virus problem

sgtsabai

Major problem on kids' computer. Oursurf has hijacked IE 11. I can't find it and even eset online scanner didn't find it. Do I need to delete IE 11 completely, registry and all, and if so how to re-download? The kids are always downloading crap, find a virus/malware or 2 everytime I get a hold of it, but this one has got me stumped. I'm certainly no whiz kid when it comes to computers.

This video below describes the method without additional tools. Purely manually.

It describes the steps for Chrome and Mozilla Firefox too.

Basically:

uninstall the thing

clean the browser (specifically)

delete all "oursurfing" registry entries

Download Zoek from here http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/smeenk/zoek.exe

Next, copy/paste the entire script below to the input field of Zoek:

createsrpoint;
autoclean;
emptyalltemp;
ipconfig /flushdns;b

Now...
Close any open Browsers.
Click the Run script button, and wait. It takes a few minutes to run all the script.

Edited by rhythmworx

I can't even find the damn thing, even IE is hidden now so I can't delete it. I'm not sharp enough to go into the registry to hunt it out. I tried many suggestions, found a lot of crap and got rid of it, but still can't get rid of the surf crap. I tried to explain to the kids what the problem was and to NEVER use the Oursurf that has replaced IE. IE by itself is still there but I don't know how to explain to kids how to get there. I did make a "work around" and downloadrd the latest Firefox which had mysteriously dissapeared. Told them to use it instead. It probably won't matter, the computer is full of dodgy Thai crap and I seriously doubt the Windows in legit, in fact it says it isn't everytime you turn on. I didn't buy it, wife did, after not listening to me, again. One way or the other, they'll keep visiting dodgy Thai game etc. sites and more crap will end up on the computer. I think the wall understood more. I'll give this Zoek a shot. Thanks.

may have to create another "user". Then you can get IE or Firefox up and running and go to work on the virus that is hiding folders and other stuff. Start with AVIRA so nothing new gets in. Download Malawarebyte. Download cccleeaner. That is the free approach. Then I think something like spybot one time one year may be needed

after one attack a few years ago, I found out gradually that may folders were now hidden. Some I didn't realize or care about until I was poking around. As I found out that some were "missing" or hidden, I then manually changed the folder properties to not hidden. I doubt a virus eliminator will know to unhide things since it doesn't know that you didn't want them hidden. Just a note that you may need to do some poking and manually unhiding.

Thanks for all the tips. I did do the unhide, still didn't find anything. I'll give the SpyHunter 4 a shot also, whenever the computer comes back. I found the real problem yesterday when I couldn't get computer, I thought. The kids had done something purposely or not that prevented me from getting in, but had it up and running as soon as they got in. When I walked in and saw everything was working I quite naturally was a bit perplexed and wanted to know how. Never did find out exactly what they had done but in all the messing around afterward one of the dodgy Thai chat rooms showed up and I hadn't found it, yea I look and delete facebook etc. 13 yr. old daughter immediately pointed finger at 11 yr. old son. I think I smell the rat there. We had big problem with her, facebook and pedophiles a couple of yrs. ago. Anyway, I just said to hell with it and walked out. 13 yr. old back to village to take care of her grandparents after school and computer is gone. If the wife (can't even remember password for her email) can't make them stay out of the chat rooms then the damn computer can stay messed up. Thanks again for all the ideas.