Green Snake in Roofspace

Robroona

Just coming in today and saw the tail of. A green snake disappearing into the Roofspace at my dwelling. It is about 2 feet long and an inch in diameter at its widest. I'm assuming it is looking for food up there as there are rats or bats, or something up there anyway. Had a few problems up there, especially cleaning up droppings each morning.

I'm living pretty rural and no one has actually seen the snake but me, but I've attached some pretty bad photos.

I called someone and was advised to call the police. I wonder what they would do if I approached them, I know they are busy with helmets and things. Is this for real, calling the cops when you get a snake?

Can anyone advise from the really bad photos what snake it is and if it poses any danger to me? And should I get rid of it immediately or at lease give it a fighting chance with the rats or whatever is up there?

post-199944-0-92454000-1440925023_thumb.

post-199944-0-95643500-1440925043_thumb.

trim.E94B4A88-7B7E-45CF-9688-0BEF4FC253F3.MOV

The person who told me about the police was an up country Thai man. He even offered to come here and speak in Thai on my behalf to the cops.

From the information you supplied, I think the snake won't be here long. I don't have trees in my attic

Tree snake, harmless, probably looking for sparrows nests to steal the eggs.

If you call the cops, they would probably remove it for B5,000

facepalm.gif

Edited by Oink

Green tree snake for sure. Very common. Harmless to humans. Good news for you if you leave it alone, less mice / bats and poop all over your place.

Nearly every Thai I meet think all snakes will kill you. Only around 10 - 15% are actually deadly to humans, and guess what? death only occurs when people dick about with them. Recent morons have tried to take selfies with rattle snakes and ended up in a bad way. Good I say. Just helps to confirm that nature eliminates the weak, stupid and feeble minded.

A recent surevy in the sates showed that 90% of snake bites were when "humans" tried to pick them up and in over 50% of cases the person was intoxicated at the time.

Funny,I had the same thing happen to me the other day. Saw one in my carport but when I tried to scare it off went into my roof space. Doubt it would hang around long,there's no birds or mice in it. I wouldn't worry, just part of living in the tropics.

Green tree snake for sure. Very common. Harmless to humans. Good news for you if you leave it alone, less mice / bats and poop all over your place.

Nearly every Thai I meet think all snakes will kill you. Only around 10 - 15% are actually deadly to humans, and guess what? death only occurs when people dick about with them. Recent morons have tried to take selfies with rattle snakes and ended up in a bad way. Good I say. Just helps to confirm that nature eliminates the weak, stupid and feeble minded.

A recent surevy in the sates showed that 90% of snake bites were when "humans" tried to pick them up and in over 50% of cases the person was intoxicated at the time.

Well I wish great luck to everybody. Considering that only 10% of the people bitten by poisonous snakes are bitten through no fault of their own, the actual number of "no fault" bites is probably very small. That puts the odds in favor of the snake lovers.

On the other hand, if you kill every one of them, the odds of not being bitten are even better. That's why no snakes are welcome at my house. I can't tell the difference between common rat snake (good snake) and a cobra (bad snake) unless the cobra stands up and shows its hood. It's a little late by then, isn't it? That's why I dispatch them all. For those that can tell the difference and will attack me for being a stupid killer, etc., I am happy for you. It's just me.

Did anybody mention that there is also another bright green snake that is extremely deadly and is known to cause a large number of the deadly snakebites in

Thailand (according to my snake book). I almost stepped on one, as they just lie there and don't try to get away. If you step on it, you have a big problem. Lucky for me, my wife saw it and warned me. I dispatched it to the spirit world.

I have no interest in the good snake/bad snake guessing game. For those that do, I wish you luck. In any event, the odds are with you. There is that.

And just for the record, even though I have few snakes, and almost none that survive a sighting by me, I DO NOT have a rat/bat/other vermin problem. I built my house with an eye toward keeping them out; and it is rare for one to get in. I have never had a rat the living area of my house (kept very clean) and the couple that managed to get into the attic area were soon dispatched to become food for their snake friends in the spirit world. I have ventilation like the OP picture, but I put aluminum screen over it all, topside.

Just because you live in Thailand doesn't mean you have to choose between snakes or vermin. Despite what some people would have you believe it IS NOT an either/or situation.

