Police to announce arrest of 'Bangkok bomber'

webfact

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We know for sure that the last guy they arrested, in the flat full of bomb-making materials, was involved in bomb-making, and more than likely connected to the recent atrocity. I still think he looks more like the CCTV bag guy than this recent arrest does. But the CCTV was very low quality, so it would be wrong to use that as any real basis. The first arrested man, his features stood out to me as similar, within the context of poor CCTV, there were still resemblances. This guy less so. We have all assumed that this group has many people involved, and I think this is true, and it is quite possible that this man arrested around the border, is part of the bomb-making terror group. It is also possible that the actual yellow-shirt man is related to one or more of the people arrested already, and looks similar, which would add to the confusion.

It is clear that the first man was guilty of being a bomb-maker, with intent to cause mass-murder. Ball-bearings are only added to kill and maim as many innocents as possible. Bombs used against civilians are still weapons of war, and so any person building or detonating them should expect to be treated as an enemy in war, and should not expect prison counselling and cups of tea. A short time after such a bomb exploded, destroying the lives of so many innocent families and friends of the dead and maimed, if a person is then arrested sitting in a room building those same ball-bearing bombs, he *should* expect to get knocked around most vigorously in custody. The fact that he started out silent for the first day, and then went totally Eurovision all of a sudden, shows that this may infact have been successful.

This is obviously differrent to persons arrested for other reasons, ie. not sitting in a room full of bomb materials. Questioning of suspects who are not caught red-handed, should always respect the possibility that they are innocent. I see there is a justifiable grey area in this, due to the nature of war and persons caught building weapons of war in their flats, are in a different category to people who are just stopped while fleeing the country.

I think that the Royal Thai Police and other security personnel have done some outstanding work in catching the man in Bangkok, with the bomb materials in his flat. I see that as a huge achievement on every level. We shall have to wait and see if the other suspected members of this group were actually involved, including the man arrested near the border yesterday.

I liked your post, and agree with everything - right up to the last paragraph.

If they had come out and said they tracked him down using phone metadata from the outset, instead they spent 18 hours letting people think the landlord phoned in a tip (including some fantastic details for something that allegedly never happened), had the area not already been cleared by themselves, had they not spent the first few hours certain he was the yellow shirt guy, had they not consistently sent mixed messages, had they not caused alarm in the community by showing an unrelated picture of a suicide vest, had they not given the reward to themselves - one could call their work outstanding, as it is it looks more like pure luck than "outstanding" police work.

If they had come out and said they tracked him down using phone metadata from the outset, instead they spent 18 hours letting people think the landlord phoned in a tip (including some fantastic details for something that allegedly never happened), had the area not already been cleared by themselves, had they not spent the first few hours certain he was the yellow shirt guy, had they not consistently sent mixed messages, had they not caused alarm in the community by showing an unrelated picture of a suicide vest, had they not given the reward to themselves - one could call their work outstanding, as it is it looks more like pure luck than "outstanding" police work.

I have assumed that they received multiple tip-offs due to the size of the reward on offer, and they will have had to trace and analyse all those potential leads. That is a lot of work to do, with no results. If they did trace the bomb-maker using mobile phone data, that to me is outstanding police-work too.

The mixed-messages factor seems partly intentional, they said a neighbour tipped-off, possibly because they were still following the mobile-phone data angle, and didn't want the suspects to know this. No decent investigation-team will tell the newspapers all the details of what they actually know during a hot-pursuit situation. It may often be beneficial to put out vague or contradictory messages, to keep the suspects off-guard. And then of course there are genuine mistakes, which are always made in times of great stress.

But overall, I see the act of locating the bomb-maker as excellant police-work, it has saved countless lives, and it was achieved in a very short time. I think the Royal Thai Police deserve great praise for this.

Except the guy they're currently parading around doesn't resemble the yellow shirt guy...

attachicon.gifCNzgTG6UwAAUnEF.jpg

Edit: Unless, of course, this isn't the guy they're accusing of being the yellow shirt guy, and some other cell member.

I think this guy does resemble the yellow shirt CCTV footage but he does not resemble the police sketch which I've said all along does not even look near the CCTV images.

I think the BIB got their man.Good work!

BREAKING: Police to Announce Arrest of 'Bangkok Bomber'

By Khaosod English

14410948421441094937l.jpg

CCTV photos of alleged Bangkok bomber at the Erawan Shrine.

BANGKOK — Police will soon announce the arrest of the “yellow shirted man,” the prime suspect in the deadly bombing of the Erawan Shrine earlier this month, according to a reporter from the Bangkok Post.

In a message posted to Twitter, Wassana Nanuam said the arrest happened in Sa Kaeo province near the border with Cambodia, citing Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha as her source.

According to Wassana, Gen. Prayuth said the suspect is a foreigner.

Meanwhile TNN news reports that a televised adress will be given by police spokesman Prawuth Tharownsiri at 3:30pm.

Full story http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1441094842

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-09-01

so---- what is the bangkok police chief going to do now? take back the reward money that he gave his "buddies"? the key stone cops have nothing on this group of dumbo's!

