How Buddhism is different from others

only1

Well said, "faith" and the worst form of faith I have seen is 'blind faith'.

A well-known Buddhist elder once said people often 'imagine that the ordinary wooden table bed they sleep on is a gold plated throne'.

I spent only five years of my life in a catholic land and the rest in Tharavada Buddhist lands. I don't need rocket science to prove true/false about religion. All you need is 'common sense' and 'power of reasoning.' You don't need to worship science just to criticise Buddhism or Christianity or Hinduism or Islam or even the Atheism.

Bye folks! Please enjoy life!

There are people who just dont understand or pretend not to understand common sense or reasoning in order to protect their religion and take advantage of their ignorant followers.

This happens because of selfishness too. I know many knowledgeable people who will not contribute or share their knowledge without monetary benefits. This indirectly promotes ignorance. Christianity is rich due to their money collections tactics so they can afford people everywhere.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A well-known Buddhist elder once said people often 'imagine that the ordinary wooden table bed they sleep on is a gold plated throne'.

I spent only five years of my life in a catholic land and the rest in Tharavada Buddhist lands. I don't need rocket science to prove true/false about religion. All you need is 'common sense' and 'power of reasoning.' You don't need to worship science just to criticise Buddhism or Christianity or Hinduism or Islam or even the Atheism.

There are people who just dont understand or pretend not to understand common sense or reasoning in order to protect their religion and take advantage of their ignorant followers.

This happens because of selfishness too. I know many knowledgeable people who will not contribute or share their knowledge without monetary benefits. This indirectly promotes ignorance. Christianity is rich due to their money collections tactics so they can afford people everywhere.

plenty of rich buddhist monks too pal

rocky,

I do not spin and I am not interested in using any religious teachings to spin. As far as Buddhism is concerned, I only understand the 4NT, N8FP and live by the 5 Precepts and I think that gives me enough purpose to share the truth about Christianity in order to save their followers as well as preventing more victims falling to them. I believe in karma and even if I don't, I will be living with guilt and against my own conscience for doing nothing or hiding the truth.

Belief without empirical facts requires faith.

You are displaying faith but will not acknowledge it.

Displaying faith and quite the evangelical spirit too, trying so hard to save the souls of the Christians...
Displaying evangelical spirits yes but not faith or blindfaith like christians and Muslims.

Have you followed the Buddhist path to the endgame and reached enlightenment?

Unless you, yourself, have actually reached that place, then you are relying on faith. You are relying on faith that the teachings do what they say they do, despite your denial.

Isn't part of Buddhism giving up denial?

Plenty is not all. In the case of Christianity, ALL churches used the same psychological trick in collecting money.

Plenty is not all. In the case of Christianity, ALL churches used the same psychological trick in collecting money.

Ridiculous statement. You can't put that label on all Christian churches. Many, sure. A majority, possibly. All is over the top.

On the flip side, I get being angry at big organized religion, and all the little evils that get done in it's name. I spent some years in that place after leaving big organized religion behind.

You do realize how much like a street corner preacher you sound, proclaiming your true way, while castigating the infidels for their evil ways?

Ridiculous statement. You can't put that label on all Christian churches. Many, sure. A majority, possibly. All is over the top.

On the flip side, I get being angry at big organized religion, and all the little evils that get done in it's name. I spent some years in that place after leaving big organized religion behind.

You do realize how much like a street corner preacher you sound, proclaiming your true way, while castigating the infidels for their evil ways?

Why not ? Can you name which church do not collect money by passing the money bag during mass and not starting from the front row to the back ?

I don't understand your last sentence. Please elaborate.

It is very obvious that you do not really know what Christianity in true sense means! Please wake up!, there are some Christian denominations who do not live on and for money!

Please get out of your small world, mate!

In one Theravada Buddhist land, the local Buddhists may associate you to 'a small frog sitting inside a shallow and rainwater-filled buffalo's footprint. The little frog thinks that his is the vast ocean!'

I am sure you do not want to be that little frog, do you?

Please open up, widen out yourself before throwing on others. Learn and teach yourself first. Then others will see your wisdom without you uttering a word.

IMO

It is very obvious that you do not really know what Christianity in true sense means! Please wake up!, there are some Christian denominations who do not live on and for money!

Please get out of your small world, mate!

In one Theravada Buddhist land, the local Buddhists may associate you to 'a small frog sitting inside a shallow and rainwater-filled buffalo's footprint. The little frog thinks that his is the vast ocean!'

I am sure you do not want to be that little frog, do you?

Please open up, widen out yourself before throwing on others. Learn and teach yourself first. Then others will see your wisdom without you uttering a word.

IMO

Before you carry on, can you please be clear ?

Instead of giving me such general remarks, can you be more specific on which part you think I wrote wrongly about Christianity and why ?

Earlier you mentioned you have been with Christianity 5 years and Buddhism the rest of your life but you don't reply me which comes first, why ?

Anyway, based on what you wrote about yourself, it looks like you are the one who has ever misunderstood one religion or maybe both ?