I think you got the numbers all wrong...... We are talking about some 300 different kinds of snakes in Thailand. They estimate only 5% of those to be poisonous, we are therefore talking about maybe 15 of them. And out of these 15 different poisonous snakes only 2-3 of them is really bad for us..... These poisonous snakes can range from that when bite you, gives you maximum pain like a mosquito-bite or maybe like a bee-sting...... BUT take care of the 2-3 other bad ones...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

"Considering that only 10% of the people bitten by poisonous snakes are bitten through no fault of their own, the actual number of "no fault" bites is probably very small." So if you get bit

trying to kill one as often happens, it will be your fault

Edited by abhaya

Did anybody mention that there is also another bright green snake that is extremely deadly and is known to cause a large number of the deadly snakebites in

Thailand (according to my snake book). I almost stepped on one, as they just lie there and don't try to get away. If you step on it, you have a big problem. Lucky for me, my wife saw it and warned me. I dispatched it to the spirit world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So here we go AGAIN!! The Pattaya-romour-spreader.... This green snake-fairytale has been going on all since the drunken expat arrived the very first time in Pattaya.

It is the very first thing you hear here when you enter Thailand,,,, "The green one", you are dead before you hit the ground.... kill all green snakes....

Thanks for spreading that shit.. Suggest you burn that snakebook my friend...

Glegolo

I think you got the numbers all wrong...... We are talking about some 300 different kinds of snakes in Thailand. They estimate only 5% of those to be poisonous, we are therefore talking about maybe 15 of them. And out of these 15 different poisonous snakes only 2-3 of them is really bad for us..... These poisonous snakes can range from that when bite you, gives you maximum pain like a mosquito-bite or maybe like a bee-sting...... BUT take care of the 2-3 other bad ones...

Glegolo

Your number of 2-3 really dangerous ones is rather low.

There are cobras, the pit vipers and kraits. For each of the groups there are several species to be aware of, many of which are deadly, or will cause loss of tissue, even extremities if not treated quickly.

True, the seriously venomous species are greatly outnumbered by the mildly- or non-venomous species, but there are rather more than 2 or 3 that are seriously bad news.

The species in the OP's photos looks to be a Golden Tree Snake. This species is (mildly) venomous and rear-fanged. They will run away wherever possible and are blindingly fast. They will however strike if they cannot get away, but in doing so are unlikely to deliver much if any venom because of the position and size of the fangs... They'd need to chew venom into the wound to do that... They do not therefore represent a serious threat to humans.

They are beautiful (see below).

post-27959-0-15163200-1440986133_thumb.j

Edited by roblgs

If you saw the rear end of the snake and it was light brown, it is a green viper, very dangerous, since they attack.

Green_Viper.jpg
If the rear end was dark brown, it is venomous but not very much.

This one is harmless

Snake_On_My_Terrace.jpg

So here we go AGAIN!! The Pattaya-romour-spreader.... This green snake-fairytale has been going on all since the drunken expat arrived the very first time in Pattaya.

It is the very first thing you hear here when you enter Thailand,,,, "The green one", you are dead before you hit the ground.... kill all green snakes....

Glegolo

In your utter and unmitigated ignorance, I hope you are not unlucky enough to cross paths with a deadly white lipped viper. They are endemic to all of SE Asia and look like this:

post-240396-0-84719300-1440988383_thumb.

Read about them here: http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/white-lipped_pit_viper.htm

At the in-law's house we have a second floor outdoor Thai kitchen. There is a dish rack upon which freshly washed dishes are put. One will grab a bowl or cup from the rack when needed. One afternoon about six months ago, I was standing near the rack with a Thai friend and he asked me if I was trying to pull a joke (I am known for a tendency toward practical jokes). I said, 'No, why would you ask?" He pointed at the white lipped viper placidly wrapped around a part of the dish rack. I guess he thought i had put a rubber snake in there for a joke. It was not joke. I dispatched it to the spirit world, and can guarantee a positive identification.

Had some poor bastard reached in there for a cup or bowl and disturbed that critter, it would have been a sad affair. And with my powers of observation (poor), it would probably have been me. Though not often fatal, this snake's venom does tremendous amount of tissue damage. It is a VERY unpleasant bite.

Unlike the situation at my house, the in-law's house is well populated by rats and other vermin, which may have drawn the snake in.

I cannot, frankly, understand the admonition to "burn that snake book." My snake book is a well thought of field guide: http://www.amazon.com/Photographic-Reptiles-Thailand-Singapore-Peninsular/dp/0883590433/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440987849&sr=1-9&keywords=snakes+thailand

Are you a book burner by nature?

Oh and by the way, I have never been to Pattaya. My handle and avatar are pure mockery.

