Where to apply for O-A visa

Two people in another forum argue about where to apply for a O-A visa. So I just like to settle it by asking here. One say that you must apply for the O-A visa in your home country, or where you have your permanent residency. The other say that you can just go to the Immigration in Thailand and apply for it.

That visa must be issued by a Thai Consulate where you live and cost about 5,000 baht in local currenty and require both medical and police reports. But many people confuse one year extensions of stay for retirement as being the same - and they are issued by immigration inside Thailand at a cost of 1,900 baht and only require the normal financial proof.

Home country/permanent residency.

Permanent residency: in this case you need some proof of your permanent residence of course.

I did it myself in 2010 (Swiss living in Germany).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I know one immigration officer who refuses to process requests for "visas" or "visa renewals" .

Those living in Thailand should really make some effort to understand what is stamped in their passports and on what basis they are allowed to stay.

• 1 month later...

How many times does it need to be said

Visas are issued outside of Thailand by Consulates and Embassies

Extension of stays are issued inside of Thailand by Immigration

Except when Non-Imm 'O' visas are issued by local immigration as a prelude to granting an extension. This has happened to people entering on tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

How many times does it need to be said

Visas are issued outside of Thailand by Consulates and Embassies

Extension of stays are issued inside of Thailand by Immigration

Except when Non-Imm 'O' visas are issued by local immigration as a prelude to granting an extension. This has happened to people entering on tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

Conversions from tourist visas and visa exempt entries to a "O" visa entry can only be done in Bangkok.

The process takes about two weeks and involves two visits to immigration.