First negative inflation likely in six years

Lite Beer

From a macro economic standpoint this may be the case, but I doubt any consumers would agree. Maybe gas is about the same as it was some time ago at the pump, but little else is the same. For instance:

1. Soaring land prices nationwide.

2. Oranges have gone from 25-30 baht per kilo two years ago, to 55-140 baht per kilo today.

3. Most other fruits and vegetables are considerably higher than just two years ago.

4. Airfares have gone up significantly, especially the international fares.

5. Cars and trucks have gone up in price.

6. Water and electric have gone up in price.

So, what exactly has gone down? Oil prices have dropped, but the price at the pump does not entirely reflect that. Rent and home prices have gone up, license fees, movie tickets, and the cost of popcorn at the movies has doubled in two years.

What am I missing here?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/consumer-price-index-cpi

That is all macro economics. It means little to those of us who have to work for a living, and see prices climbing daily. I see the same sort of nonsense back in the US. Silly numbers being thrown about, but the reality on the ground does not confirm any of that. It is a fantasy either manufactured by a government, or they take into account larger factors that do not affect those of us who compromise the 92%.

Consumer price index reflects changes in the cost to the average consumer of acquiring a basket of goods and services that may be fixed or changed at specified intervals, such as yearly. The Laspeyres formula is generally used.
International Monetary Fund, International Financial Statistics and data files.
VS
Spidermike's opinion
coffee1.gif
Edited by lostoday

From a macro economic standpoint this may be the case, but I doubt any consumers would agree. Maybe gas is about the same as it was some time ago at the pump, but little else is the same. For instance:

2. Oranges have gone from 25-30 baht per kilo two years ago, to 55-140 baht per kilo today.

3. Most other fruits and vegetables are considerably higher than just two years ago.

So, what exactly has gone down? Oil prices have dropped, but the price at the pump does not entirely reflect that. Rent and home prices have gone up, license fees, movie tickets, and the cost of popcorn at the movies has doubled in two years.

What am I missing here?

That is all macro economics. It means little to those of us who have to work for a living, and see prices climbing daily. I see the same sort of nonsense back in the US. Silly numbers being thrown about, but the reality on the ground does not confirm any of that. It is a fantasy either manufactured by a government, or they take into account larger factors that do not affect those of us who compromise the 92%.

Consumer price index reflects changes in the cost to the average consumer of acquiring a basket of goods and services that may be fixed or changed at specified intervals, such as yearly. The Laspeyres formula is generally used.

VS

Spidermike's opinion

coffee1.gif

Thai CPI does not include raw food prices......

What am I missing here?

VS
Spidermike's opinion
coffee1.gif

I would revise that to:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FP.CPI.TOTL

vs.
Spidermark's day to day experience, living here in Thailand, shopping locally, buying in the local markets, and traveling around the nation, for the past decade. Wonder if the World Bank does that too.

VS
Spidermike's opinion
coffee1.gif

I would revise that to:

vs.
Spidermark's day to day experience, living here in Thailand, shopping locally, buying in the local markets, and traveling around the nation, for the past decade. Wonder if the World Bank does that too.

You actually think anyone would give your opinion more weight than the World Bank CPI?

If your data is better than the world bank you must be making a fortune.

VS
Spidermike's opinion
coffee1.gif

I would revise that to:

vs.

Frankly, I do not care. Their figures mean very little to me, when I am spending 30,000 baht per month more than I was spending five years ago, for the same lifestyle. I see oranges have tripled. Watermelon has gone up by 10 baht per kilo in the past 18 months. Everything is more expensive. Then the World Bank tells me everything is cheaper here. Does that mean one iota to me, or to every other common man in this country?

VS

Spidermike's opinion

coffee1.gif

I would revise that to:

vs.

Frankly, I do not care. Their figures mean very little to me, when I am spending 30,000 baht per month more than I was spending five years ago, for the same lifestyle. I see oranges have tripled. Watermelon has gone up by 10 baht per kilo in the past 18 months. Everything is more expensive. Then the World Bank tells me everything is cheaper here. Does that mean one iota to me, or to every other common man in this country?

I stand corrected.

http://www.managerial-economics-club.com/cpi-in-thailand.html

1. Food and Beverages - rice, flour, meat, duck, chicken, egg, vegetable, fruit, seasoning and condiments, etc.

2. Apparel and Footwear - men's shirts, women's dresses, shoes, etc.

3. Housing and Furnishing - shelter, electricity charges, water supply charges, bedroom furniture, etc.

4. Medical and Personal Care - drugs and medical supplies, soap, shampoo, moisturizer, toilet paper, etc.

5. Transportation and Communication - vehicles, gasoline, vehicle insurance, communication equipment etc.

6. Recreation and Educational - toys, sports equipment, books, education admissions, etc.

7. Tobacco and Alcoholic Beverage - tobacco and smoking products, alcoholic beverage

Edited by Thai at Heart

VS
Spidermike's opinion
coffee1.gif

I would revise that to:

vs.

Since the negative amount is less than one percent and has only occurred once in the past 6 years of positive inflation I doubt that you would notice it much.

Edited by lostoday