8 lane super highway through Doi Saket?

cloudhopper

Hi there is a rumor raging that the government is planning an 8 lane highway going through Doi Saket but as usual the details about from/to where are vague. The locals seem upset that their land will be taken from them. Does Thailand have 'eminent domain' law? Does anyone know anything about this? I guess I will go to the land office to see if they know anything.

There will be a flurry of those in the know to buy adjoining land, so they can then sell it to the road builders.

The guy who bought all that land in BKK through insider knowledge and then offered it to the govt for the water supply scheme, did extremely well. Oddly, not much in the papers. Just one article that I've seen.

I have a hard time visualizing a 8 lane highway in this area. 8 lanes of traffic on a 4 lane highway, i can see as probable but 8 lanes would be extremely difficult for the engineers to bring back to interconnect with the 2 lane highways that are the present norm. It would be a traffic cops nightmare, after watching them direct traffic on Chang Klan each morning.

Just my opinion of course.

This would be the supposed 4th ring road. I have a map of the proposed route showing it going from somewhere near Hang Dong, going around to near Bor Sang and cutting north, crossing the Chiang Rai road (118) a few kilometers west of Doi Saket. From there it continues northish crossing the 1001 at Ban Nong Harn (about 6 kilometers north of Mae Jo) and keeps going crossing the Mae Rim road and looks like it ends in Mae Sa.

I got this map about two years ago from a guy who had photocopies and highways dept. map. Resolution is not good so it's hard to say exactly where near Doi Saket it will pass. But if the road will actually be built, and if the proposed route is still the same, it will cross the 118 about three or four kilometers away from Doi Saket town on the Chiang Mai side. I really hope it gets built as it will shave 30 minutes off my commute to work.

Nobody in my area, Pa Sak Noi, knows if/when it will be built, exactly where it will go through or how big it might be. If anyone gets updated info, please do post it on TV.

Cheers

Good. Though likely it'll start with acquiring the land and building a simpler road.

Keep in mind that the current Outer Ring still needs upgrading to a proper 6 lane highway, along with under/overpasses. I would imagine that's first as that road gets a lot of use. Currently work is underway on the intersection with the old Lamphun road and the overpasses across the railway line and the Superhighway #11.

I'm hoping that gets done soon actually, right now you tend to get stuck behind slow traffic.

I wouldn't get too excited by this new road. Things happen slowly here when it comes to highways, they are planned years in advance and when they do make a move they buy the land (yes they do have a form of eminent domain here) years before the construction and the construction of a large highway takes years to build. So if you are here on a retirement visa you may not live long enough to see the completed highway.

This is all fine with me as my house is about 4 kilometers west of Doi Saket near the 118, with luck they will not get around building it until I have moved on to a higher plain of existence.

Just west of the dam at doi saket they've been resurfacing and possibly extending - was surprised as they've done the lanes on both sides of a canal while normally there isn't much traffic there. Not sure if this will form part of the ring road or not.