Refused Entry at Bangkok Immigration

I flew in Sunday and it was the first time in 14 years I was questioned about my stay. I have been doing the month on month off the entire time. I work oil also for the same company.

They are using a system that flags those with 6+ visa exempt entries. I don't know when it was implemented but I believe it was this year. It's possible that you were asked this time due to that.

Around the world, immigration/passport officers have full authorization to deny anyone entry to their country, and for whatever arbitrary reason they wish--even if the foreigner seeking entry already has pre-approved entry visa in his/her passport. Passport officers certainly don't need permission from their superiors to deny entry! That is true for the U.S., true for Thailand and true everywhere, except, of course, for those EU citizens traveling within the Schengen area.

I flew in Sunday and it was the first time in 14 years I was questioned about my stay. I have been doing the month on month off the entire time. I work oil also for the same company.

They are using a system that flags those with 6+ visa exempt entries. I don't know when it was implemented but I believe it was this year. It's possible that you were asked this time due to that.

I been going to LOS on visa exempt entries for the past 6 years ( twice a year) that's news to me?

I been there 3 times already the past 9 months and due to go again in November but just for short stay vacation and have a return ticket ..

I think OP issue was the actual long stays of 4 months on a visa exempt and not entering 6+ times on visa exempt ?

Edited by nij68

I been going to LOS on visa exempt entries for the past 6 years ( twice a year) that's news to me?

I been there 3 times already the past 9 months and due to go again in November but just for short stay vacation and have a return ticket ..

I think OP issue was the actual long stays of 4 months on a visa exempt and not entering 6+ times on visa exempt ?

The system exists.

The OP doesn't say how many times he entered. Regardless an IO has the authority to interview/deny entry to anyone at anytime regardless of the times they've entered or the visa they're holding.

The flag system is meant as a tool to aid the IO's. It doesn't mean automatic denial.

I've a friend that enters every week and has over 20 visa exempt entries this year. He's been doing it for years and has never been stopped. So the IO's appear to have discretion about who or if they interview someone that is flagged.

The system exists.

The OP doesn't say how many times he entered. Regardless an IO has the authority to interview/deny entry to anyone at anytime regardless of the times they've entered or the visa they're holding.

The flag system is meant as a tool to aid the IO's. It doesn't mean automatic denial.

I've a friend that enters every week and has over 20 visa exempt entries this year. He's been doing it for years and has never been stopped. So the IO's appear to have discretion about who or if they interview someone that is flagged.

Yes I agree with what you say but then why would the system flag up something ? Maybe the OP has had issue like this before this the flag . You only get flagged if you are blacklisted or previously been refused entry .

The system exists.

Yes I agree with what you say but then why would the system flag up something ? Maybe the OP has had issue like this before this the flag . You only get flagged if you are blacklisted or previously been refused entry .

You would get flagged if blacklisted but this is different.

This new system is meant to alert IO's that someone enters a lot without a visa because many illegal workers enter this way. If someone has entered many times on visa exemption questions are raised about how they can fund their stay. Either they are working or they are legitimate. Someone decided to set the bar at 6 and the IO's get alerted so they can, if necessary, interview the person about the purpose of the visit.

Although you are entitled to visa exempt entry it is always subject to the IO letting you through the door.

This latest 'crackdown' as people call it isn't new. It goes back to 2006 when they decided to tackle the many people living and working here that would enter and exit every month. First they limited people to a maximum of 90 days in any six months. This was cancelled in 2008. Then they limited land border entries to 15 days. That's ongoing expect that they eased the restriction for G7 countries back to 30. The latest way to tackle the problem is flagging multi entrants and being ultra tough at land borders.

• Like 2

The system exists.

This new system is meant to alert IO's that someone enters a lot without a visa because many illegal workers enter this way. If someone has entered many times on visa exemption questions are raised about how they can fund their stay. Either they are working or they are legitimate. Someone decided to set the bar at 6 and the IO's get alerted so they can, if necessary, interview the person about the purpose of the visit.

Although you are entitled to visa exempt entry it is always subject to the IO letting you through the door.

This latest 'crackdown' as people call it isn't new. It goes back to 2006 when they decided to tackle the many people living and working here that would enter and exit every month. First they limited people to a maximum of 90 days in any six months. This was cancelled in 2008. Then they limited land border entries to 15 days. That's ongoing expect that they eased the restriction for G7 countries back to 30. The latest way to tackle the problem is flagging multi entrants and being ultra tough at land borders.

So for instance I have been 3 times in the last year and am going again in November to see my GF ..

