What's the Verdict - Windows 10

jimmym40

When Microsoft send you communications and newsletters they are in Thai only with no link to an English version. Just another international company that believes everyone living in Thailand is able to speak the language. I will be avoiding Windows 10 on a mobile as many of the features will be unusable.

Yeah pretty annoying but it's not only Microsoft that makes this assumption.

Just set your location to US (or wherever) and time zone to Thailand.

post-215766-0-20850300-1440733933_thumb.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Issues with W10 after upgrading my desktop from W7, with the exception for the time needed to disable all the (known) spy options...

slightly better performance, start menue kind of equal to my 8.1 desktop version, so far so happy.

will wait with upgrading my W8.1 tablet until the privacy issues are investigated in more depth by the security companies out there

I am running Win 7 , fully updated, on a Samsung RV511.-

Despite being offered Win 10 by MS the upgrade fails to install returning a 1900101-20017 error code.

Having spent much time talking with MS techs about the problem a solution has not been found.

Any ideas ?

I've upgraded to W10 on my desktop. So far has sip ha sip. PC is much slower booting, downloads are much slower. Speed test says my download speed is 2 MB/s, however downloads do not exceed 230 kb/s. Also with the privacy and automatic upgrades, there is plenty of information available on Google on what settings to turn off so they are no longer an issue. Overall I give W10 a rating of 7.5 out of 10.

Despite being offered Win 10 by MS the upgrade fails to install returning a 1900101-20017 error code.

Having spent much time talking with MS techs about the problem a solution has not been found.

Any ideas ?

Have you tried upgrading with a downloaded ISO rather than via Windows update?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I downloaded and had issues with screen going crazy. Finally contacted Dell and was shocked to find they have no plan to have my 3 yr old laptop supported for Windows 10. Fortunately I was within the 30 day Microsoft window so was able to restore Windows 7 with all files easily. I had already bought a new printer as my Epson did not work with Windows 10 either.

My paid-for Kaspersky anti-virus program vanished when I installed 10 and it remains missing-in-action. I initially Googled in hopes of finding a fix or upgrade, but found nothing helpful. I guess it will save me further annual subscription payments and I'll work on the (naive??) assumption that Windows Defender will suffice along with my Malwarebytes. Apparently all the hoopla about Windows 10 went unnoticed at Kaspersky.

Two seconds on Google revealed this:

Windows 10 OS is relatively new. To ensure a malware-free and secure experience, Kaspersky Lab has planned the release of a compatible KES version in October. It is advised to postpone transition to Windows 10 or to revert to Windows 7/8.1 for the time being.

Any ideas ?

Thank you for responding.

Yes......I have tried upgrading from the ISO download.

I have also tried every other "fix" suggest by MS and others!

I don't believe Microsoft is being ethical in the manner in which has designed it's installation wizard in relation to privacy settings.

While I am tech savvy enough to get around that I have made the mistake of being an early adopter before. I wont do so this time.

If Microsoft deal with the privacy settings issues I'll probably upgrade at some point from Win 7 but its still supported and aint broke so......

Any ideas ?

If it was me I would clean install Win 7 then upgrade from that. It will definitely work though obviously you will need to reinstall your apps and data.

It isn't as painful as it sounds because you don't need to install all the Win 7 drivers and don't need to do any updates at all. The only requirement is that Win 7 shows as activated before commencing the upgrade to ten.

Any ideas ?

If it was me I would clean install Win 7 then upgrade from that. It will definitely work though obviously you will need to reinstall your apps and data.

It isn't as painful as it sounds because you don't need to install all the Win 7 drivers and don't need to do any updates at all. The only requirement is that Win 7 shows as activated before commencing the upgrade to ten.

Thank you for your reply and continued interest

I have just learnt from another source that my copy of Win 7 may be "Geo-Blocked"

Does this mean anything to you ?

"Geo-Blocked"

You live in Thailand.

Your software is pirated.

Go to jail - 90 days.

Try again.

