Extradition A Possibility.

a2

Thaksin 'could be extradited'

The Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy has already begun thinking about the possibility of trying to extradite ousted Premier Thaksin Shinawatra from Britain if -- as expected -- he is found to be linked with corruption or abuse of power....

Full story

Bangkok Post 25 Sept 2006

The analogy which compared the coup action with unplugging/restarting a computer was 'cute and articulates precisely the way in which most Thais with whom I've spoken view this coup.

One question that occurs to me is: given that the operation of the constitutional court has been suspended, how can extradition be achieved? Any experts on constitutional law or extradition out there who can shed light on the protocols?

The analogy which compared the coup action with unplugging/restarting a computer was 'cute and articulates precisely the way in which most Thais with whom I've spoken view this coup.

One question that occurs to me is: given that the operation of the constitutional court has been suspended, how can extradition be achieved? Any experts on constitutional law or extradition out there who can shed light on the protocols?

Well, I am by no means an expert, but I think extradition requires a normal criminal court, not a constitutional court, unless the case is challenged on the basis of being in breach of the constitution - which it can't be, as there isn't one....

:o

The Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy has already begun thinking about the possibility of trying to extradite ousted Premier Thaksin Shinawatra from Britain if -- as expected -- he is found to be linked with corruption or abuse of power....

Full story

The law in England has what is called due process, they will never be able to extradite him from, there, unless they can prove that he committed mass murder!

Full story

The law in England has what is called due process, they will never be able to extradite him from, there, unless they can prove that he committed mass murder!

killings of 2000+ of so called drug pushers a few years back, the incidents down in the south....to name a few :o

If the criminal court starts extradition proceedings it will take years to get him back through the British courts.

No doubt costing the British Tax payer millions :o

As long as the Thai courts don't rush this and make sure they everything fairly and transparently then unless Britain offers him asylum, he will be deported.

I personally do not think Britain would give him asylum.

He is not going to be killed or persectuted, he is going to be taken to court to answer allegations of corruption. It is not a witch hunt, it is about seeking Justice for the Thai people he has robbed.

Giving Thaskin Asylum would set a very bad precedent for Britain and open a political can of worms, something I think they will avoid at all costs providing they are satisfied he will be treated fairly and not harmed.

Full story

Britain will extradite any criminal to any country that has an extradition treaty with as long as the criminal is not likely to face the death penalty.

But under British law extradition requests require substantial proof (except for requests from USA) before the extradition will take place.

Britain had an extradition treaty with Thailand but this may be suspended until such time as the UK recognises the government of Thailand to be legitimate.

BB

:o-->

QUOTE(Basil B @ 2006-09-25 13:16:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Full story

Britain will extradite any criminal to any country that has an extradition treaty with as long as the criminal is not likely to face the death penalty.

But under British law extradition requests require substantial proof (except for requests from USA) before the extradition will take place.

Britain had an extradition treaty with Thailand but this may be suspended until such time as the UK recognises the government of Thailand to be legitimate.

BB

Article 5 of the 1911 UK - Thailand treaty:

"A fugitive criminal shall not be surrendered if the offence in respect of which his surrender is demanded is deemed by the Party on whom the demand is made to be one of a political character, or if he prove that the requisition for his surrender has in fact been made with a view to try or punish him for an offence of a political character."

Article 11 first phrase: "The extradition shall not take place unless the evidence be found sufficient according to the laws of the State applied to..."

A report on Channel News Asia this morning showed the fleeing coward hounded by journalists in London while trying on his best faked smiles. How long until he punches or casts black magic spells on them?

Excellant news, Thaksin will find out just how bad the British press are. He hates the press, and yet he has chosen the country with the worlds most intrusive tabloid press to hide out in.

If only there was some sex scandal, then the sun would be all over it.

Ask yourself why Toxic was met at the airport in London by Mercedes limos with diplomatic plates on them? He is still the biggest durian. Correct me if I'm wrong but for Toxic to be extradited he would first need to be convicted by a court of some crime. Not at the whim of the military junta curreently in power.

Edited by dotcom

Article 5 of the 1911 UK - Thailand treaty:

"A fugitive criminal shall not be surrendered if the offence in respect of which his surrender is demanded is deemed by the Party on whom the demand is made to be one of a political character, or if he prove that the requisition for his surrender has in fact been made with a view to try or punish him for an offence of a political character."

Article 11 first phrase: "The extradition shall not take place unless the evidence be found sufficient according to the laws of the State applied to..."

