4WD vs 2WD

stament

on wet slippy roads the "forced loss" of traction would occur only momentarily on wheels that in 2WD would have no traction at all.

Just because a wheel doesn't have power, does not mean it's without traction.

that's an oxymoron.

I drive many a wet slippery road in my 2wd vehicle..... why have I not died yet cause i don't got 4wd..... is that cause my 2wd vehicle has traction on the none driven wheels ?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

on wet slippy roads the "forced loss" of traction would occur only momentarily on wheels that in 2WD would have no traction at all.

Just because a wheel doesn't have power, does not mean it's without traction.

that's an oxymoron.

I drive many a wet slippery road in my 2wd vehicle..... why have I not died yet cause i don't got 4wd..... is that cause my 2wd vehicle has traction on the none driven wheels ?

...and the award fro the most facile post on this thread goes to...........

If you ever get stuck in the mud when it is raining buckets with a two wheel drive pickup truck, the relatively higher cost of a 4X4 will seem quite reasonable. My wife had the two wheel drive truck stuck in the mud twice. The walk in the mud and rain back to our house to get me put her in a rather foul mood. I had to take the 4 wheel drive tractor to pull her out.

Some time back while driving the two wheel drive truck on highway 2, there was an accident up ahead and traffic was backed up several kilometers. I wanted to cross the median to go back the other way but was afraid to try. I saw two two wheel drive pickups try it and both were stuck. The 4X4 pickups had no problem crossing over. I had sold my lemon 4X4 Toyota and missed the 4X4 capability. It was never stuck. I have on order a new Isuzu 4X4. Living in the boonies poses more difficulties than living in a city. If I lived in a city, I would probably not even have a pickup.

I never engaged the 4 wheel drive on dry pavement and wouldn't advise anyone else to do so. Putting a strain on the drive components is not worth the strain and risk. The full time all wheel drive vehicles are a different story. They use a torque converter to even out the load. They are inferior to the standard lock up transfer cases in pickups besides using more fuel. I once had a Jeep pickup with the full time 4 wheel drive. It was a genuine piece of crap. Driving on loose dirt, sand or mud was like riding a bucking bronco. The front would jump up then the back would jump up.

They use a torque converter to even out the load. They are inferior to the standard lock up transfer cases in pickups besides using more fuel.

AWD's use a centre differential, not a torque converter, and both of them (Everest and the PJS) offer the ability to lock it, along with the rear diff too, so not inferior for off-road in any way.

The Jeep did not have the option to lock up both differentials but the main weakness was that it had no low range. An option to lock up is a great advantage and other than the fuel efficiency suffering, you are correct that they then work the same as a part time 4X4. All wheel drive without a lock up has to provide slippage somewhere in the system to equalize the strain and prevent the dreaded wind up. Regardless of what method the AWD uses, it has to provide slippage, thus the lockup option to overcome the slippage.

You lot can say what you like but I have used the Vigo's 4x4 system in the rainy season for 8 years, the traction is vastly improved, I know cos I drive the thing....biggrin.png

PS. Anyone that says wet roads ain't a slippery surface is daft. tongue.png

If the surface was that slippery you would break traction a lot easier with driven wheels.

You lot can say what you like but I have used the Vigo's 4x4 system in the rainy season for 8 years, the traction is vastly improved, I know cos I drive the thing....biggrin.png

PS. Anyone that says wet roads ain't a slippery surface is daft. tongue.png

If the surface was that slippery you would break traction a lot easier with driven wheels.

You might............laugh.png

sorry mate. I forget your ride has only like 18hp... that aint gunna break the skin on a pudding let alone traction in the wet.