Edited by Rimmer

Glegolo

In your utter and unmitigated ignorance, I hope you are not unlucky enough to cross paths with a deadly white lipped viper. They are endemic to all of SE Asia and look like this:

attachicon.gifWhite Lipped Viper.jpg

Read about them here: http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/white-lipped_pit_viper.htm

At the in-law's house we have a second floor outdoor Thai kitchen. There is a dish rack upon which freshly washed dishes are put. One will grab a bowl or cup from the rack when needed. One afternoon about six months ago, I was standing near the rack with a Thai friend and he asked me if I was trying to pull a joke (I am known for a tendency toward practical jokes). I said, 'No, why would you ask?" He pointed at the white lipped viper placidly wrapped around a part of the dish rack. I guess he thought i had put a rubber snake in there for a joke. It was not joke. I dispatched it to the spirit world, and can guarantee a positive identification.

Had some poor bastard reached in there for a cup or bowl and disturbed that critter, it would have been a sad affair. And with my powers of observation (poor), it would probably have been me. Though not often fatal, this snake's venom does tremendous amount of tissue damage. It is a VERY unpleasant bite.

Unlike the situation at my house, the in-law's house is well populated by rats and other vermin, which may have drawn the snake in.

I cannot, frankly, understand the admonition to "burn that snake book." My snake book is a well thought of field guide: http://www.amazon.com/Photographic-Reptiles-Thailand-Singapore-Peninsular/dp/0883590433/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440987849&sr=1-9&keywords=snakes+thailand

Oh and by the way, I have never been to Pattaya. My handle and avatar are pure mockery.

Why did you kill it? You could have had it removed from the house. Snakes do a lot of good despit most people being terrified of them, they benefit the environment

Did anybody mention that there is also another bright green snake that is extremely deadly and is known to cause a large number of the deadly snakebites in Thailand (according to my snake book). I almost stepped on one, as they just lie there and don't try to get away. If you step on it, you have a big problem. Lucky for me, my wife saw it and warned me. I dispatched it to the spirit world.

Glegolo

No I am not a book-burner, but I am a book-reader., If YOU are, I cannot say,,, as you are misreading completely or just lying about this green white-liped viper. You say it is DEADLY, causing a lot of deaths here in Thailand.... Actually in your "own" book it does NOT say that at all..... They are bad, they are causing problems, but they are certainly NOT considerated to be in the very same league at all as Kraits, Cobras and especially Russels viper or the Malaysian viper...

Therefore back again to what I really wrote.. I say that since beginning of expat time here in Thailand we all have been feed with this bull about the deadly green little snake that will kill you in an instant.. Rumours are welcomed in the bars and restaurants, especially among those who do NOT live outside those areas..

Thanks to this bull-talk,, (see your own post far above), you are just spreading lies and you actually harm the animals... You create more people that kill everything that moves, limps crawls or even breaths, just because you have scared them... You have obviously scared yourself too.... Sad to say.. The prize that is being paid, is paid by the animals not by you...

So I am not ignorant, that epitet maybe suits somebody else I think..

Glegolo

Please stay on topic, we are talking about a Golden Tree snake in the roof

We hope it was a golden tree snake. The picture was NOT definitive. Often snake bites occur when a victim mistakes a species. Many look very similar. It is important, perhaps a matter of life and death, to let the OP know that there are other possibilities. Other possibilities are on topic.

Glegolo

Why did you kill it? You could have had it removed from the house. Snakes do a lot of good despit most people being terrified of them, they benefit the environment

"Had it removed?" By whom? I live in small village. I have never heard of the "snake handlers" you so often read about on this forum. The strong consensus of all the poeple present (I was the only farang) was to kill it. Actually, consensus puts it mildly; it was unanimous. Had I tried to catch it to remove it, I'd have probably been bitten. On top of everything else, the Thais present would have been fully convinced of my insanity. As it is, they only suspect it.

When ever a snake ID is requested on TVF there are a plethora of answers

given and, quite often, many of them are wrong...or snide remarks such as

...if it's in my yard it's dead etc. In this case the snake is a Golden Tree Snake

or as it is also known, the Paradise Green Tree Snake. The main difference

between the two is it's colouring if there more gold/yellow in the colouring then

it's the Golden, more green then it's the green variant. These snakes are mildly

venomous rear fanged snakes and pose no harm to humans...however...they

will strike & facilitate a good bite if provoked.

If the snake takes a fancy to your roof you won't have any problems with rats,

bats, birds & noisy tokays up there as the snakes eat these critters.

The Golden & Paradise Green are very fast movers on land and through

trees & roof's! Not to exclude mentioning very beautiful snakes.

If it doesn't bother you leave it alone...it'll move on before you know it.

