Has anyone applied for an ED and O Visa in KL?

My child and myself hold Singapore passports.

She has been on the 1-year ED visa issued by the Thai embassy in Singapore. Current extension of temporary stay expires 24 September. Goes to Raffles College which is still waiting for their full operating licence so it entitles its students to the full one-year visa.

I've been on the "parent accompanying a minor studying in a private institution" O visa.

Would you advise us getting our new visas in KL? (Need to be there because of my Mother who has been ill.)

Thank you in advance.

No reply yet on this one? I did it in December last year for my daughter and now will be going back in December again this year to do the same with my son. If the school provides the correct paperwork, you just fill up the form and submit it and should be good to go back the next day. My kids' school actually recommended KL rather than in my home country, and saying its better than say Laos or other places, saying they are more familiar with these types of visas. The student would get the 3 month Ed visa, extendable by 1 year as you get near the end of the 3rd month, and you then get the Non-O Guardian which allows you to come back and open a bank account, which you should do in the first 45 days or so, and then you need to deposit 500k thb into the account, and it needs to be "seasoned" for 30 days and then as the 3 month visa period nears to an end, like your child's, you go to the local immigration office and get a 1 year extension also. No border runs needed for either of you, just 90 day reporting. And then when you approach the 15 month mark for both of you and you want to get another 1 year extension for both of you from your local immigration office, this time the 500k needs to be seasoned for a full 3 months.

• Like 1

PS: I just wanted to add I'm enormously grateful to you and this forum which has always come through with very clear and helpful answers. It's so dependable in that way without the usual obfuscation of Thai life. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jason and everyone else who's reading,

Just to let you know we got our visas without any issues. We got to the embassy in KL on 10 September 2015 at about 8.40am, fourth in line, submitted our papers (medical certificate not required) but had to hang around till 11.40am to get our slips that say when we can pick them up. Picked up the next day at after 2.30pm visa collection time.

Please read visa requirements before you go as nationals of some countries have to apply in their own countries.

Much easier than applying in Singapore and location is very convenient for us. Will go again.

Good news for you. Congrats! And thanks for sharing. Are EU citizens on that list? I'm EU and done it before without any issues. Just want to see if they changed it, because I'll be going back right after Christmas break to do the same. BTW, did you have your child with you? Do you know if that is required also? Well obviously if you were going for the Ed for at the same time if that was your case but not sure. My son already has the Ed visa, so I'll be going there solo with just his passport and Ed visa, originals and copies. I figure no use making it a family trip with all the added expenses, not to mention he'd miss a few days of school for that.

• Like 1

This is from the Thai embassy KL site:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20150909-174011-210354.pdf

Your EU country is not listed there so I assume it's ok for you to apply there at this time of writing. You don't need me to tell you that you should check again before you book your ticket.

Yes, I had my child with me as she had to renew her ED visa as well. So I can't answer your question. Sorry. Could you please let me know your outcome though?