Owners of rented houses, rooms ordered to report foreign occupants

webfact

25 million visitors moving 4 times a week for two weeks. Lets see that's 200,000,000 pieces of paper each of those taking 3 minutes to process. That's 10 million hours of labor to accept the reports and then there is data entry of of those 200,000,000 million reports at 5 minutes each (Thai data entry people). 17 million hours. 27 million hours of labor and we haven't added in the storage time for the paper records. 2,700,000,000 baht for labor.

I'm not much of a logistics guy but what percent of the total with labor and all the new office buildings they would have to build to house the labor force and paper making and storing. What percent of the Thai GDP would this cost them?

Thai Visa posters have been leading the charge to make this law a reality for some time now so congratulation guys and good luck in your next crusade for home visits for retirement visas and verification of embassy letters. Go get em.

It is done online. Stupidity of the ignorant reigns.

Are you calling me stupid? You mean that all Thai authorities (whoever that may be) can enter, Chinese, Russian, Egyptian and Irish into a computer? Let alone a woman renting to an Ethiopian or Turkish fellow and trying to get the name correct.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you calling me stupid? You mean that all Thai authorities (whoever that may be) can enter, Chinese, Russian, Egyptian and Irish into a computer? Let alone a woman renting to an Ethiopian or Turkish fellow and trying to get the name correct.

Passport numbers is passport numbers and pretty much the same on all the keyboards and passports I've seen.

Our house isn't rented. It is owned by wife's parents, so I guess no need to report.

They have my 90 day report, visa application, work permit, hospital records, dentistry records, umpteens of hotel registrations of my address.

When I lived in Europe I rented my condo out, after buying a house. Within a few months I had the tax office on to me as to why I wasn't paying tax on the income from the rent.

I certainly don't hope for the same type of data sharing here, but surely immigration doesn't need us to register in every department.

Actually this has been the law for some time. I remember some time ago, when I did my 90 day report, I received a note to give to my landlord that she was supposed to register me.

Same at hotels. Funny enough, if I stay at a 5 star hotel they never ask for my passport.

Maybe they will introduce a law that we are not allowed to live within 300 mtres of government buildings, religious buildings and education institutes.

Why not fit us all with a micro chip so we can be located at anytime?

How strange. Whenever I stay at a 5 star hotel - recently that would be in Thailand, Abu Dhabi, Osaka, HK, Singapore and KL they always ask for my passport. Some take a photocopy too.

I think the cheaper hotels always take a copy of my passport , but I guarantee that the five star hotels I stay at don't. The room is often booked in my wife's name and we are regulars (if that makes any difference).

Nothing New . It's an old law and you can read it at the Immi.-Webpage . Section 38 of the 1979 Immigration act ( 1979) . What's the problem. Does anyone in Thailand and Goverment do know their own rules and Laws.

Edited by bushmill

Our house isn't rented. It is owned by wife's parents, so I guess no need to report.

They have my 90 day report, visa application, work permit, hospital records, dentistry records, umpteens of hotel registrations of my address.

When I lived in Europe I rented my condo out, after buying a house. Within a few months I had the tax office on to me as to why I wasn't paying tax on the income from the rent.

I certainly don't hope for the same type of data sharing here, but surely immigration doesn't need us to register in every department.

Sorry you are wrong. The owner have to get you registered at your Immigration. Or you get a yellow housebook.

Why are so many on TV getting all twisted out of shape with this? It has been law for a long time. It's simply that many landlords can't be bothered doing it.

The same whining posters would be the first to complain if the RTP / Thai government didn't tighten up security after a heinous crime, but only as long as they are not affected.

My question is, What do you have to hide if you don't want the Thai authorities to know where you are staying in THEIR country.?

It beats the hell out of me why half of the members here stay on in Thailand, when they treat their host nation with a damned because you do, damned because you don't attitude.

Why are so many on TV getting all twisted out of shape with this? It has been law for a long time. It's simply that many landlords can't be bothered doing it.

The same whining posters would be the first to complain if the RTP / Thai government didn't tighten up security after a heinous crime, but only as long as they are not affected.

My question is, What do you have to hide if you don't want the Thai authorities to know where you are staying in THEIR country.?