For a truly definitive book on the snakes of LOS I suggest you look at

this website...

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

They have a great book available for free & to get it all you have to do

is register...by providing your email address to which Vern will send you

a link to download the book in PDF format.

FYI LOS has around 200+ different species of snakes, mostly non venomous

and of those 200+ around 60-70 species are venomous & will cause you great

distress or kill you outright.

If you don't know what type of snake you encounter leave it alone or shoo it

away with a long handled broom...a very long handled broom if it gets into

your abode. Never "John Wayne" a snake...aka...try to pick it up. I can verify

everything John Wayne did in the movies was BS because I was bitten & could

have easily lost my hand.

Indeed I would say a Tree snake or one of the Bronze Backs'. The most common in my garden up here in the north is the Common or Painted Bronze Back. About once a month I have to rescue one from my cat , I pick them up and pop them over the wall into the rice field. Don't bother asking neighbours local or ferlung as most will tell you it is a King Cobra as that is the only snake they have heard of.

For a truly definitive book on the snakes of LOS I suggest you look at

this website...

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

They have a great book available for free & to get it all you have to do

is register...by providing your email address to which Vern will send you

a link to download the book in PDF format.

I agree, meant to provide the link in my earlier post... excellent website, and excellent book... great asset to have on a tablet.

WWW.thailandsnakes.com is the best source for identifying snakes in Thailand. He has assisted me several times identifying snakes I have encountered here in Isan. You identify the snake as best you can on his website. Photos greatly help. He will email you in a couple of business days with what he thought you saw. His website is very informative.

Glegolo

sheeeeze guys ...... all he wanted was what kind of snake it was . me thinks your seatbelt on your bar stools a lil to tight .

Frankly, I cannot understand how anybody on this forum could make a positive ID on the OP's snake, given the quality of the photo. it would be like claiming a positive ID of a 7-Eleven robber based only upon a security camera photo of the back of his head (well maybe on Ko Tao . . . ).

According to Snakes and Other Reptiles in Thailand and South-East Asia, by Mere J. Cox, et al:

White Lipped Viper, Trimeresurus albolabris albolabris to 100cm

The body of this attractive viper is fairly stout, the scales keeled. The head and body are green, the chin, throat and belly greenish or yellowish white. Males have a white stripe on the first body scale row which is indistinct or absent on females. The tail is reddish brown. It prefers open country below 400m, sometimes inhabits urban areas. It hunts mice, birds, lizards, and frogs at night on the ground and spends resting in vegetation. Litters comprise 7-16 miniature replicas of the adult, 12-18cm long. Venomous and dangerous [emphasis in original], the species is responsible for many snake-bite cases. Widely distributed in tropical asia, it occurs throughout Thailand.

Instead of resting in vegetation, the one that came to our kitchen was spending a leisurely afternoon in the dish rack. It all started in the Garden of Eden. Everybody like a good snake thread.

Edited by PattayaClub

Did anybody mention that there is also another bright green snake that is extremely deadly and is known to cause a large number of the deadly snakebites in Thailand (according to my snake book). I almost stepped on one, as they just lie there and don't try to get away. If you step on it, you have a big problem. Lucky for me, my wife saw it and warned me. I dispatched it to the spirit world.

Glegolo

No I am not a book-burner, but I am a book-reader., If YOU are, I cannot say,,, as you are misreading completely or just lying about this green white-liped viper. You say it is DEADLY, causing a lot of deaths here in Thailand.... Actually in your "own" book it does NOT say that at all..... They are bad, they are causing problems, but they are certainly NOT considerated to be in the very same league at all as Kraits, Cobras and especially Russels viper or the Malaysian viper...

Therefore back again to what I really wrote.. I say that since beginning of expat time here in Thailand we all have been feed with this bull about the deadly green little snake that will kill you in an instant.. Rumours are welcomed in the bars and restaurants, especially among those who do NOT live outside those areas..

Thanks to this bull-talk,, (see your own post far above), you are just spreading lies and you actually harm the animals... You create more people that kill everything that moves, limps crawls or even breaths, just because you have scared them... You have obviously scared yourself too.... Sad to say.. The prize that is being paid, is paid by the animals not by you...

So I am not ignorant, that epitet maybe suits somebody else I think..

Glegolo

@Giegolo - Thanx, I don't kill snakes either, and have told anyone of the neighbors family if I see them do, they are not welcome in my house/yard, and we have children running around here all the time.

.......and and and do you mean those bright green snakes - "The Deadly Thai Two Step" that goes around biting everyone it can find?? we have them everywhere on our property cheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif