Emergency repatriation of UK citizen

Ok, guys. I don't know if the visa-forum is the right one, but at least this touches on overstay and related issues...

An acquaintance of mine apparently got himself into a pickle, firstly "the usual" including an invalid passport, no visa, little money.

Over the last few days he turned to me for health problems, declaring he was sort of opening up for the first time. I am no medical

professional, a former lawyer rather, so I think this is because I helped him with something before and, well, "advise" people.

I am going to call him "John", UK citizen from somewhere round London, male, late thirties.

And before anybody starts, NO it's not me I am talking about. I am German and this questions pertains to dealing with the British Embassy, among other things.

The medical condition "John" described to me is actually not so much to the point. I see no point in discussing it as we are not going to find an answer, and even that would not help.

"Delusional parasitosis" is a swell English word, but calling it out does not help. I think he is a turf to psychiatry.

Anyway, whether "John" is actually ridden with parasites that may or may not find their way to his brain or is deluding about this, I had to tell him to get his arse to hospital, no matter what.

And chat up some native speaker of Thai with a good level of English to go there with him a and tell the doctors there his story, with a view to absences and sleeping disorders.

Ah yes... no health insurance, "the usual". I think the end of this journey should be some hospital in the UK, question here is: how is "John" getting there?

Are there any leads to this on TV, has this discussed before anywhere?

He will obviously not be able to pay any medical bills, let alone an in-patient treatment in a psychiatric ward (I don't think it'll be the parasitologist). I was loath to send him to the Embassy

first, those people tend to be total tits. Their web-page says they cannot avail him a ticket home, let alone pay medical bills, as was to be expected.

How is this going to work out? If he gets to hospital and cannot pay for anything. They do emergency patching-up, but are they going to shove him out on the street in the condition he is in?

Psychiatry is done best with a native speaker of the patient's language, but even so, are they even into this stuff in Thailand?

Any ideas how to get "John" back home and into medical care anyone?

If he happens to be ex British Military then you can contact the Royal British Legion who would assist, they have a branch in Thailand :

http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/chonburi-thailand/

I am afraid I can offer no more than this.

Good point, but no. I'd have to ask this of him but I cannot image he ever served in an army. Still appreciated.

Only real hope is a charity, relative or friend. He will need money for UK emergency travel document, overstay fine and air ticket. I assume, if he is like most of his ilk, that he has exhausted the assistance family and friends would be willing to advance. Charities that help out exist, but the number of those needing help far outstrips their resources. An articulate person, like yourself, making representations on "John's" behalf might get a sympathetic hearing, but this is a real mess.

Edited by BritTim

What would happen if said gentleman went to the embassy with his expired passport and just refused to leave?

I guess they would simply throw him onto the streets and have him arrested for overstay, it's to be expected these days.

ok... the (UK) media might be interested in this, especially about a guy in distress needing medical help

Edited by manarak

What would happen if said gentleman went to the embassy with his expired passport and just refused to leave?

I guess they would simply throw him onto the streets and have him arrested for overstay, it's to be expected these days.

ok... the (UK) media might be interested in this, especially about a guy in distress needing medical help

Interested in what exactly ?

Reporting the "I don't care" attitude of British Embassy civil servants towards a British citizen in medical distress, possibly even with impaired judgement ?

And also possibly having him thrown into a Thai jail that can be potentially lethal to someone in his state ?

Makes a good story for sure.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

Reporting the "I don't care" attitude of British Embassy civil servants towards a British citizen in medical distress, possibly even with impaired judgement ?

And also possibly having him thrown into a Thai jail that can be potentially lethal to someone in his state ?

Makes a good story for sure.

Seriously doubt that would get any column inches even in the Daily Mail.

In his 30's with absolutely NOBODY back in the UK that could assist? There's a long-winded thread running somewhere else started by some Belgian who's allegedly shit out of luck, money, friends, family and replete physical impairments.

The new TV management should consider a forum like the personal ads inside the back page of Private Eye... "Need funding, hopeless case, nobody cares, [bank sort code and account number appended]"

In his 30's with absolutely NOBODY back in the UK that could assist? There's a long-winded thread running somewhere else started by some Belgian who's allegedly shit out of luck, money, friends, family and replete physical impairments.

