Nok Air Cheating Tourists

Tim207

Always flown Air Asia in the past but someone recommended Nok Air so I took a look at their fares. Looks like a pretty good deal to saigon for the basic fare, baggage allowance included. I don't know why I hit the currency tab, but I changed from Baht to USD. The fare is 2980 baht but if you pay in $ it is $108.75 At current exchange rate that is a difference of almost 900 baht. If you don't uncheck the options the fare is 3660 baht or $167.75 a difference of almost 2300 baht. I would expect there to be some difference but that is absurd. I always pay in local currency but wanted others to be aware how much extra you may be paying for the convenience of paying in other than baht.

I think this is a pretty sleazy business tactic. Although I still may use them because of the baggage allowance I will never consider them for regular use, unless of course someone can point out something wrong with my conclusion.

Never, ever, select a foreign currency when paying by credit card. The rate is terrible.

Yes, I believe this was discussed on another thread, particularly as it relates to British tourists. If one uses a credit card, one should always choose the local currency. I believe businesses the world over will try to get you to pay using foreign currency. It's not a Nok Air or Thailand thing.

Thanks for the warning. But is not only Nok air that tries to cheat tourists. It happens many places around the world.

I was in London Gatwick recently as a tourist and needed to withdraw some cash from a Moneycorp ATM.

The ATM suggested I pay in my local Credit card currency. I calculated that thay would take around 9 % surcharge for this conversion service.

So obviously I chose to withdraw the pounds without conversion. But I am sure many tourists get cheated by this ATM.

Nok Air still get Thai baht, thus Nok is not cheating tourists.

ANYTHING you pay with credit card should be paid in the countries currency.

It's MasterCard And Visa who are nailing you with DCC, Dynamic Currency Conversion.

Get your facts right before posting rubbish.

Edited by tartempion

As I said, I would expect there to be a difference if paying in other currencies. A fee for convenience is fair. Nok is not adding a small convenience fee, depending on options it is 1/3 to 2/3 more expensive. That is absurd.

As for those who stated everyone does it or it is the credit card companies not Nok, I looked at the same route for Air Asia. The price was 3493 baht or $102.93 (about 3654 baht). That is only about 150 baht difference.

Questionsrepiies, I won't ask if you are a rocket scientist, the answer to that is obvious to all. Yes, many people, especially tourists, look at prices in their home currency because that is their point of reference. Viewing prices in local currencies requires them to know exchange rates and calculate the cost in their reference currency themselves. Most understand that they will pay a little extra for this. Nobody expects to pay 65% more for this.

I will also be flying from Malaysia to Hong Kong. When I check the flights I will look at prices in baht because that is my reference currency and I am pretty sure my local 7/11 doesn't want to be paid in Ringgits.

I prefer to do business with companies that don't try to take advantage of people so that I don't have to waste my time checking to see if I am being cheated.

If you just put your hands up and said "I was stupid for checking the currency box, please be more attentive than me when booking" you would have got a few 'likes' on your post.

Don't try and heap the blame on NOK. I doubt they have an evil bone in their body (a few flaws in their online booking system re baggage maybe) and their cabin crew are cute.

Caveat emptor but thanks for highlighting what some people may not have been aware of.

It's MasterCard And Visa who are nailing you with DCC, Dynamic Currency Conversion.

Embarrassing hoisted by your own petard, as it is you who is guilty of posting rubbish.

DCC has absolutely nothing to do with VISA/Mastercard.

It is a separate product sold to financial institutions that aims to cut VISA/Mastercard out of the equation, in order to commandeer the foreign exchange fee that is often charged by the purchasers home financial institution. Again absolutely nothing to do with Visa/Mastercard and everything to do with the local institution and the vendor.. The vendor together with their local. card processor are trying to increase their bottom line by utilising DCC. Don't let them tell you different.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Embarrassing hoisted by your own petard, as it is you who is guilty of posting rubbish.

It is a separate product sold to financial institutions that aims to cut VISA/Mastercard out of the equation, in order to commandeer the foreign exchange fee that is often charged by the purchasers home financial institution. Again absolutely nothing to do with Visa/Mastercard and everything to do with the local institution and the vendor.. The vendor together with their local. card processor are trying to increase their bottom line by utilising DCC. Don't let them tell you different.

No,not the vendor, only the bank.

No,not the vendor, only the bank.

It depends on whether the vendor benefits from lower card processing fees.