Yamaha MT-03

oval

Honda 300F 286cc Single cylinder 22.7 kW (30.4 hp) @ 8 500 rpm 26.2 Nm (19.3 lb-ft.) @ 7,000 rpm 161 kgs

Yamaha MT03 321cc Twin cylinder 31 kW (41.6 hp) @ 10,750 rpm 30 Nm (22.1 lb-ft.) @ 9,000 rpm 169 kgs

The MT03 sounds a much better deal (also has 2 pot front brake caliper while the Honda has a single).

Edited by taichiplanet

NIce looking bike but is it better looking than the Kawa Z3? I don't think so. Also 7000B more than the Z3.

Admittedly it has 1-2hps more, but is it worth it without a decent dealer network? I'm not so sure. I won't go into what I think of Yamaha parts quality on these bikes.

Having said that, I'd take it over the Honda CB300 any day of the week. But at 50K more than the Honda, hmm... if I had to pay it, I'd choose the Z3.

Honda 300F 286cc Single cylinder 22.7 kW (30.4 hp) @ 8 500 rpm 26.2 Nm (19.3 lb-ft.) @ 7,000 rpm 161 kgs

Yamaha MT03 321cc Twin cylinder 31 kW (41.6 hp) @ 10,750 rpm 30 Nm (22.1 lb-ft.) @ 9,000 rpm 169 kgs

The MT03 sounds a much better deal (also has 2 pot front brake caliper while the Honda has a single).

The Benelli TNT300 is 302cc and also a twin cylinder, 37.73 bhp, has twin front discs with twin pot calipers, USD forks and according to the bike testing fraternity, is "the best sounding twin cylinder bike on the planet" - for 139,000 B "on the road", incl 1st class insurance.

post-95864-0-83116300-1441205293_thumb.j

Edited by properperson

The Benelli TNT300 is 302cc and also a twin cylinder, 37.73 bhp, has twin front discs with twin pot calipers, USD forks and according to the bike testing fraternity, is "the best sounding twin cylinder bike on the planet" - for 139,000 B "on the road", incl 1st class insurance.

attachicon.gifIMG_4188.jpg

The pegs look like they are WAY back. Honda CB500F is the smallest bike that I like the feel of. Anything smaller has the pegs too far back, and the seat too low. Moving the pegs forward and down is possible, but not real easy with modifying the whole mount and controls. Move the seat up and I would want to move the bars up to match. Lots of trouble and some money. I'm only 6', but maybe I'm old.

The MT03 sounds a much better deal (also has 2 pot front brake caliper while the Honda has a single)

Bit confused about the weight. Yamaha Thailand claims 169 kilo which is the same as for the r3. It should be a more like 165-166 because its a naked in which case it weighs less than the honda cbr250 which is very good for a 2 cylinder bike. Must be because of that tiny engine.

Just to compare, the Benelli 300 weighs 30 kilo's more, the same as a kawasaki er6n......

The MT03 sounds a much better deal (also has 2 pot front brake caliper while the Honda has a single)

Bit confused about the weight. Yamaha Thailand claims 169 kilo which is the same as for the r3. It should be a more like 165-166 because its a naked in which case it weighs less than the honda cbr250 which is very good for a 2 cylinder bike. Must be because of that tiny engine.

Just to compare, the Benelli 300 weighs 30 kilo's more, the same as a kawasaki er6n......

i was a bit confused about the weight too, as some USA/Europe sites state 165 kgs, but maybe that is without ABS which is standard on the Thai model (made in Vietnam?). The Thai Yam site states the R3 as 170 kgs, so a gain of 1 kg for losing the fairings!

Yeah the Benelli is 196 kgs and a little less power and as far as i can see does not have ABS.

i was a bit confused about the weight too, as some USA/Europe sites state 165 kgs, but maybe that is without ABS which is standard on the Thai model (made in Vietnam?). The Thai Yam site states the R3 as 170 kgs, so a gain of 1 kg for losing the fairings!

Yeah the Benelli is 196 kgs and a little less power and as far as i can see does not have ABS.

no abs, would be almost 200kg with abs....

I've got an R3 it feels more like a bigger bike, than the Hondas. I'm a big lad and it still feels like I'm sat in it, rather than sat on it. But it is very light and nimble.

I'm 6ft and 100kg and I ride it at a steady 120km/h with the wife on the back. And she's not so petite. I can get 155km/h out of it with two of us on it and with the spring adjusted a bit harder it's fine on corners... but then I don't get my knee down in Thailand, even without the wife on the back.

Pulls well over 6000 rpm and ok for overtaking, but I'm tempted to change the rear sprocket to drop the revs a bit at 120km/h

Does get a bit of vibration through the bars riding 50km at 120km/hr... you feel it start at around 5500 rpm. Not so bad when riding, but you certainly feel it when you get off.

It's a long way from my VFR800, but it's great little bike.

I've got an R3 it feels more like a bigger bike, than the Hondas. I'm a big lad and it still feels like I'm sat in it, rather than sat on it. But it is very light and nimble.