Now, who looks more like that little frog ?

Only.

Do you really believe the stuff you write?

Is your sole objection to Christianity the way they collect money?

When you evaluate Christianity you do realize there are two aspects to the raising of money.

Firstly the churches imperative of caring for the needy through tithe or money collection.

Secondly the church members misuse/abuse of this money.

This second in no way diminishes the genuine need for the church to assist those in need, but reflects the greed of some who are associated with it.

Buddhists are no different.

My friend asked the head Monk to exorcise a soul of a woman who had been murdered.

She placed an envelope with a large wad of money in his alms bowl.

Buddhist collect huge sums of money each year.

The bowl collection doesn't need to be performed publicly.

Each Buddhist knows that Buddha (kharma) watches and calculates invisibly & silently.

Firstly some of this money will go towards the needy and to improve the temple.

Secondly, as with Christianity, some of the money will go directly into the Monks pocket.

This again in no way diminishes the teachings themselves but is a reflection of the greedy associated with it.

Are you deluded (to mislead the mind or judgment of; deceived)?

How can "a life practicing Concentration, Mindfulness, and Ethical behavior result in Awakening & bring about the cessation, in Samsara, of Re Birth into multiple lives, resulting in a permanent & unconditioned Nibhanna state" be described as common sense & power of reasoning?

Come on Only.

Be honest.

You are fooling with us aren't you?

No one could be this deluded.

Why Only!

One of the Theravada Buddhist Elders taught me 'not to respond to hostilities, for, Siddhārtha Gautama the last Buddha walked the middle way as a path of moderation, so I take it. I was not fully convinced, though. i.e. leaving his wife Yaśodharā and his infant son Rāhula behind and went out to seek four noble truths for himself sounds quite selfish to me. IMO.

As a human you want to be humane do you not?, caring your beloved wife whom you tied the knots with and the Children that you fathered?

On the otherhand I love the Christ but not the many hypocritical churches!

In the later case, I can reach as much resources I want in order to investigate and examine to my satisfaction at my very finger tips.

Use common sense and power of reason, be peaceable with everyone regardless of their beliefs, please, I entreat you!

Why not ? Can you name which church do not collect money by passing the money bag during mass and not starting from the front row to the back ?

I could start with all the Christian denominations that don't celebrate mass. The Mormons don't pass the plate, but they expect 10% of your earnings. I have seen a lot of donation boxes at a lot of Buddhist shrines around the world too.

Almost all clubs have dues. It takes money to keep the roof patched and the lights on at the clubhouse.

nonsense

I could start with all the Christian denominations that don't celebrate mass. The Mormons don't pass the plate, but they expect 10% of your earnings. I have seen a lot of donation boxes at a lot of Buddhist shrines around the world too.

Almost all clubs have dues. It takes money to keep the roof patched and the lights on at the clubhouse.

I am not against donations.

I wrote earlier that Christianity's use of passing the bag or the plate(instead of just a stationed box like other religions) proved they are using psychological trick to collect more.

Speaking of the Mormons, they are much more sincere than Christianity. Their practice is also much more Buddhism-like compared to Christianity. Maybe that is why they don't use the money plate and other Christianity don't recognise them as Christians. The irony is, with only a history of just 200 year, they now live 10 years longer. This is a big slap to Christianity proving their God is either fake or bias, isn't it.

I am not against donations.

I wrote earlier that Christianity's use of passing the bag or the plate(instead of just a stationed box like other religions) proved they are using psychological trick to collect more.

Speaking of the Mormons, they are much more sincere than Christianity. Their practice is also much more Buddhism-like compared to Christianity. Maybe that is why they don't use the money plate and other Christianity don't recognise them as Christians. The irony is, with only a history of just 200 year, they now live 10 years longer. This is a big slap to Christianity proving their God is either fake or bias, isn't it.

lol this just gets better and better

Good that you like them.

Unless when I ask questions,I will not contribute anything unless I know they are useful.

I am currently doing research work to help promote Buddhism as well as to find out the truth behind all major religions. If I know they are bad, I will highlight

<...>

I am currently doing research work to help promote Buddhism as well as to find out the truth behind all major religions. If I know they are bad, I will highlight

I certainly hope you are dedicated to this and put the time into doing research and studying the 'truth' behind all major religions before deciding how and where to promote Buddhism.

Should take you about 50 years.

I believe Buddhism is best promoted through the people who are following the path and do, understand and benefit from the practice.

Maybe 50 years to achieve full enlightenment or never but no need much time to understand all the truth behind any religion. Christianity and Islam are easy, 5 hours of reading and common sense is enough. Buddhism may take anywhere between 5 hours to 5 days or 5 weeks the most. I refer to just understanding and knowing the truth of these religions.

Don't understand what you meant by this case. It's just someone who did a crime in the wrong place and got imprisoned. This imprisonment is not done in the name of Buddhism, unlike the holy wars and crusades where many people are killed. And the ongoing never ending fights between Christians and Muslims.

