Thai junta broadcast unrelated suicide vest picture

Lite Beer

Thai junta broadcast unrelated suicide vest picture

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's junta came under scrutiny Sunday after mistakenly showing an unrelated picture of a suicide vest during a nationally televised broadcast announcing the arrest of a foreign man in connection with last week's deadly Bangkok shrine bombing.

In an embarrassing u-turn officials later said the vest was not among the items found at the suspect’s flat and warned people not to share the shot online.

It is the latest blunder to hit an investigation that has received criticism over how quickly investigators searched and cleared up the blast site, as well as confusing and sometimes contradictory statements from senior officers and junta officials.

Police on Saturday charged a foreign man after a raid on an apartment in Bangkok’s eastern outskirts. Investigators say the man was found with bomb-making equipment linked to the 17 August blast, which killed 20 people and wounded scores more.

All Thai television channels ran a broadcast at 6pm (1100 GMT) on Saturday which featured a spokesman from the Royal Thai Police and a spokesman for the National Council for Peace and Order -- the official name for the junta.

As official Colonel Winthai Suvaree spoke, images from inside the suspect’s flat flashed up on the screen including pictures of the man surrounded by officers, a close portrait of the man and items laid out on a rug.

Another picture was then briefly broadcast showing a vest covered in bulging pockets connected by wires, held up by a hand wearing a blue surgical glove. Winthai did not talk about or make reference to the pictures.

The picture of the vest was widely shared on social media, but late Saturday police took to Twitter to say the photo of the vest was not from the flat.

"The picture has nothing to do with the bombing. It is not official," police wrote on their Twitter account @PoliceSpokesmen.

"We would like to ask people who published that picture to stop their actions because it might bring concern to society and it could be in breach of computer legislation," they added in another tweet.

National police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri, who was the police official in the national broadcast, also tweeted: "The picture that you are putting in your messages might damage the country so please could you stop because the country has already been very bruised."

Neither account explained how the picture made it into the broadcast.

Prawut and junta officials did not respond to AFP’s requests for comment early Monday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-junta-broadcast-unrelated-suicide-vest-pictur-30267749.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-30

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of makes you doubt the credibility of the rest of the pics of the supposed, collected evidence at the home of this guy , who seemingly had forged passports and therefore is easy to pin the blame on as a scapegoat, case closed RTP basking in glory.

Personally, I hope this is not the case here, but it can't have been an easy mistake to make , putting that picture in, and then describing it as found as part of the evidence, amongst the other parts found at the home of the suspect.

Why they do not just say the truth?

"We are sorry we have made a mistake."

Because saving face is the single most important thing in this country?

Yes, a big problem.

And then follow the lies, lame excuses and prevarications.

With the similar result to the behavior patterns of a 4 year old.

I would say that then enters a result a much greater loss of face.

"We would like to ask people who published that picture to stop their actions because it might bring concern to society and it could be in breach of computer legislation," they added in another tweet.

Surely showing the vest on national TV in the first place MUST bring concern to society and therefore IS in breach of the legislation... so looking forward to seeing all involved in the broadcast in court (NOT) !!!

I have to say that until this, I was beginning to think that the evidence being touted against this guy seemed quite convincing. But now I am not so sure.

So will the TV companies, producers, channel owners, Colonel Winthai and the whole of the Junta PR team be charged under the computer crime act and for disseminating false information which could cause public distress and lead to violence?

Or will it now be a legitimate excuse to say "it was a mistake" in future?

The main point is that this whole business stinks to high heaven just like the Koh Tao investigation. How come we always have some sudden breakthrough and the culprits are caught. They never ran away and left country while a huge manhunt was going on. And they always make a full confession - which also always fails to answer a lot of questions. And the picture of the vest is a deliberate lie which I am certain is by the police, not the Junta (as the article is trying it's hardest to imply).

But at least the Junta have taken action to clear it up and stop the false reports which Chalerm would never have done.

Hahaha

For all those on the other thread who were quick to announce this investigation a success and patting the RTP on the backs for a job well done despite all the bungling and pretty feeble suspect in my opinion.

I surely hope they don't search my own house, I have every item that they show as being specifically bomb making equipment, and you lot ought to be very worried also, I am sure all your houses contain very incriminating articles.

But the award really deos go out to those who think that all skeptics and critics of the RTP were too quick to judge and now should be eating their words.

Erm.......................

Edited by Brewster67

Yes, a big problem.

Don't forget the threats for sharing what they sent to the world.

I can just see the headlines. Man arrested for sharing pic as seen in police broadcast which led to panic and widespread fear amongst Thais.

Yes, a big problem.

and by trying to cover up and cover up and cover up and shoving and putting the blame on society, Karma, whatever circumstances to such a stubborn extent will lead to an eternal never ending attempted loop to save face again and again and again,.... and no matter how many times the authorities lose face in today's society, they will stubbornly and sternly continue to save face again and again and again and again.......

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What was the vest ?... I do not recall seeing a photo of it.

Please DO NOT post pictures of the vest. Per the government statement:

We wouldn't want any members to get into trouble. Google is your friend. wink.png

And as to the confusion as to whether the information about this mysterious Turk came from a tip-off or from hard slogging from checking cellphone logs.........

Another mistake................. or someone trying to make the BIB sound more competent than they were and claim kudos for what might have only been a really important good tip-off.

We will probably never know!!!

They can surely not be both true, and if not, why was the wrong information released. The BIB really need to get a grip on their rules about who is and more importantly who is not allowed to talk to the press. Make it one person and one person only and make sure his brain is engaged before his mouth is shifted into gear. Can't be that hard. Threaten "inctive transfer" to any un-nominated blabberers. Because that is what they are!!!!!!!!!

I surely hope they don't search my own house, I have every item that they show as being specifically bomb making equipment, and you lot ought to be very worried also, I am sure all your houses contain very incriminating articles.

So you have detonators, roller bearing balls etc at home? Interesting....

What was the vest ?... I do not recall seeing a photo of it.

Please DO NOT post pictures of the vest. Per the government statement:

We wouldn't want any members to get into trouble. Google is your friend. wink.png

Also please don't speculate as to how or why anyone would have pictures of an unrelated bomb vest so quickly to hand to distribute like this....

So someone took this image, originally from The Huffington Post, and accidentally published it along with other items said to come from the arrest ?site

And how that comes to happen, God knows. How does anyone accidentally take a copied image and put it in a press release. Just making it up...

So you have detonators, roller bearing balls etc at home? Interesting....

Adding the timer fuses discovered to the equipment found in Brewster's abode makes it an even more interesting place.

Edited by Voi

So the message from the gov. we fracked up trying fear the citizens so we can stay in power BUT YOU DO NOT DARE show our mess up to anyone? If you tell anyone we messed up we will hunt you down and take action.

Yeah things like this will bring peace and happiness back.

Hahaha

For all those on the other thread who were quick to announce this investigation a success and patting the RTP on the backs for a job well done despite all the bungling and pretty feeble suspect in my opinion.

But the award really deos go out to those who think that all skeptics and critics of the RTP were too quick to judge and now should be eating their words.

It is beginning to remind me of a tennis match ! biggrin.png