British man rescued from manhole in Bangkok

webfact

Not a story you want to brag about on your Facebook page, I suppose.

British national + Bangkok night out + 11.30 pm + uncovered manhole = drunk as a skunk

Does that equation compute?

No it does not compute and you are jumping to conclusions with absolutely nothing to substantiate them.

I do not know your nationality but not all Brits in Thailand who go out with friends in the evening are drunks. However, if the cap fits wear it.

coffee1.gif All the Brits I know are drunks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a similar experience whilst living on Koh Phangan . I was walking along the beach in Baan Kai when all of a sudden the sand gave way under my feet and I found myself buried up to my chest, fortunately my wife was with me and she managed to get help from a group of Thai workers who got me out it was a frightening experience . I hope the dude is okay if it were in the Western world he would be suing the local council for lots of money !

From what I hear he is going to do just that-----hope he has all his papers in order or he will have a lot more "pitfalls" than drain holes to contend with.Anyway I seriously do wish him luck

Could have been worse. He could have headed to Thermae...

Please do not remind me. Ix-nay on the Thermae!

She ground her teeth in her sleep all night & I wasn't bombed enough to sleep thru it. What a hideous noise.....

That was my one & only Thermae experience.

Give me her number, I'll destroy her with my snoring..

You don't sustain minor injuries from falling down that thing!

Good Lord! Who are they kidding?

God only knows what infections he's in the process of catching right now. I mean, he's bound to have had an open wound somewhere on his body/legs.....

I have just read that he vowed to take legal action too. I hope all his paperwork is in order for the business that he manages. Call me jaded/experienced, but he could be inadvertently heading for trouble. Up s**t creek without a paddle so to speak. I wish him all the best on his quest.

Won't matter even if everything is in order. The s$%t storm he will create will level his company and land him in deep water. It is just not worth wasting the time and money pursuing what will inevitably be a judgement not in his favor. That said, it would be nice if a Thai national stepped up with legal action when something like this happened. Even if not successful, a few legal actions may be enough to convince the municipality that fixing these problems is cheaper than dealing with the lawyers.

I would advise that he politely request some compensation for medical expenses and chalk it up to experience. And that he get a course of IV antibiotic treatment before the obvious signs of infection become apparent. More than one person has died from the bacteria lurking in these places, and Farang are even more susceptible, being that our immune system is entirely unfamiliar with some of those germs.

Only one uncovered manhole? Come to the village I live in and I will show you a dozen that have been missing for years.

It was not necessarily uncovered. I have stepped on many a manhole covered with ready-to-give-way wood and metal coverings. One should be cautious stepping directly on a manhole cover unless one is familiar with the area.

God only knows what infections he's in the process of catching right now. I mean, he's bound to have had an open wound somewhere on his body/legs.....

I have just read that he vowed to take legal action too. I hope all his paperwork is in order for the business that he manages. Call me jaded/experienced, but he could be inadvertently heading for trouble. Up s**t creek without a paddle so to speak. I wish him all the best on his quest.

Won't matter even if everything is in order. The s$%t storm he will create will level his company and land him in deep water. It is just not worth wasting the time and money pursuing what will inevitably be a judgement not in his favor. That said, it would be nice if a Thai national stepped up with legal action when something like this happened. Even if not successful, a few legal actions may be enough to convince the municipality that fixing these problems is cheaper than dealing with the lawyers.

I would advise that he politely request some compensation for medical expenses and chalk it up to experience. And that he get a course of IV antibiotic treatment before the obvious signs of infection become apparent. More than one person has died from the bacteria lurking in these places, and Farang are even more susceptible, being that our immune system is entirely unfamiliar with some of those germs.

......................."That said, it would be nice if a Thai national stepped up with legal action when something like this happened."..................

A Thai national would probably not fall in the hole, and if he did he would not sue the government . Don't hold your breath waiting for that court case. biggrin.png

Speak for yourself. Mine is far to familier with far to many of them. But, joking aside, the rest of your post is spot on. Or possibly spots on if he is unlucky. I hope he is fine.

British national + Bangkok night out + 11.30 pm + uncovered manhole = drunk as a skunk

No it does not compute and you are jumping to conclusions with absolutely nothing to substantiate them.

I do not know your nationality but not all Brits in Thailand who go out with friends in the evening are drunks. However, if the cap fits wear it.

Statistical probability - probably.

When I saw the headline I expected a joke: ' British Man rescued from Man Hole' . Thought it was a new name for it....

From the recent news headlines, I think that would have been "boy hole".

British correct speak would have you required to calling it a "Person Hole"

When I saw the headline I expected a joke: ' British Man rescued from Man Hole' . Thought it was a new name for it....

From the recent news headlines, I think that would have been "boy hole".

British correct speak would have you required to calling it a "Person Hole"

They even changed Neil Armstrong's immortal quote to "That was one small step for Person and one giant leap for Personkind

She ground her teeth in her sleep all night & I wasn't bombed enough to sleep thru it. What a hideous noise.....

From Thermae huh? Should've asked to take her teeth out before bed

I read the headline " British man rescued from manhole" and thought this was going to be another tacky "ladyboy" article

then I saw the pic..

so I won't make a "crack" about it.. (pun intended)

but seriously... back to the hole. no twig poking out to offer a warning.. tut tut.. standards are really dropping in the Big city

Should've given her a glass of water to pop her teeth into for the night.

11:30 pm = dark

open manhole cover = terrible safety standards in Thailand

British national = not raised in a third world country with third world safety standards

If they were leaving the bar at 11:30 pm on a weeknight, I wouldn't assume they were falling down drunk. This guy is lucky to be alive. He easily could have hit his head on the way down and drowned in a river of shit. In a first world country multiple people would be fired for this, and he'd probably be suing the city for negligence, but TiT...

This a completely unmarked hole in the promenade at Nakhon Phanom that I rode my bicycle into one dark evening in July..............and survived!post-81845-0-53043400-1441280501_thumb.j

Edited by SunsetT

British national = not raised in a third world country with third world safety standards

If they were leaving the bar at 11:30 pm on a weeknight, I wouldn't assume they were falling down drunk. This guy is lucky to be alive. He easily could have hit his head on the way down and drowned in a river of shit. In a first world country multiple people would be fired for this, and he'd probably be suing the city for negligence, but TiT...

This a completely unmarked hole in the promenade at Nakhon Phanom that I rode my bicycle into one dark evening in July..............and survived!attachicon.gifIMG_20150721_141950.jpg

I'm glad you survived. That's full on Star Trek stuff right there. Boldly going where no man has gone before....

That would have put the fear into me. Scary monsters!

From Thermae huh? Should've asked to take her teeth out before bed

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I wish she'd had false teeth.

You have just added something to my bucket list.

This a completely unmarked hole in the promenade at Nakhon Phanom that I rode my bicycle into one dark evening in July..............and survived!attachicon.gifIMG_20150721_141950.jpg
Gives a new meaning to the word promenading! Presumably you were riding a mountain bike. Lucky you were ok.

Why? why? why?

Why do these impressive 1st world characters come to these 3rd world countries?

Why not enjoy life in their safe havens rather than fall in to sewers?