Owners of rented houses, rooms ordered to report foreign occupants

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'report to the authorities' - perhaps since the media are reporting this they could at the very least explain how an owner actually carries out the 'reporting proceduce' but then again that would be asking too much.

I don't really see the problem with reporting foreign residents as to where they live. They did this in Japan when I lived there. Once you moved into a neighborhood I assume the landlord would pass that on to the local police station and then the police after around a week would come and check you out. They were always polite and the encounter was brief and pleasant.

I would have no issue if the police knocked on the door right now and asked me a few questions about what I am doing in Thailand. Well this assumes the police conduct themselves in a polite and professional manner of course. I am also not really advocating they do this but wouldn't care if they did, I have nothing to hide.

I see that the xenophobia machine is being revved up into hyper-drive:

Evil foreigners! Come and stay short time, spend most of your money, then get the hell out. You are all potential criminals: You know it, and we know it. So don't stay too long you trouble-makers! We're watching your every move farangs.

Come back when you have more money you filthy scum. And make that stay short too. Or even better, just sent the money, and don't come to Thailand at all.

This system has been in place for years, even small guesthouses are required to register people who stay on a temporary basis.

There's a website and it can be done online. Every hotel also does this.

Hotels but not private houses.

Your Thai wife has now to report you!

Hell, we give them a copy of our housebooks every yearly extension. If they really wanted a freakin' TM30, the the I/O would only have to hand us one to fill out during our yearly appointment. But why not: Thai logic is...................is equal to 22/7. Never-ending thrash to infinity.

This system has been in place for years, even small guesthouses are required to register people who stay on a temporary basis.

There's a website and it can be done online. Every hotel also does this.

Haha. Wishful thinking. I've stayed at many hotels where I paid cash and no passport or information necessary.

Just another law they already have and cant be assed to enforce.

Only Thailand likes to pretend these laws dont exist when its clear they havnt been enforcing them and embarrassed by it.

Same thing with the drink driving and road laws... enforce what laws are there then they wont have to pretend they dont exist when looking like incompetent fools.

On second thoughts they arnt fools, just incredibly lazy and corrupt.

25 million visitors moving 4 times a week for two weeks. Lets see that's 200,000,000 pieces of paper each of those taking 3 minutes to process. That's 10 million hours of labor to accept the reports and then there is data entry of of those 200,000,000 million reports at 5 minutes each (Thai data entry people). 17 million hours. 27 million hours of labor and we haven't added in the storage time for the paper records. 2,700,000,000 baht for labor.

I'm not much of a logistics guy but what percent of the total with labor and all the new office buildings they would have to build to house the labor force and paper making and storing. What percent of the Thai GDP would this cost them?

Thai Visa posters have been leading the charge to make this law a reality for some time now so congratulation guys and good luck in your next crusade for home visits for retirement visas and verification of embassy letters. Go get em.

It is done online. Stupidity of the ignorant reigns.

Hey if it were that easy, don't you think that the Immigration Police would have already done it with the TM6. Where is the super warehouse to store all those pieces of (probably useless) pieces of paper?

Those damned pesky foreigners. Why not deport all foreigners and close the borders, problem solved. No more nasty crime, no more Western bad ways corrupting Thai youth. And cancel the Internet for everyone in the country, then all is well for the ruling class to continue, military included.

Their country, their rules, how hard is that to understand?

It is pretty hard. In the OP they didn't say where to report, when to report or what form to use or what would happen if you did not.

exactly what is the process? where is the form? where do such forms get deposited? anyway I thought all condos did that as standard as the JPM give the Police lists of who is in their buliding

Actually this has been the law for some time. I remember some time ago, when I did my 90 day report, I received a note to give to my landlord that she was supposed to register me.

Same at hotels. Funny enough, if I stay at a 5 star hotel they never ask for my passport.

Maybe they will introduce a law that we are not allowed to live within 300 mtres of government buildings, religious buildings and education institutes.

Why not fit us all with a micro chip so we can be located at anytime?

How strange. Whenever I stay at a 5 star hotel - recently that would be in Thailand, Abu Dhabi, Osaka, HK, Singapore and KL they always ask for my passport. Some take a photocopy too.

I think the cheaper hotels always take a copy of my passport , but I guarantee that the five star hotels I stay at don't. The room is often booked in my wife's name and we are regulars (if that makes any difference).
the Opposite, 5 star hotels always take PP's and credit card or cash deposit,and GF's ID, hotels in Issan , 90% of time don't ask for PP

I stick to what I said before. I won't mention the hotels' names, but we stay at one of them at least once a month. They do NOT ask for my passport. It is possible that they have a copy from a long time ago (a couple of years), I don't know.

Not true. She has had to report for years but it was never enforced until perhaps now.

Do some research on the Thai Immigration website and you may learn something.

In your research did you find out where they are getting the labor and resources to enforce it now?

Did you do any research?

I ask a question and instead of answering my question you ask me another question. I don't think that's fair. If you want to ask me a question fine. Answer mine first.

The answer to your question is NO I didn't.

Now perhaps you can answer mine instead of prevaricating.

Another knee-jerk reaction - brought to you by.....

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. It's just a reminder of the existing law which some landlords either don't know about or ignore.

It used to be the landlords responsibility but the onus was put on the foreigner renting the property some time ago now.