Don't understand what you meant by this case. It's just someone who did a crime in the wrong place and got imprisoned. This imprisonment is not done in the name of Buddhism, unlike the holy wars and crusades where many people are killed. And the ongoing never ending fights between Christians and Muslims.

Jail time for insulting Buddha not done in the name of Buddhism?

Just because the Buddhist holy wars happened a long time ago in a place most of us don't pay much attention to, does not make them any less real.

It's also interesting that you seem to view this man's 'crime' as something that ought to be a crime.

Jail time for insulting Buddha not done in the name of Buddhism?

Just because the Buddhist holy wars happened a long time ago in a place most of us don't pay much attention to, does not make them any less real.

It's also interesting that you seem to view this man's 'crime' as something that ought to be a crime.

The judge jailed him, not the Buddha or Buddhism.

I don't heard of holy wars involved Buddhism, please name some.

If it's not crime, the jailed can appeal. In Rome, you follow Roman law, if Thailand, you follow Thai law, understood, don't blame buddhism just for the sake of argument. As for holy wars and crusades, the bible and Quran advocated them, including slavery. Buddhism teachings never advocate killings.

Am I clear ?

After reading the whole article, I can understand that it's a political issue due to minority or outsiders, same as the Myanmar case, and as mentioned, they felt they are under threats, which Muslims are fond of doing and Christians always wanted to convert others.

I don't see how this issue could be taken as a Buddhism practice or an act of religious violence. Firstly, it's small compared to the holy wars and crusades, secondly, these Buddhists did not go out of their country to attack or convert others like Muslims and Christians, thirdly, it's personal affairs of a few, and 4thly, Buddhism teachings never advocate killings, unlike the bible and the Quran.

I think it's becoming clear you are trolling at best, delusional at worst.

This is a Buddhism forum and I am promoting Buddhism, I admit.

So why are anti-Buddhism people doing here ? So who is trolling ?

Not that I am against anyone going against Buddhism, but argue or debate it in a reasonable way, no use calling names or just passing remarks. It only reflects yourself or your religion.

Do you see any Buddhist behaving in such manner ?

I think it's becoming clear you are trolling at best, delusional at worst.

This is a Buddhism forum and I am promoting Buddhism, I admit.

So why are anti-Buddhism people doing here ? So who is trolling ?

Not that I am against anyone going against Buddhism, but argue or debate it in a reasonable way, no use calling names or just passing remarks. It only reflects yourself or your religion.

Do you see any Buddhist behaving in such manner ?

I am not anti-Buddhist, in fact I self identified as Buddhist for a long time, and still have many Buddhist principles incorporated into my own belief system.

What I am against is the kind of delusional anti-logic you keep spouting.

You have an example just a few posts back of a Buddhist monk acting in what seems to me a very anti-Buddhist manner, another example of someone being imprisoned for "insulting Buddha", you have history that can easily be accessed about Buddhist secular wars in Nepal not long after the death of Buddha, yet you deny any of this has anything to do with Buddhism.

Yes, I'm beginning to suspect you are a troll. I see your user name is perhaps a reference to your stand that Buddhism is the "only 1" of the world's religions to not be "proven wrong" by logic, while at the same time arguing your bizarre points with nothing resembling logic at all.

OK,OK...now I got it clearer that Only is not really seeking for "Truth"; I thought people I have been talking to here are broadminded on religions.

As a final note to you,

1. Theravada Buddhist Elders told me that the last Buddha's teaching "human being are mere idiots" including you, me, and the teacher himself. It sounds true especially when talking about religions, most people demonstrate such tendency. Therefore, I advocate people to break free from such boundage.

2. Many Elders, not all, including well educated monks admited that there is "no end" when searching for truth and thus they agreed on the fact that even the last Buddha did not reached to his end, suggesting he could have found something new should his life had prolonged. Therefore they recommended to "keep on seeking".

I am no savoir as the last Buddha uttered to one of his disciples. If anyone claims that he will save in the name of Buddha(s), he is making himself a laughing stalk or an imposter.

The ignorant westerners may subscribe such idea! In fact, I have met many westeners taking up Buddhism are doing so for their own economic advantage. In one Tharavada Buddhist land they can get long stay "meditation visa" under the title to learn the "ism" and going into monkhood attached with many freebies. Most of the westerners plunging there never had dug deep enough to seek **truth** either of their inherited religion or into the target one before taking such step.

What a pity that the saying " ignorance is bliss " still found to be true even in this 21st century!

I personally feel pity for westerners from some of whom I learned to "think" and to use "common sense" are walking "blindly". I remember that the " ism" and the secular educations in lands following the "ism" only confines people into *memorizing*, meaningless *recitings* and bring people up to "take orders and not to question" or become "Yes" men.

Just last week one of my Thai colleagues holding a "Director" position in an US based multinational/international company commented on providing 'practicle educational course on sustainablity' to farmers 'is useless'. Why? He spent 14 months to do his "master" but he can't recall any of them. Therefore, in his view "proper traing" is not the basic and right solution.

Take it or leave it mate!

IMO.

Archived