Three million baht cash reward paid

webfact

This is just another attempt at the basic (very basic) Thai psychology techniques....like TAT giving out positive news about tourism et al The police chief is just trying to fool joe or somchai public that all is well the perps have been captured ...everything in the garden is Rosy and nothing for tourists to worry about you can all come back now.....purely and solely based on the fact "nobody in their right minds would hand out 3 million baht (let alone one million of their own money) hence the emphasis on that part of it!!! Unless we had got the actual perps....then again maybe they have wai2.gif

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The national police chief said of the three million baht cash reward, one million baht was from his own purse, and the rest from other friends."

Have I read that right?

Amazing.

I'm not even going to speculate on where that money may have come from.

Does anyone question you where 20,000 english pound came from ??? Get a life--post and suspect for the sake of it---same a few more on here.

Every sweepstake and prize competition in the private sector clearly states that "company employees and their immediate family members are ineligible to participate and cannot claim prizes in case they do". But it seems this doesn't apply to the Royal Thai Police.

If any police officer pretty much anywhere in the world would be awarded (and accepted) a monetary reward put up "for information that ultimately leads to the arrest of the suspect", they would immediately be subjected to hash pubic criticism, and their superiors who handed over the reward would be scrutinized and possibly be subjected to disciplinary action.

In other words: The police (orr any other state agency) are NOT supposed to accept rewards for doing their job! And that is mainly due because such action could be construed as corruption. Period.

I predict there will be a lot of comments making their rounds in local internet forums and on social media now that say something to the effect of, "it was clear from the beginning in whose hands that touted reward would eventually end up".

Well somebody on another thread the other day asked why it took 100 blokes to affect the arrest.

This is why!

Giving themselves the reward!

If the RTP ever had any credibility in this affair they've just shredded it!

So...did Oak pass over his Bt5 million also?

I was looking for an answer to that too.

Someone posted on another thred that Thaksin has made many reward offers but has never had to pay out.

I guess it is like so many other instances of saying something and hope everyone forgets it was said.

Eg. The police chief who would resign if the police killer (Red Bull Heir) wasn't punished.

There are several other examples

Wait, what?! The police investigation team got the reward, and not the landlord who tipped them off?

If there was any lingering doubt as the ineptitude and outright stupidity of the RTP, this has to have removed it.

Agree.

Without the astute Landlord, the RTP would never have found this nest of bombers. They would still be looking for DNA from a week old 100 baht note.

...and the Police get the reward? For what?

Didn't Thaksin also offer $200,000 (USD)? I hope the Landlord at least gets that.

I am sure the Landlord will get his 200k from from Thaksin around the same time the Korean pumps he promised arrive in BKK to help with the flooding....rolleyes.gif

Disgusting!!!

so completely corrupt!

they dont want to give money to the REAL people that help find the culprits.

they dont even have proof that this is the correct guy they caught!!! how can they give a reward if there is no proof it is the real guy or not!!

also: he is giving this money to the police because they will give most of it back to him, (so then he didnt waste any money).

cheesy.gif This is the one cheesy.gif Absolutely unbelievable. Laughing stock of south east Asia now for sure. Firstly they cant say that it is him until he is tried. what on earth are these people doing? WOW living inside a shell is not the words for it. Absolutely CLUELESS!!! What about the taxi drivers who pointed them in the right direction? What about all the private CCTV footage from shops and business on the route he took? What about the people who tipped them of about these apartments? They just don't turn up there ad hoc! The people who are advising these people, well pictures speak a thousand words.

bozo.jpg

Also remember the reward for Osama Bin Laden. What was it something like 200 million dollars dead or alive. Me thinks all those elite soldiers are not retired with a few million each in the bank. Me thinks they are still working as they always have.

Edited by Equalizer

Thai police get $84,000 reward in bombing probe

BANGKOK (AP) — Thai police have awarded themselves a 3 million baht, or $84,000, reward offered to the public for tips leading to the arrest of suspects in Bangkok's deadly bombing after a man was arrested over the weekend in an apartment containing bomb-making equipment.

National police chief Somyot Poompanmoung said Monday that he was taking the unusual step of giving the reward to the police force both to motivate his officers and to show that Thailand's police are good at their job.

"This money should be given to officials who did their job," he said at a news conference as aides brought out stacks of 1,000 baht notes.

It wasn't immediately clear how the money would be distributed to police officers.

On Saturday, police arrested a foreigner who they say was allegedly involved in the Aug. 17 bombing at Bangkok's Erawan Shrine that killed 20 people. The man was arrested at an apartment on the outskirts of Bangkok where police seized bomb-making materials. He is in military custody and has not yet been charged.

"This arrest, I confirm is due purely to the work of police," Somyot said, denying news reports that police had acted on tips.

Since the bombing, police have faced criticism for their handling of the investigation and sending contradictory and confusing messages to the public.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-31

"The national police chief said of the three million baht cash reward, one million baht was from his own purse, and the rest from other friends."

Have I read that right?

Amazing.

I'm not even going to speculate on where that money may have come from.

Does anyone question you where 20,000 english pound came from ??? Get a life--post and suspect for the sake of it---same a few more on here.

Actually, yes. In England if you deposi more than £10k in a bank or use it to buy a car etc, you have to make a declaration as to where the money came from.

Wait up, folks. As the police chief was speaking, it was translated to me that he was releasing the money to the investigation team to be paid out to informants as they see fit.

You'd better get a new translator then because:

"National police chief Somyot Poompanmoung said Monday that he was taking the unusual step of giving the reward to the police force both to motivate his officers and to show that Thailand's police are good at their job.

"This money should be given to officials who did their job," he said at a news conference as aides brought out stacks of 1,000 baht notes.
It wasn't immediately clear how the money would be distributed to police officers.
On Saturday, police arrested a foreigner who they say was allegedly involved in the Aug. 17 bombing at Bangkok's Erawan Shrine that killed 20 people. The man was arrested at an apartment on the outskirts of Bangkok where police seized bomb-making materials. He is in military custody and has not yet been charged.
"This arrest, I confirm is due purely to the work of police," Somyot said, denying news reports that police had acted on tips."

apart from anything else, would it not be normal to hand out monies AFTER the conviction?

Heard of a feeler---a carrot.

A carrot? Oh, that will work well then. All the public will be saying now is that there's no point giving information to the police because the police get the reward. I don't know about other countries but in the UK the police are not eligible for a reward in the course of their duty (same applies in USA). There's a good reason for this and the very reason police should not be eligible in Thailand. It's simple; "Quick let's arrest somebody and claim the reward" So if this was meant to be a 'carrot' it fails badly. But then again, only a Junta adorist would even begin to think of making excuses for this type of behaviour.

Seriously? The reward was given to the police? Why does that not surprise me.

The police should never be allowed to benefit.

You are right.

But... it is NOT public money (e.g. from the Department of Justice), but (according to this article) from Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmoung and his friends as private persons. So it is up to them what do do with it. (How they made their millions is another matter.)

But in any normal western country this would not happen, because police is supposed just to do their job without financial rewards. Compliments, maybe promotion,an/or a bottle of wine... nothing more!