Hopefully they have the right person or persons involved in the bombing.

Meantime while they make arrests, that old saying: "One Thing Leads to Another".......... may be the case here while leading the authorities to the correct person or persons they are seeking while uncovering more anti government activists than they were previously aware of and just how much pent up hatred there is out there.

Lets hope they uncover the truth.

Cheers

We know for sure that the last guy they arrested, in the flat full of bomb-making materials, was involved in bomb-making, and more than likely connected to the recent atrocity. I still think he looks more like the CCTV bag guy than this recent arrest does. But the CCTV was very low quality, so it would be wrong to use that as any real basis. The first arrested man, his features stood out to me as similar, within the context of poor CCTV, there were still resemblances. This guy less so. We have all assumed that this group has many people involved, and I think this is true, and it is quite possible that this man arrested around the border, is part of the bomb-making terror group. It is also possible that the actual yellow-shirt man is related to one or more of the people arrested already, and looks similar, which would add to the confusion.

It is clear that the first man was guilty of being a bomb-maker, with intent to cause mass-murder. Ball-bearings are only added to kill and maim as many innocents as possible. Bombs used against civilians are still weapons of war, and so any person building or detonating them should expect to be treated as an enemy in war, and should not expect prison counselling and cups of tea. A short time after such a bomb exploded, destroying the lives of so many innocent families and friends of the dead and maimed, if a person is then arrested sitting in a room building those same ball-bearing bombs, he *should* expect to get knocked around most vigorously in custody. The fact that he started out silent for the first day, and then went totally Eurovision all of a sudden, shows that this may infact have been successful.

This is obviously differrent to persons arrested for other reasons, ie. not sitting in a room full of bomb materials. Questioning of suspects who are not caught red-handed, should always respect the possibility that they are innocent. I see there is a justifiable grey area in this, due to the nature of war and persons caught building weapons of war in their flats, are in a different category to people who are just stopped while fleeing the country.

I think that the Royal Thai Police and other security personnel have done some outstanding work in catching the man in Bangkok, with the bomb materials in his flat. I see that as a huge achievement on every level. We shall have to wait and see if the other suspected members of this group were actually involved, including the man arrested near the border yesterday.

the only reason the tai police went to that apartment complex was because the apartment manager tipped the police off about the idiot and gave them his apartment number. what did he get? nothing!

No matter who the guy is if he was part of the group you have t hand it to the military and the RTP. There are a lot of other countries that should take notice they are doing a pretty good job of this so far.

But there will be many who condemn them for no reason other than they had to pay a bit of tea money, fine for something petty etc. They have been condemned because of conflicting information in the press/online, but what those same people don't know that publishing conflicting, and inaccurate, information is part of the policing. It can lull suspects into a false sense of security or flush them out.

Just as they withhold certain bits of information that only the perpetrator could know, they publish certain bits that will confuse the perpetrator. It would be my bet that the senior cops in Thailand have been trained by police in far more advanced (in terms of fighting crime) countries, and they in turn train the footsoldiers.

A lot of the work that has gone into this would have been mind numbing, sifting through hundreds of hours of CCTV footage, tracking suspects routes via that footage, looking for inconsistencies, interviewing hundreds of people, poring over immigration records, notifying airlines, bus companies and police services in neighbouring countries, and on it goes. It's just slow methodical work requiring patience, common sense, an eye for detail, and Thai police are no different from other police around the world in having those abilities, qualities, and training.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Now turns out this guy was actually arrested in Cambodia on Monday

and only handed over at border today

Wait, what?!

Makes sense for the Cambodians to be doing the Thais' work for them.

Seriously, if the Army/RTP have actually got the right guys as part of the cell that carried out the attacks, then all credit to them.

What a shame that the ever corrupt and shameful RTP had to tarnish the event with the "award".

If you look at the side profile of this guy and the CCTV footage I would say bingo! they got him.

He slipped through the border into Cambodia and he was arrested in Cambodia trying to go to Phnom Phen.

Presumably a Chinese national or another fake passport?

He is being interviewed in english, he looks like an Uighur, may have Chinese Nationality, comes from home of Uighurs but looks middle eastern.

This has the Uighur stamp all over it and whether the police like it or not it was an act of terror, thes guys knew how to make bombs they have lots of fake passports --- people smuggling, I think Miss innocent in Turkey is not so innocent maybe her Turkish husband is involved in this.

There is it seems a Turkish connection here and I still have my money on Uighur and grey wolf as they are related and were involved in the protest at the Thai embassy in Turkey.

Q, will Thai police now share reward money with the Cambodians who nabbed him??

Q, will Thai police now share reward money with the Cambodians who nabbed him??

Who cares. Reward money pales into insignificance when compared with having rsoles like this out of circulation. I hope he/they is/are convicted and cop death. Nothing less would be adequate in this case.

I hope he/they is/are convicted and cop death. Nothing less would be adequate in this case.

Would you like to at least prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that he is involved in the bombings first?

