What can you buy in Bangkok that you can't buy in Pattaya?

Jingthing

SHOPPING IN BANGKOK.

I'm seriously asking and intentionally putting this in the Pattaya forum because what would Bangkok people know about what you can buy now in Pattaya?

YEARS AGO, I think shopping trips to Bangkok were almost a necessity for many expats.

Remember the time BEFORE Villa market and Central Food Hall opened?

NOW, I'm having a hard time thinking of stuff I would want that I can't already buy in Pattaya.

So I'm looking for SPECIFIC EXAMPLES of that.

One thing I thought of was gourmet coffee beans ... there is a much better variety of shops in Bangkok for that.

So when you locals go to Bangkok and go shopping ... what are you shopping for THERE that you can't get here?

Price differences also of interest, natch. For example, if something might be much cheaper in Bangkok than here.

Yes ... there is IKEA Bangkok and we don't that here ... so that's covered.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum kit parts as music shops here have little or no stock of useful things, good antiques, Apple computer repairs .... to mention some of the things I get in Bangkok.

Prices don't come into those as they are just not available here but at comparable costs the sheer variety of fashion wear in Bangkok malls is a draw too.

But having said that, I look for these things when I have to go to Bangkok for other reasons so I don't make special shopping trips there.

quality cable in a variety of sizes and colours, from AWG4 to AWG24

IP67 plugs/sockets

the motor/engine market is miniminimini in Pattaya, huge in BKK

bolts/nuts/springwashers and washers in marine quality stainless (316)

top quality HSS stuff for milling and drilling

proper marine quality fuel filter arrangements for crap and water

various quality tools

Gammel Dansk

plastic bolts/nuts/washers

What about Chatuchak? Other than the tourist schlock what are expats shopping for there other than random surprises?

Loads of cheap dog treats that are resold in other places for higher prices. I go there once in a while to get stuff for my dog.

What about Chatuchak? Other than the tourist schlock what are expats shopping for there other than random surprises?

Loads of cheap dog treats that are resold in other places for higher prices. I go there once in a while to get stuff for my dog.

Bow wow. Now we're talking!

You asked a question you got an answer.. probably not what you liked. There are plenty of things sold there that are cheap and good you just have to know where to look. Might also help to speak Thai guess that counts you out on both counts.

Just look at the tropical fish and aquariums there.

Edited by robblok

IP67 plugs/sockets

various quality tools

Gammel Dansk

Do you get good quality cutting tools (not some Chinese no name inserts) in Bangkok for a good price?

All shops I ever asked for cutting tools for CNC told me 2 week delivery and the price was 2x - 3x from Germany list price (there are also discounts) so I order it in Germany direct.

You asked a question you got an answer.. probably not what you liked. There are plenty of things sold there that are cheap and good you just have to know where to look. Might also help to speak Thai guess that counts you out on both counts.

Tropical fish licklips.gif

You misunderstood me dude. I wasn't dissing your post at all!

He's Dutch.

He can't help it.

He's Dutch.

He can't help it.

No worries. We have a history. Anyway all suggestions are welcome. Doesn't have to be stuff I would buy myself!

IP67 plugs/sockets

various quality tools

Gammel Dansk

Do you get good quality cutting tools (not some Chinese no name inserts) in Bangkok for a good price?

All shops I ever asked for cutting tools for CNC told me 2 week delivery and the price was 2x - 3x from Germany list price (there are also discounts) so I order it in Germany direct.

First: re JJ market: bed linen, china, furniture

cutting tools:

yes,

good price - dunno, bet get it yes (and the shit is not made in China)

my 2 main shops for those goodies:

1)

take rot fai fa to Bearing, exit the station on the left hand side of Sukhumvit (when you look in the same direction as the train is driving in)

down to the sidewalk; walk straight ahead (same direction as the train) for say 150 meters, you will find a hardware shop on your left hand

brilliant shop, main biz is washers/bolts/nuts/springs and the like in all sizes and all sorts of materials and qualities

also sports quality drilling and milling stuff

(the staff is all female, from early 20s to mid 50s, these lasses know way more about threads/properties and this and that than I will ever do)

2)

shop in the outskirts of Yaowarat, in thanon Luang (NO! not Lan Luang, but Luang)

coming from central BKK you would normally drive, Sukhumvit, Ploenchit, Phra Ram 1, then cross a canal, then turn left, then second (or first?) light to the right,

that is thanon Luang, continue that thanon for some blocks, eventually you will cross thanon Worachak,

after having crossed Worachak park, the shop is on the right hand, big windows lots of "drilling" stuff in the windows,

the shop is about, say, 50 meters after having crossed Worachak.

(if you know the area, the Luang/Worachak intersection is the intersection named WORACHAK)

You can get a great cappuccino from "Costa". at Siam Paragon (I think it is their only outlet in Thailand).....and the best carrot cake I have had in Thailand

Probably only the Brits will know who Costa are

Easy to get to on the BTS...........Oh....and that's another thing you can't get in Pattaya

Edited by DD13

From anothet Pattaya thread, meds are cheaper in BKK. A recent example, I bought Aussie brand Blackmores B complex for almost 100 baht less in Central Plaza Rama 9.

While it won't cover the bus fare, many items I buy at Foodland on Klang, are cheaper at BKK Suk soi 16 Foodland. Checked this twice. Same with some Villa items. Plus, BKK Villa sells huge number of prepared foods the Pattaya branch can't touch.

Want American food? Fatty's on Rama 9 BKK is terrific. Bunch of us mixed nationals (US, Cdn, Dane, Thai) ate there this week. All impressed, especially by the wings.

Also, they have some delightful Thai craft brews. Recommended!

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Nothing really.

Except maybe computers, tv games and gadgets , Panthip is a different world than Tukcom and you can buy almost anything for the best price. But after Lazada and other online shopping sites started I don't miss anything , can just order it and most often it's free delivery to Pattaya. Even food or your favourite coffee beans can be ordered online. So no I don't miss anything.

I do miss some other stuff from my home country that can't be found here but thats another story .

Edited by balo