It beats the hell out of me why half of the members here stay on in Thailand, when they treat their host nation with a damned because you do, damned because you don't attitude.

It's only the inconsistency which annoys me,that and the fact that the TV moderators and members seem to know more about the laws than the people actually enforcing them and making them,is it that difficult to understand.

Passport numbers is passport numbers and pretty much the same on all the keyboards and passports I've seen.

So do you think there is some magical database that Thai authorities (whoever that may be and I don't know nor does the story saygigglem.gif ) can types in your name in Russian or Chinese and come up with your location? Or are you telling me Thailand is hooked into a computer that will translate all passport numbers into names that is hooked into every police box (yes you can report to a police box) in Thailand?

This system has been in place for years, even small guesthouses are required to register people who stay on a temporary basis.

There's a website and it can be done online. Every hotel also does this.

Sure they do and mom and pop Somchai will have no problem reporting the visiting Farang on line?thumbsup.gif

Truth is stranger than fiction. When I moved into this rented place a few years ago the woman who owns the houses around here asked me for help with the computer.

She came to my computer, I logged into the immigration system using her username / password and entered my own passport details on her behalf.

This was nearly 3 years go and it's been going on longer than that.

She's learned how to use it herself since then as she only came back to me once for some other guy renting one of the houses....

And she didn't give you the disk that imm gave her? Sorry I'm such a cynic. I've lived in 40 places in Thailand and no one has ever asked me for a passport.
You must not live near a city centre, im asked most of the time in Pattaya,Bangkok,Jomtien for PP

My ex-landlord refused to get me officially registered at the house I rented. So a friend of hers had me registered at his place in another tambon. Never asked why for the sake of Thainess...

The landlords simply avoid paying taxes.

If I remember correctly there are to be paid 18% taxes for rented apartments/houses.

And she didn't give you the disk that imm gave her? Sorry I'm such a cynic. I've lived in 40 places in Thailand and no one has ever asked me for a passport.
You must not live near a city centre, im asked most of the time in Pattaya,Bangkok,Jomtien for PP

I stay with go go girls.

Another knee-jerk reaction - brought to you by.....

Exactly.. I am interested in what other ones will follow. From my own viewpoint, perhaps the worst part of the 9-11 attacks on my own country was how we handled ourselves in the months after, rather than the actual devastation from those events. The Patriot Act and the War in Iraq being the first things that come to mind. Will be interesting to see what happens here.

Almost as if it was an inside job to bring about those two things...

Actually this has been the law for some time. I remember some time ago, when I did my 90 day report, I received a note to give to my landlord that she was supposed to register me.

Same at hotels. Funny enough, if I stay at a 5 star hotel they never ask for my passport.

Maybe they will introduce a law that we are not allowed to live within 300 mtres of government buildings, religious buildings and education institutes.

Why not fit us all with a micro chip so we can be located at anytime?

How strange. Whenever I stay at a 5 star hotel - recently that would be in Thailand, Abu Dhabi, Osaka, HK, Singapore and KL they always ask for my passport. Some take a photocopy too.

I think the cheaper hotels always take a copy of my passport , but I guarantee that the five star hotels I stay at don't. The room is often booked in my wife's name and we are regulars (if that makes any difference).
the Opposite, 5 star hotels always take PP's and credit card or cash deposit,and GF's ID, hotels in Issan , 90% of time don't ask for PP

long time ago, my "dad in law" , refugee from laos, flew yearly to thailand , up north and they had a whole organisation of getting them illegal into laos ...

the other 11 months of the year, he got benefits from my home country as he was too traumatised by the war he had fled in laos

This system has been in place for years, even small guesthouses are required to register people who stay on a temporary basis.

Hotels but not private houses.

Your Thai wife has now to report you!

Not true. She has had to report for years but it was never enforced until perhaps now.

Do some research on the Thai Immigration website and you may learn something.

To clarify, there are 2 reports required:

One by the house/apartment/hotel owner. If they get caught, the fine is ( I believe) 2,000 baht) each time.

The second report is the responsibility of the guest of Thailand. He/ she is supposed to report their whereabouts. The fine is 800 baht.

