medical insurance after 60 cut off for public

boomerexpat

I'm thinking of moving back to Thailand. Unfortunately, at 62 I'm too old to join the public system and was wondering what those of you who are over 60 do for insurance. I'm from the US and our Medicare system doesn't apply if you live outside the country.

Do you have it? If so, which one?

Or, do you pay out of pocket and just take your chances?

I'm always wary of going without insurance but I've looked at some of the costs for medical insurance once you hit 70 (especially by 75) and it seems to be 500 to 1000 month. Especialy at 1k a month the premiums can buy a lot of medical care.

There are ex pat packages. One that is based out of France is pretty decent. If I remember its about 2 k a year maybe 2.5 U.S.......no out patient and 500,000 per year coverage......Sorry I dont have more info.

Yes, there are expat policies from various European companies that will cover you in Thailand at premiums certainly less than 500-1000 a month (especially if you opt for a deductible).

And some of them will newly enroll at ages 60, 70, in a few cases even 80-90.

Bets to consult an insurance broker, they can give you comparative charts on different policies. I used AOC broker but there are many mroe as well. Google "expatriate insurance broker Thailand".

Suggest sticking to policies issued by a Western based firm (most Thai based won't insure at your age anyhow). And getting only inpatient cover, the additional premium for outpatient is almost never worth it. Inpt policies will cover day surgeries and major procedures as well as hospitalization.

Agreeing to a deductible of say 1,000 - 5,000 USD and/or a copay for day the initial 2-5,000 of expenses will greatly reduce premiums. Then just put the maximum you'd have to pay aside in the bank.

Do NOT come here uninsured and take your chances. Its a recipe for disaster.

Yes, there are expat policies from various European companies that will cover you in Thailand at premiums certainly less than 500-1000 a month (especially if you opt for a deductible).

Bets to consult an insurance broker, they can give you comparative charts on different policies. I used AOC broker but there are many mroe as well. Google "expatriate insurance broker Thailand".

Suggest sticking to policies issued by a Western based firm (most Thai based won't insure at your age anyhow). And getting only inpatient cover, the additional premium for outpatient is almost never worth it. Inpt policies will cover day surgeries and major procedures as well as hospitalization.

Agreeing to a deductible of say 1,000 - 5,000 USD and/or a copay for day the initial 2-5,000 of expenses will greatly reduce premiums. Then just put the maximum you'd have to pay aside in the bank.

Have you heard anything further about a possible reintroduction, of the Thai Government Health Insurance Scheme for the Ferang?

It was "too good to last" but even with a substantial increase in premiums it would be better than what we have been left with, since the demise of the old scheme.

I have an international policy with a UK company (apparently governed by EU law) that works out at about 300 USD per month. It is the lowest cover plan they have so only in-patient care and I pay the first 1000 GBP of any claim.

However the main benefit in my opinion is that the maximum limit of a pay-out claim per year is 500,000 GBP.

Compare this with local policies with their much lower limits.

My only experience with a hospital visit worked out at nearly 1000 GBP per day, and that was with no expensive medical procedures.

I forgot to include that I am just short of 62 myself.

Edited by rak sa_ngop

Have you heard anything further about a possible reintroduction, of the Thai Government Health Insurance Scheme for the Ferang?

It was "too good to last" but even with a substantial increase in premiums it would be better than what we have been left with, since the demise of the old scheme.

No, nothing.

The old scheme was never intended to cover expats, that was an error in its original implementation (Poorly worded administrative directives). . It was designed for migrant workers and it continues as originally intended.

While there is an intention on part of government to eventually address the need for ensuring coverage for other groups of foreigners (i.e. resident expats and tourists) the migrants were the pressing priority and I think it will be quite a while before we see movement on the rest. In the overall scheme of things the Ministry of Public Health has more pressing problems.

For those aged 60+ entering the health insurance market can be eye wateringly expensive even for those with no medical history of note.

I would encourage the Thai government to offer reasonably priced insurance which allowed access to Thai health care facilities.

I know a number of uninsured elderly ex-pats who simply cannot afford the premiums charged by commercial health insurance providers.

For those aged 60+ entering the health insurance market can be eye wateringly expensive even for those with no medical history of note.

I would encourage the Thai government to offer reasonably priced insurance which allowed access to Thai health care facilities.

I know a number of uninsured elderly ex-pats who simply cannot afford the premiums charged by commercial health insurance providers.

Would be nice but don't bank on it.

April/Ambassade i think is the one that would cover for around 2500-2900 euro per year.

http://en.april-international.com/global/asia-health-plan-insurance

Edited by konying

"I have an international policy with a UK company (apparently governed by EU law) that works out at about 300 USD per month. "

I'm trying to get something down at most 200 USD a month since I have around 100 in glaucoma meds each month on top of that. But we shall see.