I imagine, then, that "political character" would be Thaksin's grounds for contesting any attempted extradition, but once the findings of the NCCC are complete it is highly likely that criminal procedings could be sufficient grounds for the Brits to hand him over?

It is not hard to imagine Thaksin desperately looking at a world map and trying to remember what head of state he did not insult or piss off. The “educated people” comment a bit back was a fairly universal insult seeing is how there are so many embassies in Bangkok. At any rate, one must question the wisdom of a country that would have him based on that.

How about all the new friends he made in Cuba? Venezuela? Good until Hugo is voted out. Where was he before then - one of the "stans" in Central Asia- couldnt see him happy there. There's always China, except they will probably want a good relationship with the new Thai govt. Burma? What about Zimababwe- he had some nice things to say about Mugabe a few years back - even gave him a tuk-tuk.

Edited by Netfan

Letter in today's The Nation:-

Former FEER journalist urges UK to remember how Thaksin dealt with outsiders

As a British citizen, I would like to express my hope that the British government does not give fugitive former prime minister Thaksin too much of a comfortable ride in my country.

After all, Thaksin was officially only a caretaker prime minister since the annulled April 2 election, though he tried in his usual style to override this and continued to act as if he owned Thailand. So, since he landed in London he was no more than a former caretaker prime minister, and should be treated as such.

I write from the vantage point of having had some personal, historical experience at the hands of the former prime minister. In February 2002, I and my colleague Shawn Crispin were with the then weekly magazine Far Eastern Economic Review's Bangkok bureau, when Thaksin struck. He, of course, later told us it wasn't him but his "senior officials", but we were nevertheless officially accused at the time of being "a threat to national security". The Thaksin government spokesman subsequently said we were "terrorists". We were, of course, nothing of the sort, and were simply the first foreign press victim of Thaksin's war on the critical press, both foreign and domestic.

Luckily, the powerful, good people here, as you would call them, intervened and we successfully petitioned against the deportation order, meaning our passports with new visas and work permits were returned and we were told by immigration authorities we were definitely off the black list. The only word I got from the British embassy was to make my own apology to the government (for what?) and basically to accept deportation.

The official confirmation that we were free men again was fine, but annoyingly I continued to be held-up at Bangkok airport by immigration every time I left and returned. Must be just bureaucratic confusion about my case history, I thought. But I subsequently found out from the Immigration Department itself that it had been decided on March 15 that year we should both be scratched off the black list, and two days later we were officially told such. I also learned that certain individuals in Thaksin's inner circle - still smarting from their defeat - had quietly told immigration to do no such thing, hence my prolonged airport hassles.

So London, I don't ask you to declare Thaksin a "threat to national security", but at least bear in mind what the man did to one your citizens.

Rodney Tasker

Chiang Mai

Letter in today's The Nation:-

Former FEER journalist urges UK to remember how Thaksin dealt with outsiders

I and my colleague Shawn Crispin were with the then weekly magazine Far Eastern Economic Review's Bangkok bureau, when Thaksin struck. He, of course, later told us it wasn't him but his "senior officials", but we were nevertheless officially accused at the time of being "a threat to national security". The Thaksin government spokesman subsequently said we were "terrorists". We were, of course, nothing of the sort, and were simply the first foreign press victim of Thaksin's war on the critical press, both foreign and domestic.

The official confirmation that we were free men again was fine, but annoyingly I continued to be held-up at Bangkok airport by immigration every time I left and returned.

Yes I remember and there was a long string that followed - it was paving his muddy paths with concrete!

He intimidated anyone in his way!

I-TV case....

Well hope this makes some people in the UK think twice3..

On the other hand I must say - they have their ways here - anyone remembers the guy from the events of 1997/8 ? some Indian-Thai Banker fled with apparantly billions either 'lost' or 'hijacked' - apparently resurfaced in Vancouver/Canada, even was caught with a forged passport trying to leave the country - pending extradition.

What happend? Never heard a thing anymore - after some time if its forgotten its forgotten! TiT

And in those days there was quite a lot of Shin.Corp money flowing around Singapore and Hongkong - guess is where he doubled first time!

Edited by Samuian

That guy, Rakesh Saksena, is/was fairly close to being extradited as Canadians don't believe anymore that he would not get a fair trial. he scared them initially with the tales of torture and extrajudicial executions.