It must depend on which office you use but the immigration where I live are very strict on it.I even have to re- register my address even if I leave the country for a few days.Pain in the a--- as the landlord lives a long distance away.It's starting to pee him off also, keep filling in forms and copies of this and that.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. It's just a reminder of the existing law which some landlords either don't know about or ignore.

It used to be the landlords responsibility but the onus was put on the foreigner renting the property some time ago now.

It must depend on which office you use but the immigration where I live are very strict on it.I even have to re- register my address even if I leave the country for a few days.Pain in the a--- as the landlord lives a long distance away.It's starting to pee him off also, keep filling in forms and copies of this and that.

Submission of the TM30 is, and always has been, the responsibility of the house master. The Alien is responsible for submitting a TM28.

tm30.doc

tm28.doc

It is pretty hard. In the OP they didn't say where to report, when to report or what form to use or what would happen if you did not.

They probably thought you would have the ability to Google to here:-

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

All the information, and downloads, are on Thai Visa as pinned items.

exactly what is the process? where is the form? where do such forms get deposited? anyway I thought all condos did that as standard as the JPM give the Police lists of who is in their buliding

It's the same forms it has always been.

I wonder why Admin is not referring the uninformed to

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/category/6-thai-immigration-application-forms/

There ya go.

They probably thought you would have the ability to Google to here:-

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

All the information, and downloads, are on Thai Visa as pinned items.

From your link. "He/She (The owner of the residence) must notify (by the Form TM.30) to the competent official Of the Immigration Office located in the same area of that house/residence within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien."

1. Why worry about it? It is not the responsibility of the alien. As far as I know only 2 offices, Phuket and KCI have ever asked anyone for those forms.

2. If they had been serious about it they would have included instructions of how to file in detail and where to file.

There are two or three posters here that are on a crusade to change the filing requirements from the owner to the renter but I think they are best ignored as your link illustrates.

PS It is kind of interesting to watch that every question asked about immigration the same two posters will always add don't forget the TM-30 form which is not for an alien to fill out as per above. I don't know why they do it. But they do it for every question about immigration issues. Who knows maybe they will eventually succeed and get the TM 30 added to the already onerous list of paperwork we have to fill out.

losttoday,

Are you suffering from PBBAK ?

TV Admin provides you with a ThaiVisa forum, which has been in existence for a number of years.

I looked it up and quoted it, for your edification.

Your reply ("Maybe because they are not the Thai government") doesn't make any sense at all.

Another member quoted you the Thai Immigration forms website.

That didnt seem to impress you either.

Membership here is generally about seeking and offering advice. Please show a modicum of courtesy for others' efforts to advise you

You seem to have another agenda, which is best summed up by your criticism - "that other posters want to add to the already onerous list of paperwork we have to fill out. "

I own several properties, so I am stuck with multiple decisions of whether (a) to file or not and (B) liase with my tenant, for each property.

In addition, my wife and I have 90 day and annual retirement filings.

Why is your paperwork load so onerous ? anyway, it's a free world, file or do nothing.

losttoday,

Are you suffering from PBBAK ?

TV Admin provides you with a ThaiVisa forum, which has been in existence for a number of years.

I looked it up and quoted it, for your edification.

Your reply ("Maybe because they are not the Thai government") doesn't make any sense at all.

Another member quoted you the Thai Immigration forms website.

That didnt seem to impress you either.

Membership here is generally about seeking and offering advice. Please show a modicum of courtesy for others' efforts to advise you

You seem to have another agenda, which is best summed up by your criticism - "that other posters want to add to the already onerous list of paperwork we have to fill out. "

I own several properties, so I am stuck with multiple decisions of whether (a) to file or not and (cool.png liase with my tenant, for each property.

In addition, my wife and I have 90 day and annual retirement filings.

Why is your paperwork load so onerous ? anyway, it's a free world, file or do nothing.

Foreign people cannot own land in Thailand so the report is for Thai people. The article in the paper was written for Thai people not foreigners.

Answer : He/She (The owner of the residence) must notify (by the Form TM.30) to the competent official Of the Immigration Office located in the same area of that house/residence within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien.

If you are talking about a condo in your name alone I don't know. I would follow the advice of the immigration office in your area whom I would consult.

In any event there are 50 different immigration offices in Thailand all with different rules so to be sure one must ask them. I believe Phuket does not want a TM 30 but wants their own unique form to be filled out.

If you want me to answer in the future use the quote function on TV that is what it is there for.

Submission of the TM30 is, and always has been, the responsibility of the house master. The Alien is responsible for submitting a TM28.

attachicon.giftm30.doc

attachicon.giftm28.doc

Looking at the TM28 . It would seem to suggests tourists should be notifying their every movement. You could do a tour of the country and have to notify your every move.

attachicon.giftm30.doc

attachicon.giftm28.doc

Looking at the TM28 . It would seem to suggests tourists should be notifying their every movement. You could do a tour of the country and have to notify your every move.

Try asking. Start a thread that states I'm going to Nakonnowhere for three days should I file a TM 28 form when I get there and see what happens.biggrin.png

Try asking. Start a thread that states I'm going to Nakonnowhere for three days should I file a TM 28 form when I get there and see what happens.biggrin.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/848103-when-do-i-need-to-file-a-tm28-and-to-who/

Thanks

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/844130-a-visit-from-immigration-address-reporting/?hl=tm28

Archived