free, however I am surprised as I normally buy 2L of Gin there on arrival and they always want to see 2 boarding cards, 1 per litre, maybe more lax with tobacco?

Hendrick's?

Tanqueray, nothing to do with price I just prefer it.

Yawn. They were not scamming but they were stopping people after they'd passed through the green channel. I got stopped myself once way after exiting customs / excise by a plain clothes officer who asked if I had cigarettes (I had a carrier bag that looked like it had a few boxes of cigarettes in it). I said "no, I don't", he politely checked and then waved me on my way saying "thank you sir".

Why do some people assume everything is a scam?

And regarding the OP, as has already been said, there is nowhere to buy this stuff after you exit so he undoubtedly bought it "airside" and was therefore over the limit.

Case closed, no scam, go to bed.

Edited by josephbloggs

Hendrick's?

Tanqueray is available at Friendship.

Hendrick's?

At twice the price of Swampy.

At twice the price of Swampy.

Maybe, but didn't you say that it had nothing to do with price? coffee1.gif

And isnt the thread about Duty Free at Swampy? coffee1.gif

"Are there any regulations requiring duty free outlets to sell only the allowed quota to a passenger."

No, of course not. Different countries have different laws, and it's up to the citizens of a country to understand the requirements.

There are regulations preventing the shops selling more than each passengers allowance, they will only sell you 1 box of tobacco or a carton of cigarettes per passenger so he must have had 6 boarding passes to buy the quantity he had. There are ways round it in the departure area shops but not in the arrivals shops. He most likely bought them in Dubai or Abu Dhabi etc. on his way in.

He cannot have bought any tobacco after customs from the 7-11 or Family Mart because they are not allowed to sell it in the airport shops, no idea why that is.

The comments about it not being a scam are incorrect, I can assure you there is a scam and it has been going on for years. The next time you get off an international flight, especially from countries with cheap tobacco Dubai Abu Dhabi etc have a look round you when you enter the concourse there will be one or two men dressed in black clothes looking at the passengers bags. They follow people on the travelators trying to see inside their bags. When they spot cigarettes they radio through to their mates, or rush ahead and are waiting near the baggage carousels. They then let you go through the green channel and follow you outside. If it's not a scam why let you pass through the green channel unchallenged?

Once outside they will stop you and take you off to a room and ask you for huge amounts of money. My friend got pulled like this and they wanted £1000, He had a large amount of cigarettes and before the do gooder's start saying he was in the wrong, I agree he was. Another bloke got stopped with 500g of tobacco at the same time as my mate and they also tried to get £1000 off him. My friend and this bloke refused to pay. To cut a long story short they where taken to a number of different police stations in Bangkok in an effort to frighten and intimidate them. In the end the bloke with my mate gave in and paid £400 for having 250g of tobacco over his limit. Do you people really think this is not a scam?

My mate refused to pay and ended up in a cell all night after some unbelievable threats, but he is stubborn, some might say stupid but there you go. The next morning he went to court and got a 1500 baht fine and was sent on his not so merry way. So pay £1000 to a policeman or 1500 baht in court sounds like a scam to me.

My advice to anyone thinking they will not get into too much trouble bringing a few extra cigarettes into Thailand is don't do it. It ain't worth it.

Edited by iian23