Vegemite 1st time...

CLW

I bought today because it was discounted at Big C.

Never tried before...

My first impressions:

Pure, noooo way. Much too salty

Thinly spread on wholewheat bread. Not that bad, tastes interesting.

What else can I do with it? Any recipes?

This from an Australian website:-

I particularly like No. 11 But by the time you get to the end of the list you really wonder if eating it is a good idea! ( To my Aussie mates, just a bit of fun thumbsup.gif )

CLEANING in the kitchen
1. Naturally disinfect all surfaces {mix 1 part Vegemite with 1 part water in a spray bottle}

2. Scrub stuck on stains {make a paste with Vegemite and baking soda and scrub with a sponge}

3. Clean your dishwasher {put 1 cup into the bottom of the dishwasher and run it with no dishes inside}

4. In place of “Jet Dry” {fill the Jet Dry cup on your dishwasher with Vegemite instead}

5. Clean out your coffee maker {pour 2 c. Vegemite and 1 c. water into the coffee maker and run a full brew cycle. Remove and replace the filter and run 2 cycles of just water}

6. Disinfect cutting boards

7. Clean and disinfect pots, pans, utensils, plates, cups, etc.

8. Clean your hands with Vegemite to remove strong onion and garlic odours

9. Keep sponges and kitchen rags fresh by soaking in Vegemite water overnight. {rinse them before using again}

10. Clean “un-washable appliances” {spray diluted Vegemite them and then just wipe with a damp cloth or paper towel.}

11.Unclog your drains

12. Natural de-greaser {clean with Vegemite and then rinse with cold water}

13. Microwave: {pour 1/4 cup Vegemite and 1 cup water in a glass bowl; microwave on high for 5 minutes; wipe clean}

14. Disinfect ice trays and remove build-up {soak ice trays in diluted Vegemite overnight and then rinse with cold water}

15. Mix Vegemite with citrus juice to freshen your garbage disposal {citrus peals work great too}

16. Naturally clean your fruits and veggies by soaking them in 1 part Vegemite and 1 part water

17. Clean a non-self-cleaning oven by spraying the inside with diluted Vegemite and then sprinkling with baking soda. Let sit for 5-10 minute and then scrub with a sponge

18. Clean your stove top

19. Remove hard water spots from stainless steel by wiping with a cloth dipped in Vegemite

20. Clean the insides of water bottles and coffee thermoses by “swishing” with diluted Vegemite — this will naturally kill any bacteria lingering at the bottom where you might no be able to reach

I had a dear lady friend many years ago in Portugal. She was of that strange sect, the Vegetarians, one evening I went to see her and she had cooked a stew. It was amazing beef stew!... and then she told me that it was totally vegetarian with the addition of Marmite.... I suppose Vegemite might be able to to the same.

Try it with Philly cream cheese on toast, it is like manna from heaven, I spent 45 years in Aussie and got a taste for it. Vegimite brand pays to Halal which I object to so I buy Dick Smiths he refuses to pay the Halal blackmail

Try it with Philly cream cheese on toast, it is like manna from heaven, I spent 45 years in Aussie and got a taste for it. Vegimite brand pays to Halal which I object to so I buy Dick Smiths he refuses to pay the Halal blackmail

Yeah ya gotta watch that nasty halal, cant be buying products that fund terrorism can we now.

Vegemite - the love of my life - is an acquired taste. OP, try it again in a couple of days, soon you will be hooked on the only good thing to come out of Australia.

Vegemite - hallowed be thy name - is a yeast product, and as such high in purines, making it a no-no for people susceptible to gout. If you don't mind ingesting another chemical, you can take Allopurinol to stop gout, and thus continue to eat the food of the Gods.

Vegemite, I love thee. Thank you, Australia - I hope you can come second at the Rugby World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes that was my first mistake [emoji6]

Try it pure and then too thick on the toast. It just needs to be very, very thin spread.

Oh, and I use it also for cooking. Even for Thai dishes. I made that brown mushroom soup and used it as the stock base. Very delicious, my Thai girlfriend liked it

• 2 weeks later...

Great on buttered toast or crackers. You can't just eat it with a spoon.

Says who? [emoji3]

Exactly. says who? Bloody heathens. I can eat it with a spoon, a knife ... hell, an axe ... it's so darn good I'll even eat the axe, if it's smeared with quarter of an inch of Vegemite.