I usually stay for 2 weeks and residence is a hotel with a out band ticket .. As long as u have a out and ticket and show you are on vacation then they should allow this?

I have the privilege of having Atleast 3 or 4 holidays a yeR so I go LOS so I find this annoying where IO can refuse you even if u are just in vacation

Immigration have the power to refuse entry if they feel there is sufficient reason which can be any of thousands of different things. They are as we all know a division of the police.

Not "thousands of different things" ! .....................................

See post number 12 for detail.

• Like 1

Hmm. Last 7 entries i have through Bkk i have been called to supervisor. On their pc system is a red square with number12 on. It always goes up after each entry. But i just have fun with them explaining my work and they always let me in. Maybe gf doesn't want you to come in lol. Getting new passport is a good idea because i don't think they write it in the system that you were denied entry.

• Like 1

So for instance I have been 3 times in the last year and am going again in November to see my GF ..

I usually stay for 2 weeks and residence is a hotel with a out band ticket .. As long as u have a out and ticket and show you are on vacation then they should allow this?

I have the privilege of having Atleast 3 or 4 holidays a yeR so I go LOS so I find this annoying where IO can refuse you even if u are just in vacation

You don't really have the entry pattern that indicates you're working here so I doubt very much if you'll have any problem, but make sure you have 10k in cash and an outbound ticket.

I'm not surprised the OP was put under scrutiny but I'm amazed that he was denied. Regardless of what others have written IO's cannot "arbitrarily" deny entry for any reason. They have discretion within the law but having x amount of previous entries isn't reason enough. The OP was refused because of suspicion that he's working due to the entry pattern. Harsh in my opinion and bordering on illegal, but that depends on how you interpret the law. Unfortunately if you get the wrong IO at any border they sometimes do step over their authority.

Fact is that the only way to stay off the radar is to get a tourist visa.

• Like 1

Looks like you will have to apply for a Visa at a Thai embassy and acquire a Visa before you come to Thailand.

A bit of a hassle but at least you do not travel all the way to Bangkok to be turned down again....but according to what others are saying you can still be turned down.

I surmise you ended up with a IO that was been an A-hole on that particular day..... because.........well he can if he wants.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

First thing I would have done would have been to ask them to speak with my GF to explain the situation and clarify the decision.

Secondly speaking some amount of understandable Thai goes a very long way in Thailand when dealing with people in positions of power eg police,immigration etc.

I have been on rotation in the UK 21/21 for the past year and was stopped in April and questioned why I travel here so often,I have daughter and house etc and explained in Thai and the woman in question was satisfied.

It may well be a fair warning to others that they are clamping down now,especially in light of the recent bombings in Bangkok.

Who knows.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 2

They really dislike people who dont pay into the immigration system , next time pay the 45 dollars and get a tourist visa

Rubbish,did somebody at Immi tell you that.Millions come in without visa,do they dislike them all.

Given the hostile attitude of some officers I have seen in action/dealt with, yes, I would say they dislike each and every one of us, with or without visas...

So many people travel to Thailand desperate to find love and feel despondent when denied it even by immigrations officers. The travelers must be accustomed to immigrations officers in their own country blowing kisses upon their return.

They really dislike people who dont pay into the immigration system , next time pay the 45 dollars and get a tourist visa

Immigrations doesn't issue visas or collect money for them. Entirely different ministry.

Edited by Suradit69

First thing I would have done would have been to ask them to speak with my GF to explain the situation and clarify the decision.

Secondly speaking some amount of understandable Thai goes a very long way in Thailand when dealing with people in positions of power eg police,immigration etc.

I have been on rotation in the UK 21/21 for the past year and was stopped in April and questioned why I travel here so often,I have daughter and house etc and explained in Thai and the woman in question was satisfied.

It may well be a fair warning to others that they are clamping down now,especially in light of the recent bombings in Bangkok.

Who knows.

Your work pattern is typical of many butwholly different to the OP who has had 2 lengthy spells.

I think your explanation in Thai or English would have been perfectly acceptable.

I have this discusssion with someone in a similar situation to you - at point are you viewed to be living in Thailand and traveling overseas to work. Would that warrant the suggestion that you should be here on a visa/extension. Your proficiency in Thai may support such view smile.png

"So many people travel to Thailand desperate to find love and feel despondent when denied it even by immigrations officers. The travelers must be accustomed to immigrations officers in their own country blowing kisses upon their return."

Perhaps so in your circles. I personally do not recall encountering anyone matching your description. I have on the other hand met people despondent at the lack of common civility they would expect to find with professional officers elsewhere.