The new TV management should consider a forum like the personal ads inside the back page of Private Eye... "Need funding, hopeless case, nobody cares, [bank sort code and account number appended]"

Mmm hope you never get down on your luck who knows what's round the corner

Edited by Sutty

Overstay bit might work hand himself in explain he can't pay overstay fine then deportation to UK. Might be an option

But you have to pay for your deportation, IDC will keep him locked up until he can pay for the ticket

Then that's when embassy steps in and if they don't then the papers will be interested

Overstay bit might work hand himself in explain he can't pay overstay fine then deportation to UK. Might be an option

But you have to pay for your deportation, IDC will keep him locked up until he can pay for the ticket
Then that's when embassy steps in and if they don't then the papers will be interested
And what will the BE do ? Do you really think they will spring for a ticket ? Guess again, all the BE will do is inform relatives or friends in the UK for him thats it, recomend a lawyer etc....thats all you get...they will not " step in"

If they guy aint got a pot to piss in and has no one to get cash off, needs to stay well away from the IDC

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

There used to be (5 years ago) a donation box in the waiting area of the British Embassy for "Distressed British Nationals".

I doubt if there would be much money to pass around to all the distressed nationals that go to the embassy, but it suggests that there was somebody there who 'cares'.

I haven't been there since, so no idea if it is still there.

So Embassy here must be different from other Embassies then seen this situation a few times all over the world and always the British Embassy has been there for people especially on two occasions where mental health issues were involves. Personally I would go to Embassy explain problems if they refuse help sit there don't move remember Embassy is British soil therefore cannot be arrested by Thai Police. Make sure someone goes with him with a camera. But I don't belive it will go that far I belive there would be help in the case of mental problems

If you can convince your embassy that youre in dire straits its unlikely they will leave you in Asia to rot.

Western embassies (should) loan you the money to get home but you have to repay them otherwise they will red flag your passport.

The British embassy has a reputation for being pretty tough on Brits who screw up in LOS but thats probably because there are so many of them.

They cant assist all of them.

Edited by jalansanitwong

So Embassy here must be different from other Embassies then seen this situation a few times all over the world and always the British Embassy has been there for people especially on two occasions where mental health issues were involves. Personally I would go to Embassy explain problems if they refuse help sit there don't move remember Embassy is British soil therefore cannot be arrested by Thai Police. Make sure someone goes with him with a camera. But I don't belive it will go that far I belive there would be help in the case of mental problems

Sure they have seen plenty of times, but they still not springing a ticket or sorting his problems out,

in a by gone era you may have got help from an embassy or consulate, these days the help is in the form of advice and contacting someone for you

they are not paying the bills, paying for flights or sending an RAF air ambulance from Chipping Norton to rescue him in BKK

The Thai police can arrest somebody on "British soil" if they are invited to do so by the British embassy staff and that includes tresspassing British nationals...

.I really dont know where people get this poop from

The person has better chance of getting something out of the British goverment if he makes it to an EU border and declares himself a refugee or illegal immigrant

• Like 1

Soupeel

The Thai police can arrest somebody on "British soil" if they are invited to do so by the British embassy staff and that includes tresspassing British nationals...

The person has better chance of getting something out of the British goverment if he makes it to an EU border and declares himself a refugee or illegal immigrant

We will have to differ on opinions there

I get the so called poop from biter experience all over the world!! You!!!!!!

• Like 1

Soupeel

We will have to differ on opinions there

I get the so called poop from biter experience all over the world!! You!!!!!!

So have I dear boy ;)

• Like 1

Sutty, I agree with Soupeel's comments. The BE are not there to help or to bail out British citizens. If the person is declared mentally ill by a doctor, there is a faint possibility that they will assist in his repatriation to the UK, (but any costs must be repaid).

I recall one British guy who tried the sit-in act a few years ago. He was thrown out and then killed himself outside the embassy by throwing himself under a bus....

...and the fine, immigration don't let you off that.

The British embassy will not just let anyone walk in, you need a reason to be there and also have to get past security.