Start off with Business or Tourist visa?

Hi TVF,

After studying and doing an internship in Thailand, I want to continue living there to work. Can't get enough of the place :)

Currently I am the Netherlands (home country) and getting ready to leave. I want to get a 90-day non-B visa here in Amsterdam first, and then apply for a WP and after that the 1-year multi entry.

My company is somewhat hesitant however to send all the required documents via email, and would rather take care of the non-B in Bangkok itself.

I am however scared that I will have to leave Thailand and apply for a visa in of the neighboring countries. Earlier this year I was in Vientiane, and I would really like to avoid this.

So my question is:

Can I enter Thailand with a tourist visa or visa exemption and apply for a non-B in Bangkok? Or do I convince them to scan and send me all the necessary documentation, and to get a 90-day single entry B visa here in Amsterdam?

As always the help is much appreciated!

You will not get an conversion to non-B without a work permit.

You can not get an non-B in neighboring countries, without pre-approved WP (WP3)

Try to get one in Amsterdam.

Thanks for the reply!

I will be applying for a work permit as soon as I arrive in BKK. So it is possible to convert a TR to Non-B in BKK itself, but only when I have a fully fledged WP, or is the application letter enough?

I would rather get the non-b in Amsterdam but the company is a little old school and they want to arrange it in person / paper instead of electronic.. :/

You can not get an non-B in neighboring countries, without pre-approved WP (WP3)

Thanks for the reply!

I will be applying for a work permit as soon as I arrive in BKK. So it is possible to convert a TR to Non-B in BKK itself, but only when I have a fully fledged WP, or is the application letter enough?

I would rather get the non-b in Amsterdam but the company is a little old school and they want to arrange it in person / paper instead of electronic.. :/

You cannot obtain a work permit without an appropriate visa.

Has the company advised you to arrive on a tourist visa ?

Can this company be relied on ?

Hope the "old school" company knows what it is doing .....................

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!

You cannot obtain a work permit without an appropriate visa.

Has the company advised you to arrive on a tourist visa ?

Can this company be relied on ?

Hope the "old school" company knows what it is doing .....................

They in fact do not know what they are doing, well spotted.

I am the first farang they are hiring. I emailed them already, that it is way more practical for me to get a non-b in Amsterdam.

Thanks for the help :)

You can

1. arrive in Thailand with a tourist visa;

2. apply for the work permit and get a receipt for the application;

3. when the work permit is ready to be picked up, go with the necessary documentation to a nearby Thai consulate and get a single-entry non-B visa;

4. return to Thailand, pick up your work permit, and start working.