I'm 6ft and 100kg and I ride it at a steady 120km/h with the wife on the back. And she's not so petite. I can get 155km/h out of it with two of us on it and with the spring adjusted a bit harder it's fine on corners... but then I don't get my knee down in Thailand, even without the wife on the back.

Pulls well over 6000 rpm and ok for overtaking, but I'm tempted to change the rear sprocket to drop the revs a bit at 120km/h

Does get a bit of vibration through the bars riding 50km at 120km/hr... you feel it start at around 5500 rpm. Not so bad when riding, but you certainly feel it when you get off.

It's a long way from my VFR800, but it's great little bike.

Good to hear from another happy R3 owner, agree with everything you say it is a really nice nippy little bike that is easy powerful enough for most of what you can do in Thailand and has more than enough to keep you interested and put a smile on your face

If you want to make the bike even better you could put an R6 throttle body on, really transforms the power delivery and makes the throttle much shorter and more responsive

A lot of people are commenting on chop stick forks on the MT03, I don't know it could just be the photo as the R3/MT03 have bigger forks than the Honda and the Ninja/Z and the R3 certainly don't look narrow so might be different in the flesh, I think only the Benneli has bigger forks but at the end of the day I don't know what some people expect from a budget bike

If you look at the specs and ride one, it's actually closer comparison to the CB500.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'll be in Mueang Phitsanulok in a few weeks, hopefully the dealer there has one in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the specs and ride one, it's actually closer comparison to the CB500.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

good looking bike mt 03. i love the blue rims of it and i am sure it is a good performer for its intended purposes. wish you good time with it and anyway it looks like you are already having good time.

but it has 30 percent lower torque and 15 percent lower hp than cb500f. yes cb500f is maybe around 25 kgs heavier but it is good for the bike to hold the ground especially at cross winds or when a lorry is passing by from opposite direction on a tight road.

plus cb500f is roomier and most probably comfier and clearly a better allrounder for a mere 20 k thb more.

i have checked new r3 which is a good looking bike but get close, it has a lot of low quality components so honda low cc bikes are looking like 2 class above and Kawasaki 300 series are one class above from it in terms of quality. i am sure it is same for mt03 as they use basically the same components with r3.

and i am not even mentioning the good honda or kawa service.

where you will be servicing your mt 03? Normal Yamaha scooter dealers or Yamaha big bike in Bangkok? hope you live close to Bangkok but even if you are, Yamaha service in Bangkok is not very efficient.

Edited by maykilceksin

I have a CB500X and an R3 and for me the R3 is a much more fun bike to ride, performance wise there is nothing really in it with the Honda 500 so I agree that looking at or comparing an Honda 300 to an R3/MT03 is a complete waste of time as your comparing two completely different machines

I don't have a CBR500 but seeing as it is basically the same as the CBX I feel I would be disappointed if I was expecting a sport bike type ride on the CBR as it isn't, the R3 on the other hand does feel sporty, dont get me wrong they are both great bikes it is just the Honda 500 can feel a little dull when ridden back to back with the R3

I have a CB500X and an R3 and for me the R3 is a much more fun bike to ride, performance wise there is nothing really in it with the Honda 500 so I agree that looking at or comparing an Honda 300 to an R3/MT03 is a complete waste of time as your comparing two completely different machines

I don't have a CBR500 but seeing as it is basically the same as the CBX I feel I would be disappointed if I was expecting a sport bike type ride on the CBR as it isn't, the R3 on the other hand does feel sporty, dont get me wrong they are both great bikes it is just the Honda 500 can feel a little dull when ridden back to back with the R3

hear hear

• 10 months later...

The Mt 03 is tempting, but I advise everyone to wait until 2017.

All the bikes imported from Japan are taxed 54.4 % until the end of the year.

From January 1st, 2017 the import tax for motorcycles from Japan will be 0%!

Just think how much the prices of bikes will change. MT07 is 299,000 at the moment - all things being equal it equates to a shade under 200,000 plus import tax.

2017 is going to be a great year for buying Japanese imported bikes, thanks to the politicians who worked out this deal in the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement.

44 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Just think how much the prices of bikes will change. MT07 is 299,000 at the moment - all things being equal it equates to a shade under 200,000 plus import tax.

2017 is going to be a great year for buying Japanese imported bikes, thanks to the politicians who worked out this deal in the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement.

it doesn't drop 54.55% next year, it only drops from 5.45% to zero. import/custom duties have slowly been dropping for the last 10 years from 54.55%. see page 503 of following link (8711.30 onwards). any bike over 800cc will still have a 20% import/custom duties

http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/thailand/epa0704/annex1.pdf

whether the showrooms pass on the full cuts or not is another thing!

nothing to do with ASEAN, it was the Japan - Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement - (JTEPA) began in February, 2004 and signed in Nov 2007.

5 hours ago, Cynical said:

The MT 03 isn't made in Japan.