Police chief 'endorses' move to revoke Thaksin's police rank

webfact

Police chief 'endorses' move to revoke Thaksin's police rank
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- National police chief Somyot Poompanmuang said yesterday that he had endorsed the decision to strip former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra of his rank of police lieutenant-colonel.

He said he had submitted to the Secretariat of the Cabinet the proposal to remove Thaksin's rank on Monday after checking the procedures.

He said he had carried out his duty according to law and hoped the people and society understand his action.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said the move to strip Thaksin of his police rank did not need Cabinet approval. The Secretariat of the Cabinet would check the documents and forward them to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha for endorsement.

Then the PM would forward it for the Royal command and have it published in the Royal Gazette.

Under the Prime Minister's Office's regulations and the police directives, Thaksin, who was given a two-year-jail term for violating conflict of interest in the controversial Ratchadaphisek land purchase deal following a Supreme Court ruling in 2008, has faced revocation of his rank since then.

The pressure to recall his police rank mounted after Thaksin's claim in a May interview published by a South Korean newspaper that the royal advisory Privy Council was instrumental in staging the anti-government street protests that served as a pretext for the May 2014 military coup, which toppled his sister Yingluck Shinawatra's elected administration.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Police-chief-endorses-move-to-revoke-Thaksins-poli-30268027.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-03

What a sad day. Almost begging his benefactor not to think too badly of him for being forced to do his duty. Hoping it doesn't scupper his chances of post retirement hand-outs and fully comped Dubai weekenders.

Somyot should be sacked, his first duty is not to Thaksin or any of his old classmates. These people demonstrate all too clearly who they are working for. Anyone who breaks the law should lose their civil rank.

Its a respected title, along the lines of 'The Right Honourable'. If you retain it as a fugitive, it really sends the wrong message. It also lessens the rank for others who hold it.

Edited by Charlie Croker

Love Thaksin or hate him (I am neutral/confused.. They're all crooks).

Aside from beating a dead horse, what is the point of dragging him back into the news?

What is it? A decade now since that coup?

Does it mean he is forbidden from shaking me down for 200 baht for driving in the wrong lane?

Love Thaksin or hate him (I am neutral/confused.. They're all crooks).

Aside from beating a dead horse, what is the point of dragging him back into the news?

What is it? A decade now since that coup?

Does it mean he is forbidden from shaking me down for 200 baht for driving in the wrong lane?

Can you explain what benefit there is to having a convicted fugitive or the run maintaining his police rank?

How so many Thai males who are in the public service sector could have been born without the balls to do their job is beyond me.

I know '' cover your arse'' is a part of any civil service job here as well as other countries, but this press release which outlines how each individual is passing the buck, up a notch and then are informed all of these steps are not really necessary, highlights how little the civil service knows /understands their job description nor their authority.

Its kind of like hiring a self taught electrician to repair the leaking cesspool , that is releasing a stench that is not appreciated by those living in the mooban /in this case country

What a sad day. Almost begging his benefactor not to think too badly of him for being forced to do his duty. Hoping it doesn't scupper his chances of post retirement hand-outs and fully comped Dubai weekenders.

Somyot should be sacked, his first duty is not to Thaksin or any of his old classmates. These people demonstrate all too clearly who they are working for. Anyone who breaks the law should lose their civil rank.

Its a respected title, along the lines of 'The Right Honourable'. If you retain it as a fugitive, it really sends the wrong message. It also lessens the rank for others who hold it.

Did you forget your meds? The government is illegally over taken and his rank should be too.

I don't think you're a well person. Ignorant hater. You Charlie are problem, not solution.

You are not part of the ruling class, you are part of the no class.