Transferring Visa and Stamp to New Passport

Just got new US Passport (old one expiring soon), and a letter accompanying it asking Thai Immigration to transfer my Non-O to my new passport, etc. Anyone have experience doing this? I ask for two reasons:

1. Is an appointment necessary, or can I show up in Changwattana and take a number?

2. Do you think it will cause me any problems when I go to Savannakhet next week for a new Non-O (I don’t anticipate this being the case, but wondered if anyone had any horror stories from this situation)?

And regarding Savannakhet for a Non-O, they’re still giving them without financials, right? And are they returning them same-day or next-day?

A recap of what paperwork’s needed would be sincerely appreciated, too.

Thanks,

FKT

1. Since you apparently have a visa you don need to go to CW to have anything transferred. You will use both passports when you leave the country and they will transfer you last entry stamp to your new passport and stamp you out of the country with it.

2. You will not have any problem.

It has been next afternoon service at Savannakhet since February.

No financial proof is needed.

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book and ID card.

• 1 month later...

I have an extension of stay for retirement and a multiple-entry permission. They both expire in early February so I'll be going to Chaeng Wattana in January for fresh ones. Meanwhile I just got a new passport. I'd prefer not to bother getting the stamps transferred since it's only a couple months until I'll be getting fresh ones, and transferring will waste pages in my new passport. But is it a problem if I do nothing until then? If I have to travel out of the country in the interim, can I leave and re-enter by showing both passports (relying on the stamps in the old one) or is there a risk that border officers might insist the stamps be in the new passport?

Thanks

TG

Immigration expects you to get the stamps transferred shortly after you get a new passport if you are on an extension of stay.

Their have been reports of people being delayed when they were leaving the country without getting the stamps transferred.

Immigration expects you to get the stamps transferred shortly after you get a new passport if you are on an extension of stay.

Their have been reports of people being delayed when they were leaving the country without getting the stamps transferred.

Thanks Joe. I got my passport in Canada on Sept 17 but just returned to Thailand on Oct 30 (this past Friday). My extension of stay and multiple re-entry permit both expire on February 12. I've seen reports that at Chaeng Wattana we can get fresh ones within 45 days ahead of expiry. If that's right, I calculate I can go and get them as early as December 30 (or more realistically, maybe January 4 or 5 owing to holiday closures) . So, a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Have you heard anything recent about applying 45 days ahead, and does that apply to the re-entry permit as well as the extension?

2. If 45 days works, then based on the above dates, do you still think I'd be pushing my luck to forget about transferring the existing stamps and just wait to get the fresh ones? I don't intend to travel before then but let's assume for the sake of discussion that I found out I had to urgently travel out of Thailand between now and Dec. 30, as it's always possible.

Cheers,

TG

Applying up to 45 days early is not a problem at CW immigration. The re-entry permit can be done at the same time you get your extension stamp but is a different desk so you have to get a new number for it.

I leave it to you to decide whether to wait or not.

You would not be stopped from leaving the country but they may ask why you did not do it.

You should also consider it will require getting two tickets when you go for your extension since stamp transfers and extensions are done at different desks. The stamps have to done before the extension is done and you will have to make copies of the transferred stamps in your new passport before doing the extension application.

Applying up to 45 days early is not a problem at CW immigration. The re-entry permit can be done at the same time you get your extension stamp but is a different desk so you have to get a new number for it.

You would not be stopped from leaving the country but they may ask why you did not do it.

You should also consider it will require getting two tickets when you go for your extension since stamp transfers and extensions are done at different desks. The stamps have to done before the extension is done and you will have to make copies of the transferred stamps in your new passport before doing the extension application.

Ubonjoe, thanks again. I'm a bit confused because I had assumed that if I chose not to transfer the stamps to my new passport at this point, but rather just wait until it's time for new stamps, then I wouldn't have to transfer stamps at all. If I go to Immigration and just apply for the new extension and re-entry permit in the usual way, why would there be a need to transfer the old ones? They would, when transferred, be valid only for the number of minutes it takes until I get the new stamps. That seems a pointless exercise. Does Immigration really require it, or am I misunderstanding something here?

TG

Ubonjoe, thanks again. I'm a bit confused because I had assumed that if I chose not to transfer the stamps to my new passport at this point, but rather just wait until it's time for new stamps, then I wouldn't have to transfer stamps at all. If I go to Immigration and just apply for the new extension and re-entry permit in the usual way, why would there be a need to transfer the old ones? They would, when transferred, be valid only for the number of minutes it takes until I get the new stamps. That seems a pointless exercise. Does Immigration really require it, or am I misunderstanding something here?

TG

You are misunderstanding the issue.

What is transferred provides a precise of your immigration history and prevents the need for constant referral / photocopying details from the old , expired passport.

TG

What is transferred provides a precise of your immigration history and prevents the need for constant referral / photocopying details from the old , expired passport.

Joe, it's possible my jet lag is still clouding my mind - if so please forgive me smile.png I'm having trouble understanding why there would be a need for constant referral/photocopying if I fail to transfer the stamps. Here's the scenario: I don't bother transferring the stamps, just go and apply for new stamps in January in the usual way. I would bring my old and new passports; photocopies of the old passport's info page and stamps pages; and photocopy of the new passport's info page and last entry page (plus the usual bank letter, etc.). Would that not suffice for the officer to issue the new stamps in the new passport? If not, I wonder why not. Why would he care if the old stamps are actually transferred or just separately presented to him in both original and photocopy form? And if the latter works for him, why would I ever again need to make copies from the old passport, or refer to it, since I'll have fresh stamps in the new one?

Thanks

TG

TG

Joe, it's possible my jet lag is still clouding my mind - if so please forgive me smile.png I'm having trouble understanding why there would be a need for constant referral/photocopying if I fail to transfer the stamps. Here's the scenario: I don't bother transferring the stamps, just go and apply for new stamps in January in the usual way. I would bring my old and new passports; photocopies of the old passport's info page and stamps pages; and photocopy of the new passport's info page and last entry page (plus the usual bank letter, etc.). Would that not suffice for the officer to issue the new stamps in the new passport? If not, I wonder why not. Why would he care if the old stamps are actually transferred or just separately presented to him in both original and photocopy form? And if the latter works for him, why would I ever again need to make copies from the old passport, or refer to it, since I'll have fresh stamps in the new one?

Thanks

TG

You are probably correct.

Just do what you think is right and what you believe should be done.

TG

Thanks

TG

When you apply for a new one year extension of Stay, Thai Immigration will want to know what the original Visa was and the associated last visa entry date that your current series of extensions are based on.

When immigration make the stamps transfer to your new passport they put notes in your new passport as to the basis of your original visa, the last entry date on It, plus the old extension stamp(s) details.

Once you have these details in your new passport you can moth ball your old passport as you desire; without this transfer Immigration would also need the old passport to be presented every time they deal with you and thus most will insist that the stamps transfer is done.

Do the stamp transfer as soon as it is convenient - it is in your best interests and will prevent any potential headaches/delays at later dates.

They will not do the new extension until the visa info and last extension is moved to the new passport.

Here is the first 2 pages of my new passport I got in July of 2013, The stamp on the left is info for the visa and my old passport. Passport number it the one erased.

post-66997-0-37537700-1446607176_thumb.p