Ubuntu 6.06

astral

> Ubuntu release 6.10 is out, and is so much better then 6.06

Sorry but in what ways? I mean other than the happier startup tune and less brown default background image? The only real difference is that it includes Firfox 2.0 by default, though on Ubuntu Dapper (6.06) this is installed very easily by just downloading from the Firefox site and double-clicking to install.

> By the way why want people with a slow internet connection install Ubunta Linux,

> everything has to be downloaded. OpenOffice as example is already something like 200MB.

Ha, ESPECIALLY on a slow connection I like Ubuntu because you only have to download 1 CD! (Or get it ShipIt'd for free). It's interesting that you mention OpenOffice because that's one of the things that DOESN'T have to be downloaded because it's on that install CD. In fact all common applications are. So overall that's LESS to download; you get all the classics, and anything special you'd like to add you instal over the internet. That's less downloading than when you were to get a whole set of 4-5 floppies like some distros. (ridiculous)

Cheers,

Chanchao

OpenOffice I was taking about updates.....

Sure I have to say that nothing is wrong with Ubuntu....but distributions like Fedora or OpenSuse which are available from local vendors or from other down-loaders I will prefer all over Ubuntu with a "slow" internet connection.

Unbuntu release 6.10 doesn't offer any advantage over Fedora Core 6 or OpenSuse 10.2, better to say that both alternative distributions are a better choice for low bandwidth Internet users.