These regulations have rarely been implemented in the past.

The knee jerk reaction is by those posters here, who seem to forget that all are guests in this country, even if it is a short stay.

so what? when people get a visa for USA or UK do they have to report like this? racial discrimination but we all know Thais are horrendously racist (even to their own citizens)

Different countries have different laws.

If you think this is racial discrimination then you need different medication.

If you don't like the law then simply ignore it as most people do but don't come back and bitch if it goes against you. Your choice.

Not true. She has had to report for years but it was never enforced until perhaps now.

In your research did you find out where they are getting the labor and resources to enforce it now?

Well I can tell you it's not being enforced in Lom Sak Phetchabun,has never been since my time here and I don't anticipate it happening any time soon.

When I hear of a case of a fine being issued and a visit by police or immigration I will be sure to post it here.

In all honesty with Phitsanulok being the immigration office for Phetchabun and that being 150 clicks away I don't hear of to many cases of home visits by immigration at least.

Given the number of expats that now reside in Phetchabun province permanently it's really about time they opened an immigration office not necessarily for the benefits of expats but if they are serious about enforcing all these rules wouldn't it make sense to have a presence in such a large province with an ever increasing expat population.

In your research did you find out where they are getting the labor and resources to enforce it now?

Did you do any research?

Did you do any research?

I ask a question and instead of answering my question you ask me another question. I don't think that's fair. If you want to ask me a question fine. Answer mine first.

So do you think there is some magical database that Thai authorities (whoever that may be and I don't know nor does the story say) can types in your name in Russian or Chinese and come up with your location? Or are you telling me Thailand is hooked into a computer that will translate all passport numbers into names that is hooked into every police box (yes you can report to a police box) in Thailand?

No. I'm saying that it's extremely easy to type in a unique identifying number regardless of what language the name on the passport. Could take about 15 seconds per guest who checks in (no clue how long it actually takes, but it could be as little as a few seconds), and 0.0007 seconds for the computer to search the database for any items of interest related to that passport number. (Like, perhaps 29 people are all using that same Turkish passport number to check into 24 different hotels tonight) Spelling and transliteration are irrelevant- as is the name in the passport to the hotel owner, really.

I have no clue what they can do with the database they have. But I'd bet it would surprise a lot of guys who think they're a bunch of rubes.

Edited by impulse

So do you think there is some magical database that Thai authorities (whoever that may be and I don't know nor does the story say) can types in your name in Russian or Chinese and come up with your location? Or are you telling me Thailand is hooked into a computer that will translate all passport numbers into names that is hooked into every police box (yes you can report to a police box) in Thailand?

No. I'm saying that it's extremely easy to type in a unique identifying number regardless of what language the name on the passport. Takes about 15 seconds per guest who checks in, and 0.0007 seconds for the computer to search the database for any items of interest related to that passport number. (Like, perhaps 29 people are all using that same Turkish passport number to check into 24 different hotels tonight) Spelling and transliteration are irrelevant- as is the name in the passport to the hotel owner, really.

I have no clue what they can do with the database they have. But I'd bet it would surprise a lot of guys who think they're a bunch of rubes.

They count 72 baht of change 7 times at 7/11, take a selfie, make two phone calls, put on lip gloss and then hand me the the change.

If you want to find someone you might have their name almost never a passport number.

To have a national stand alone database of 25 passport numbers is worthless.

They count 72 baht of change 7 times at 7/11, take a selfie, make two phone calls, put on lip gloss and then hand me the the change.

If you want to find someone you might have their name almost never a passport number.

Don't kid yourself. We've got Thai people working for us that could set up that entire database system in a weekend. We're all a bunch of numbers now.

How do you figure they're going to track 60 million SIMs next month?

Don't kid yourself. We've got Thai people working for us that could set up that entire database system in a weekend. We're all a bunch of numbers now.

How do you figure they're going to track 60 million SIMs next month?

The numbers alone are worthless. They need names. How are they going to get names that are not in Thai? A million migrant workers and 20 million Chinese tourists - get real.

Edit to add were the folks who set up the 90 day reports must have been student interns?

Edited by lostoday