An affordable Modern Style House in Thailand - Input Required Please

Hi all, I have now for sometime been trying to find a modern development in the Eastern Seaboard area that is both affordable and has a good design, on a sensible plot size....what a challenge it appears! I first started the search online but soon understood that to find such a place remotely is a non starter. I visited a real estate exhibition within Central Plaza in Pattaya earlier this year where new developers displayed their developments, but obviously very centric to the Condo market as an easy option for foreign investment, however for all of us with a Thai spouse or the option of a 'company name' type arrangement we wish to avoid the Condo life and buy a house within a gated community.

I say gated community due to a level of security, I know that's just my opinion and am sure there are many of you living outside of such without issue, however it seems the preferred route within the city limits. I already have a house in a village close to Korat but security issues are, how can I say, more relaxed in the small community....although always open to abuse from the chosen few!

So, my next step was to contact local real estate offices....some of these seemed more professional that others should I say, but in the majority I was shown many second-hand properties that are not my style in design, location size etc.....I also understand the commission on a second-hand unit is higher than that of a new development tongue.png ... also you can get a better deal directly with the developer who will offer discount or chuck in a pool etc for 'off plan' purchases.

For the current limited number of new developments of a really well thought out design on a good plot with a high end finish, they are either deep in the south of Pattaya (too far to commute to Eastern Seaboard Estates), too expensive (2 beds on small plot for 6M THB +), or design is still dated with poor layout.

I then felt that adding a topic on the subject may help me establish if other members have seen the same issues. I was first thinking of a self build but would still be stuck with the security question so maybe, just maybe, I would even contemplate managing a development myself (well the day to day Management would be Thai close family as builders in the family)....Gasp I here from the crowd......yes there is a very very very high level of trust there as I know I would have to float some cash. I would however end up with the dream perfect house in the correct position in a gated location of a small affordable modern development....and of course look to have financially covered all my costs with the sale of the other units

I would appreciate your candid feedback on such a development to gauge the interest level.

I am prepared for all the negatives about investment in Thailand, red tape, trust, corruption etc but open to all comments so please bring it on thumbsup.gif

Thank you in advance for your input wai.gif

I would be careful the real estate market could go against you especially if your thinking of being a developer. I hear the odd story here where people are running into trouble selling their homes. There are just to many variables here to consider a big investment in my humble opinion. Its your decision of course.

That's the question I have asked. Guess I will end up buying something I am not completely happy with. Can see such a big gap in the market tho as Thai taste is changing slowly to the modern western house design but contractors are ripping off the punters will silly money for a small house

That's the question I have asked. Guess I will end up buying something I am not completely happy with. Can see such a big gap in the market tho as Thai taste is changing slowly to the modern western house design but contractors are ripping off the punters will silly money for a small house

You perhaps could buy a vacant plot of developed land in a new gated community and design and build your own house.

I guess I was looking up to 6M Baht. I see the land price in the Pattaya area is very high (c3m/Rai) but as you move east or up to Laem Chabang region it drops considerably....

'trogers' I like your suggestion of buying land within a gated community but admit I have never seen this advertised to date....guess I gotta dig deeper when I return again in 2 weeks..... Cheers guys

This site may assist you in making your design. Some 26 pages with examples of houses (many times including plan).

Some basic knowledge of Thai language is recommended although Google Translate may help.

http://www.homenayoo.com/category/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99/

Have fun !

Well I have a natural interpreter...The Wife! lol Thanks for this I will have a look....

If you are developing then make it 9 properties or less. Anything over that and your costs will rapidly increase due to additional compliance costs.

Over 9 properties and you need the project registered. You are required to put in a 12 meter wide road into the development. Everything must be a chanote. About 30% of your land must be given over to common areas and green spaces. It's going to take a couple of years of frustration as a minimum and then you will have the sales and marketing costs.

The Thai company I work for has plenty of experience in building houses. Outside of Bangkok the company struggles to find decent builders. On one property I have recently seen I have had to reject unsafe structural welding on load bearing RSJs and completely inadequate welding on steel roof sections, as well as a dozen other issues that wouldn't occur in a country with building regs. All of this is despite having an architect and a site supervisor.

If you have no or little prior building experience I think your plan of building a high quality house funded by the sales of similar houses in a small development is quite optimistic. I think members who have built their own house in Thailand would agree that it is challenging enough to produce one high quality house.

As previously suggested, consider a plot of land in a (mostly) finished development. The roads, electricity, water, security, etc will be there. You will get a chanote. Your land boundaries will be clearly defined. Construction access would be simple.