With the new junta in charge that might delay his extradition, but he's gradually losing the case. Maybe statue of limitations is his next target.

as we all know one law for the rich, another law for everybody else, and one thing is for sure he is extremly rich.

england as you all know are free from corruption and favourtism???

remember mandleson and his illegal loans and illegal help with immigration matters and blunkett.

well mandleson got promotion and nothing happened to blunkett.

thaksin is amongst his equals in the uk, so he will be allowed to stay as long as he wishes, i believe.

now if he went to another country and happened to be persuaded to return to thailand then that would be another matter.

he deseves and indeed the thai people deserve to see thaksin face the courts, however this will not happen in the near future.

Well, life of Rakesh Saxena is not that exciting. He rents a small apartment somewhere in Canada and he can't travel anywhere and he can't do any real business - just a bit of consulting over the internet. I don't know if Thaksin is ready for this. Another thing is relationships with Thailand - Thaksin is a nobody to risk getting in perpetual diplomatic mess over. Imagine Thais bringing this up every time they talk to UK government. And imagine local press going over it again and again everytime he makes a public appearance, and we know he can't keep his mouth shut.

I bet they sit with their fingers crossed and hope Thaksin will never request an asylum. He is a bad news.

Nothing will happen to him :o

Indeed. Thaksin is filthy rich and therefore the rules will not apply. Yes, the U.K. might huff and puff a bit but will in the end will not do anything about it. Could any of you really imagine a rich Tony Blair or George Bush deported from another country in disgrace? Politics transcends nations and they will all generally take care of their own. Same team, different colours.

Former British ambassador defends coup

Former British Ambassador to Thailand , Derek Tonkin, has expressed his support for the coup, suggesting the ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is to blame for fostering conditions that led to his ouster.

In a letter to London-based The Times newspaper, published on September 25, Tonkin said Thaksin's "wealth has become so immense and has been used so shamelessly to undermine political opponents and critics that his position has become virtually unassailable through the ballot box."

His letter, published on September 25, was in response to The Times' leading article on September 20 in which it stated Thaksin's record "does not justify an illegal attempt to force him from power".

"The problem for 30 per cent of urban dwellers in Thailand who are mostly opposed to Mr. Thaksin is that his political party, through what would appear to be traditional but illegal vote-buying practices, has cornered 70 per cent of the rural vote," Tonkin said.

The former ambassador, who was posted to Thailand from 1986-89, went on to ask; "As the declared purpose of the coup is to restore democratic rights and bring an end to corrupt domination of the rural vote, is action against tyranny and for democracy not fully justified?"

The Nation

:o

as we all know one law for the rich, another law for everybody else, and one thing is for sure he is extremly rich.

england as you all know are free from corruption and favourtism???

remember mandleson and his illegal loans and illegal help with immigration matters and blunkett.

well mandleson got promotion and nothing happened to blunkett.

thaksin is amongst his equals in the uk, so he will be allowed to stay as long as he wishes, i believe.

now if he went to another country and happened to be persuaded to return to thailand then that would be another matter.

he deseves and indeed the thai people deserve to see thaksin face the courts, however this will not happen in the near future.

Another good post there.

Ask yourself why Toxic was met at the airport in London by Mercedes limos with diplomatic plates on them? He is still the biggest durian. Correct me if I'm wrong but for Toxic to be extradited he would first need to be convicted by a court of some crime. Not at the whim of the military junta curreently in power.

Something to do with installing his friends at the embassy....

As much as the UK behind the scenes will be happy with the result ( in time ) of the recent events in the LOS; how on earth anyone belives they can send the man back is beyond me. The " Free" world as the UK/US alliance like to call themselves, would have a hard job giving legitimacy in the short term to a military temporary power as much as they would like to, even though knowing full well, it will be good for the country in the long run. Thailand is Thailand, but a hint of support at this time would send a message to Indonesia and possibly other close neighbours that the West and it's allies could not countenance.

There are a lot of checks and balances to take care of most of the problems involved in extradition of most anyone (I think terrorists maybe an exception). I wouldn't worry or complain too much. Thailand will investigate, determine if they want him back and then the UK will look at the facts and decide. A long slow process. But fair.

I find it incredible that The Times should defend Taksin and his cronies. Just shows how out of touch they are with the will of the people in this country.

A Prime Minister is elected to head the governement - and as such is an EMPLOYEE of the people. Toxin would never consider himself as that, and proved it time and time again.

The Times needs to take it's collective head out of it's oversized arse!