WOW!! I am amazed providing you have money place to stay, not wanted by Police, no previous overstaying your visa. You should of been good to go.. I have many stamps in my UK Passport never had a problem, you should of asked for a manager I am sure the issue would of been sorted, maybe the recent bombing has made things a little difficult I see no other reason for refusal..

I am surprised that looking for work was given as a reason.

What country are you from and when you were refused entry what happened ? Were you given a choice of destination ?

Also, did they ask for and could you produce the 20,000 Baht in cash that you're supposed to carry when arriving ? From what I've heard this is an often used 'excuse' to deny entrance.

I am Irish,

flew from Basra Iraq through Dubai as that is where i am currently working,

my return ticket was returning to Bangkok, although i had another booking departing Thailand on 13th this month but was never asked about that,

I was asked about cash, i had close to $400, 70 euro, 200 AED, 7000 baht on me

choice of destination was for me to fly to ireland but as i had already ticket to amsterdam for 13th just changed dates.

You were treated very harshly and had more than enough cash on you.

Personally I would have pointed out my separately booked ticket on the 13th so they didn't think I was arriving on a one way ticket and potentially staying long term. I would also most definitely have requested to speak to a supervisor / senior officer.

Is there any reason they might think you're going to work in Thailand ?

This is all very strange. Sounds like the beginning of another crackdown to me.

"You were treated very harshly ..."

Compared to what?? Immigrations in Europe seem to be totally losing it by comparison ... It appears many countries are trying to cope with an influx of economic refugees seeking employment.

"The whole EU is struggling to deal with an unprecedented influx of migrants.

Some 2,000 people, mostly from the Middle East, remain stranded outside a railway station in Hungary after police stopped them travelling through the EU

Italy is ready to impose identification checks at Brennero on the border with Austria after receiving a request from Germany for help in easing the flow of migrants into Bavaria, the northern province of Bolzano said Wednesday.

Rome was ready to "reactivate" controls just as it did for the G7 in June, as "a temporary measure to allow Bavaria to reorganise and face the emergency", a statement from the province said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11838407/EU-migration-crisis-Eurostar-live.html

In some countries you would be refused a visa at the Thai Embassy because 'you come too many times'...

The system exists.

Everyone is missing the point that this person was flagged by the computer on entry, which would surely refuse to register the entry as valid.

A six-entry limit is very easy to use up, especially if going on short breaks to Cambodia/Vietnam/Malaysia/Laos/Burma/etc.

Maybe OP is not telling all the full story ? If he is clean then there should not be a problem .. Maybe it is a crackdown due to the current bombing in bkk ...

One is refused entry to the kingdom if on a wAnted list by Interpol, been refused entry before, blacklisted, over stayed visa previously .... I still believe they maybe saw visa stamps of entry's when maybe he was staying in LOS then before the 30 days was up he would had to have caught a flight out( Malaysia) ect and then come back ..

All that information would be on the immi system..

I remember 6 years ago when I was travelling around LOS it was easy to do visa runs , now they have toughened up on that

ukrules

One report by one person does not represent a "major escalation"

I even doubt we have been told the whole story associated with this alleged denial of entry.

Perhaps the OP will post a scan of what is stamped/written in the passport to clarify the issue.

Edited by nowretired
  • Like 1

ukrules

I even doubt we have been told the whole story associated with this alleged denial of entry.

Perhaps the OP will post a scan of what is stamped/written in the passport to clarify the issue.

Yes that is very true .. I am sure there is more to this story maybe the OP needs to let us know ..

Also as per an old post on here previously someone got asked questions from an IO supervisor upon entering and was told if you visit on a visa exempt entry 6 times in ONE YEAR then you are flagged up .

I believe it's maybe one year or could be past twelve months ?

Anyone entered more than 6 times in 12 months or calendar year?

ukrules

Yes that is very true .. I am sure there is more to this story maybe the OP needs to let us know ..

Also as per an old post on here previously someone got asked questions from an IO supervisor upon entering and was told if you visit on a visa exempt entry 6 times in ONE YEAR then you are flagged up .

I believe it's maybe one year or could be past twelve months ?

Anyone entered more than 6 times in 12 months or calendar year?

I have friend who returns every other month for about 20- 25 days. He was spoken to once by an immigration officer about his frequent use of visa exempt entries. Being able to demonstrate he was married to a Thai, in possession of money and a return ticket removed any curiosity the IO might have had.

He has never been stopped again.

• Like 1

The system exists.

No point getting annoyed. You haven't been refused and will not be refused.

Can you not see that your situation is not the same as the OP ?