Is it ok for your girlfriend to call you farang to her friends?

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. The answer to either of those questions is not "the farang"

I also cannot recall my wife or her family ever referring to me as "the farang". Neither have my colleagues.

As mentioned above it's about context. Describing someone as farang, like describing someone as Asian is different to referring to them as "the Asian."

OB

You are taking a tour to a place that only lets in Thai people. The person on the phone asks your wife/GF is your husband Thai or Farang.

Where is this place that only lets in Thai people?

Where ever the place is us Farang should boycott it!!

Thai Navy base and beaches owned by the navy outside of Pattaya. That is the idea. They don't want you to come. How would you go about boycotting a place that won't let you in?

Edited by lostoday

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where is this place that only lets in Thai people?

Where ever the place is us Farang should boycott it!!

Thai Navy base and beaches owned by the navy outside of Pattaya. That is the idea. They don't want you to come. How would you go about boycotting a place that won't let you in?

Did you notice something flying over your head just then?

I think that was the joke.

No its rude and ignorant and racist.

Not to me.

Therefore it isn't.

Your choice you have freedom of belief , It is racist to many others and myself

I would like to go to the beach. I'm sorry you can not. Why? They don't let Farang in; it is a Navy regulation.

I would like to go to a restaurant. Thai or Farang? Up to you.

Can you assume that the person speaking in the two above examples was racist?

Not to me.

Therefore it isn't.

Indeed. As applies to your goodself. Quite simply, we view things differently

If I am not offended I probably have a more comfortable time in the presence of Thais.

A Pound to Penny says that there is something else (relating to the Thais) that I would find offensive/problematical that doesn't bother you at all.

Not to me.

Therefore it isn't.

Yes sure,its the same as being called nigger. But who gives a sxxt ? up to them

It really isn't.

Yes, I'm sure. As is anyone else familiar with what the two words actually mean.

Well these days many jump on the so called racist band wagon Pathetic. I could not care at all what they call me,or a sack of rice fell over in china.

What context did she say it in - what was the sentence she said?

I trhink you are over reacting. I have been married to a Thai for 8 years and she still cals me Farang when she talks to her friends once in awhile. Of course if you are insecure and think she is using you, which she probably is, ditch her and find another one.

I trhink you are over reacting. I have been married to a Thai for 8 years and she still cals me Farang when she talks to her friends once in awhile. Of course if you are insecure and think she is using you, which she probably is, ditch her and find another one.

Do you call her "Asian" when speaking with your friends? I'd never call my wife that. She has a name. As do I.

I wouldnt sweat the small stuff.......

It is amazing to me how something this trivial and meaningless can cause such a rash of caustic commentgs. If you are here, and not a Thai, you are indeed, a Farang. Get over it and get used to it. There must be a real heat wave or terrible rainy season in progreess to cause this kind of stir..LOL

Do you call her "Asian" when speaking with your friends? I'd never call my wife that. She has a name. As do I.

Nooo!

Many will be far more personal by using "My TGF" or "My TW",,,

It is amazing to me how something this trivial and meaningless can cause such a rash of caustic commentgs. If you are here, and not a Thai, you are indeed, a Farang. Get over it and get used to it. There must be a real heat wave or terrible rainy season in progreess to cause this kind of stir..LOL

Indeed - nevertheless it remains an interesting topic as opinions and experiences vary widely. In fact there has been a whole spectrum of differing opinions which is pretty much par for the course... It goes to show that any generalisation, even about a simple word is likely to be incorrect.

Perhaps some can't face the reality that their dearest behaves disrespectfully towards them, after all she doesn't really mean it, its just the Thai way (or some other rubbish excusing ignorance).

Or perhaps some, don't like the idea that they haven't really been exposed to Thailand to the degree they thought they had... i.e. they don't know what they don't know.

Or perhaps some who have been here for any decent length of time have successfully avoided those who may choose to use such phrases.

...... opinions are like bottoms, everyone has one, everyone else's stinks....

When I first came to Thailand, about 8 years ago, I didn't feel comfortable when they called me farang....Now I 'm proud if they do...

As I recall I was "affectionately" called farang Trans, when they got used to the Trans name they then all called me Trans...or hansum Trans.....giggle.gif

In yer dreams t/a

Indeed - nevertheless it remains an interesting topic as opinions and experiences vary widely. In fact there has been a whole spectrum of differing opinions which is pretty much par for the course... It goes to show that any generalisation, even about a simple word is likely to be incorrect.

Perhaps some can't face the reality that their dearest behaves disrespectfully towards them, after all she doesn't really mean it, its just the Thai way (or some other rubbish excusing ignorance).