What an extremely unhelpful and cynical response.

My copy of Windows is legal and MS has activated and verified the product as being genuine

As I have no desire to receive any further ill-informed comment I have added you to the ignore list

Thank you for your reply and continued interest

I have just learnt from another source that my copy of Win 7 may be "Geo-Blocked"

Does this mean anything to you ?

No, I've never heard of that and a quick web search doesn't bring any results. Pretty doubtful, I would say.

"Geo-Blocked"

You live in Thailand.

Your software is pirated.

Go to jail - 90 days.

Try again.

What an extremely unhelpful and cynical response.

My copy of Windows is legal and MS has activated and verified the product as being genuine

As I have no desire to receive any further ill-informed comment I have added you to the ignore list

I think Fang was only kidding. He mentioned in another thread that he had found out himself that his Win installation was not genuine so was probably just alluding to that not having a dig at you.

I downloaded and had issues with screen going crazy. Finally contacted Dell and was shocked to find they have no plan to have my 3 yr old laptop supported for Windows 10. Fortunately I was within the 30 day Microsoft window so was able to restore Windows 7 with all files easily. I had already bought a new printer as my Epson did not work with Windows 10 either.

My paid-for Kaspersky anti-virus program vanished when I installed 10 and it remains missing-in-action. I initially Googled in hopes of finding a fix or upgrade, but found nothing helpful. I guess it will save me further annual subscription payments and I'll work on the (naive??) assumption that Windows Defender will suffice along with my Malwarebytes. Apparently all the hoopla about Windows 10 went unnoticed at Kaspersky.

I use Kaspersky and it works fine for me on Windows 10. At first it didnt but I checked on the Kaspersky site and found the one that was Windows 10 compatible. Downloaded and installed ok. Used my existing Key and it works a treat

Some moments W 10 is satisfactory. Nothing wonderful - very W 7.

At other times, I totally detest it - slow startup; slow in accessing various sites eg Gmail.

You can see a small ball revolving endlessly is my biggest gripe=this is in slow mode.

Big plus - W 10 validates all previous versions - legit & otherwise. To this day, I am uncertain whether my W8.1 was legit.

Would I downgrade - no - too much work now & later.

Happy? No smiles from me.

I will not touch W 10 with a 10 foot pole for the following reasons: I do not agree with Microsoft recording every keystroke I make. I do not agree that it is OK for microsoft to record all my conversations through the microphone on my computer. I am not interested in having Microsoft decide what programs should be the default program on MY computer. I do not agree to let Microsoft do upgrades whenever THEY feel like it. I paid for my computer, Microsoft did not. I get to decide when/if I upgrade. Who I email, what I email, when I email is my business. Not Microsoft's. Microsoft has become far too arrogant and self serving in the last 6 years. They haven't made a really great OS since Windows XP. Now they are trying to con everyone into downloading their sugar-coated crap by making it free. BEWARE! Most things that are free are worthless. coffee1.gif

Windows 10 is not just an operating system, it is also spyware and should be pulled from the market because it is unconstitutional, or should be, at least in America, and should be in other countries as well. I will jump with joy if/when some country takes Microsoft to court for releasing Windows 10. crazy.gifangry.png

Some moments W 10 is satisfactory. Nothing wonderful - very W 7.

At other times, I totally detest it - slow startup; slow in accessing various sites eg Gmail.

You can see a small ball revolving endlessly is my biggest gripe=this is in slow mode.

Big plus - W 10 validates all previous versions - legit & otherwise. To this day, I am uncertain whether my W8.1 was legit.

Would I downgrade - no - too much work now & later.

Happy? No smiles from me.

Have you checked what is actually being run when you boot up? If not I suggest you check it and remove from the boot applications you dont need to run immediately

Win 10 is fine

Yes windows 10 is fine but the Edge browser is another matter, neither Bing or google toolbar work with it which if you are like me an English speaker/reader living in Thailand being unable to translate web pages is a disaster and my banking security software wont work with it either