US surgeon who wrote about becoming a 'cold-blooded killer' is denied bail reduction

webfact

Surgeon who wrote of becoming killer is denied bail reduction
By NAOMI MARTIN

DALLAS: -- Long before he faced lawsuits and criminal charges, a North Texas neurosurgeon emailed one of his employees.

“I am ready to leave the love and kindness and goodness and patience that I mix with everything else that I am and become a cold blooded killer,” Christopher Duntsch wrote.

To authorities, the chilling Dec. 11, 2011, email points to Duntsch’s mind-set in the months before he “intentionally, knowingly and recklessly” botched spinal surgeries, severely injuring four people and killing one woman, Floella Brown, who died in July 2012.

The email was among new evidence Dallas County prosecutors presented against Duntsch at a hearing Friday in which Criminal District Judge Carter Thompson refused to reduce Duntsch’s $600,000 bail.

“I am very well-pleased that he will remain in jail and that justice will eventually be served for the crimes that he has committed,” said Philip Mayfield, 45, who awoke paralyzed from the neck down in April 2013 after Duntsch performed surgery on his spine.

Duntsch, 44, was arrested July 21 on five counts of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury and a count of injuring an elderly person. He performed those procedures at Dallas Medical Center, South Hampton Community Hospital and University General Hospital.

Full story: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20150821-surgeon-who-wrote-of-becoming-killer-is-denied-bail-reduction.ece

-- Dallas News 2015-08-25