Or perhaps some, don't like the idea that they haven't really been exposed to Thailand to the degree they thought they had... i.e. they don't know what they don't know.

Or perhaps some who have been here for any decent length of time have successfully avoided those who may choose to use such phrases.

As I understand it, the laws in the UK are such that if someone feels offended by a ("racist") remark then it is deemed to be offensive i.e. the test is whether the recipient considers it offensive.

Thailand, to the best of my knowledge, does not have such laws.

I firmly believe that the 'F word' is rarely intended offensively but offence is often taken because an (incorrect) assumption that it is showing a respect or is ignorant.

It is 'cultural' (whatever that means) - there are Thais and then there are others. Those others can be Farang, Yellow man, Chocolate man etc. The lack of education and ignorance is institutional.

As I understand it, the laws in the UK are such that if someone feels offended by a ("racist") remark then it is deemed to be offensive i.e. the test is whether the recipient considers it offensive.

Thailand, to the best of my knowledge, does not have such laws.

I firmly believe that the 'F word' is rarely intended offensively but offence is often taken because an (incorrect) assumption that it is showing a respect or is ignorant.

It is 'cultural' (whatever that means) - there are Thais and then there are others. Those others can be Farang, Yellow man, Chocolate man etc. The lack of education and ignorance is institutional.

There are a number of UK laws that cover racist abuse, but they generally hinge on intent on the abusers part to cause distress or incite racial hatred, rather than how the recipient interprets the abuse.

Had a german girlfriend who often referred to me as der englander, likewise i referred to her as the kraut, dont make a big thing about it.

And that relationship lasted well then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NO! "farang" does not = foreigner, it means Caucasian.

The Japanese are not farang, the Lao are not farang, and the oriental "asians" like Connie Chung that are 100% American are not farang either.

Farang = Caucasian and yes it's racist but racism is accepted here in Thailand by the Thais, just don't do it to them.

Merely using a word to refer to someone's race does not constitute racism.

Umm.... "n*gger" comes to mind.

That's not merely using a descriptive word. It's a well-established offensive term - hardly the same as just calling someone 'black' or 'white'.

It's staggering that anyone needs this stuff explaining to them.

It's staggering that you first say "merely using a word to refer to someone's race does not constitute racism" and when i do actually write a word for you that does exactly that you can't man up and admit you were wrong and start distorting what you wrote to something that suites your weird "holier than thou" attitude you have on this forum.

Merely using a word to refer to someone's race does not constitute racism.

Umm.... "n*gger" comes to mind.

That's not merely using a descriptive word. It's a well-established offensive term - hardly the same as just calling someone 'black' or 'white'.

It's staggering that anyone needs this stuff explaining to them.

It's staggering that you first say "merely using a word to refer to someone's race does not constitute racism" and when i do actually write a word for you that does exactly that you can't man up and admit you were wrong and start distorting what you wrote to something that suites your weird "holier than thou" attitude you have on this forum.

The word you wrote is not merely a descriptive term for a race, but one of the most offensive words in the English language. Not really the same thing.

Referring to someone's race is not racism. Using a grossly offensive term to do so is racism. Not grasping the difference - well, that's something else entirely.

As an aside, how about you lay off the personal stuff. Play the ball, not the man...

Edited by SoiBiker

Haha.. and some should google the word "loser"

I guess there are farangs and by the same token, there are farang losers. I reckon you must be much more familiar with the latter.

Haha.. Why you respond to my quote? Are you feeling a little bit insecure about it?

do you crack one off while trolling?

I am not trolling! I was talking serious about this matter. Until "professor" NanLaew was trying to be a smartass...

You 'was talking serious'... with each post prefixed with 'Haha..'?

Forgive us if we don't take you seriously.

Unless of course that's a nervous laugh?

Edited by NanLaew

Haha.. and some should google the word "loser"

I guess there are farangs and by the same token, there are farang losers. I reckon you must be much more familiar with the latter.

Haha.. Why you respond to my quote? Are you feeling a little bit insecure about it?

I am not trolling! I was talking serious about this matter. Until "professor" NanLaew was trying to be a smartass...

Oh... I forgive you! You don't know better.... If your wife calls you 'Farang' instead of your name, that means she doesn't respect you! If your own wife not even respect you, who in this world would respect you?

I don't want to judge anyone, but I think a lot of people are going to be offended. I think the people who say it is okay when there wife, or her family are showing a lack of respect, (by calling you farrang when they know your name) are probably the people who pay there wife and her family a lot of money every month to stay with them!