All we have at this stage is a Chinese national believed to be “wanted” by China guy with no identification who was arrested at Phnom Penh airport trying to depart for Turkey after Thais tipped off their Cambodian counterparts he had fled to Cambodia and illegally handed back to Thailand stumbling around in a jungle with a backpack that contained zero evidence linking him to the blast, but who may be the yellow shirt guy because "his face and appearance look very much like composite sketch" the mastermind behind the whole thing.

Doesn't really sound compelling enough for an arrest, let alone a conviction and execution, don't you think?

Edited by jamesbrock

More contradictions to the Thai story...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/bangkok-bombing-suspect-arrested

The Thai government yesterday announced that the man believed to be the prime suspect in the deadly bombing of Bangkok’s Erawan shrine had been arrested in Thailand’s Sa Kaeo province, though well-placed officials in both Cambodia and Thailand said that the man was actually arrested at Phnom Penh International Airport.

He was captured in Cambodia, they brought him to the border, kicked him out of the truck, then the Thais "arrested" him. Not hard to piece together. The RTP pick up the story where its convenient for them.

Someone please reassure me that the RTP are not stupid enough to think they can lie to the whole world about such a high profile case in this way and assume they can get away with it.

He was captured in Cambodia, they brought him to the border, kicked him out of the truck, then the Thais "arrested" him. Not hard to piece together. The RTP pick up the story where its convenient for them.

Someone please reassure me that the RTP are not stupid enough to think they can lie to the whole world about such a high profile case in this way and assume they can get away with it.

He was caught trying to cross the border with a fake passport! Don't twist the facts

Sorry, can't do that.

Sorry, can't do that.

‘Main suspect’ in Bangkok bombing arrested on Cambodian border

http://asiancorrespondent.com/135245/live-2nd-bangkok-bombing-suspect-arrested-at-cambodian-border/

He was caught trying to cross the border with a fake passport! Don't twist the facts

Where does it say he was using a fake passport? The Thai authorities said that? Oh, then, it must be true...

The truth is, no one knows the facts, or, if they do, they are lying about them.

If you read the Phnom Penh Post article I linked to, he wasn't caught trying to cross the border - he was arrested at Phnom Penh International airport, already far inside Cambodia. He is believed to be wanted by China, hence the quick, quiet, and totally illegal hand back to Thailand, and the subsequent blatant lies by everyone right up to and including the PM.

Where does it say he was using a fake passport? The Thai authorities said that? Oh, then, it must be true...

The truth is, no one knows the facts, or, if they do, they are lying about them.

If you read the Phnom Penh Post article I linked to, he wasn't caught trying to cross the border - he was arrested at Phnom Penh International airport, already far inside Cambodia. He is believed to be wanted by China, hence the quick, quiet, and totally illegal hand back to Thailand, and the subsequent blatant lies by everyone right up to and including the PM.

Please send link as all news reported by both Thai and foreign press state the same except yours

I hope he/they is/are convicted and cop death. Nothing less would be adequate in this case.

Would you like to at least prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that he is involved in the bombings first?

All we have at this stage is a Chinese national believed to be “wanted” by China guy with no identification who was arrested at Phnom Penh airport trying to depart for Turkey after Thais tipped off their Cambodian counterparts he had fled to Cambodia and illegally handed back to Thailand stumbling around in a jungle with a backpack that contained zero evidence linking him to the blast, but who may be the yellow shirt guy because "his face and appearance look very much like composite sketch" the mastermind behind the whole thing.

Doesn't really sound compelling enough for an arrest, let alone a conviction and execution, don't you think?

What you smokin' man?? Read it again.

I hope he/they is/are convicted? I'm not saying they are guilty. I'll let the courts decide, but if convicted, I do hope the penalty is death.

Please send link as all news reported by both Thai and foreign press state the same except yours

I've read them. They are reporting what the PM has said; as I posted, the Cambodian press is reporting that the Thai PM is lying. Based on al the available reports at hand, and from watching him since he took power, I'm inclined to believe the Cambodian report over anything he says.

Time will tell...

What you smokin' man?? Read it again.

I hope he/they is/are convicted? I'm not saying they are guilty. I'll let the courts decide, but if convicted, I do hope the penalty is death.

I read it several times looking for the part about the courts deciding prior to conviction before I posted, hence my question.

Bangkok bombing: Police Arrest 'main suspect' at Thai-Cambodia checkpoint

Quote "The man was detained around noon trying to cross into Cambodia from the Thai countryside, away from towns or roads."

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/2015-09-01/bangkok-bombing-police-arrest-main-suspect-at-thaicambodia-checkpoint/1488154?

As I said...

The Thai government yesterday announced that the man believed to be the prime suspect in the deadly bombing of Bangkok’s Erawan shrine had been arrested in Thailand’s Sa Kaeo province, though well-placed officials in both Cambodia and Thailand said that the man was actually arrested at Phnom Penh International Airport.

The Cambodian police official’s version of events, corroborated by a Thai police source quoted by the Bangkok Post, contradicts the official narrative of the Thai authorities – including statements by Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha – and has been denied by a Cambodian official. Source: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/bangkok-bombing-suspect-arrested