Nong Khai Immigration Warning

Nong Khai Immigration is being VERY STRICT with a 'rule' they seem to have created some years back. This pertains to those seeking the retirement visa.

IN ADDITION to the 'Letter of Certification' they want to see monthly deposits in a Thai bank account and also a letter from the bank verifying same. ***Note: this only applies to those using the option of 65,000 baht per month income AND NOT those who deposit the 400k/800k.

On a good note.....they will accept the 'Letter of Certification' (of income) from the US Embassy in Laos. They keep the original so you have to get a new one each year. This was very helpful for me as I didn't want to travel to Bangkok or Chiang Mai to get the 'Letter of Certification'.

It is my understanding from reading posts on this forum that NO OTHER immigration office is making people show the 65,000 baht monthly deposit history with bank letter.

LDB :o

Edit: I hope my wording doesn't confuse anyone BUT on the 400k/800k deposit you must also have the bank letter confirming same.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

I know this is a little off subject. I just extended my marriage visa for the 2nd time.

I did have to show monthly deposits of 40,000 baht/month with the letter from Bangkok Bank at Chaing Mai immigration and was not asked to see the 400,000 in the Thai bank (which was not there).

I have only had the total amount required once the rest of the time it has been based on the monthly depoisits I make even when I did have the total amount required, they still wanted the letter from the bank. Costs 150 baht to get the letter from the bank Bank of Bangkok. Nong Khai immigration has had the policy for four years now. Which is a relaxation of the original policy when I applied for my single annual visa they wanted both the 800K and 65K a month placed in the account from outside each month. I challenged that and they allowed the 65K a month instead of the 800K.

I think we all know that each office is going to be different well as each officer. But this policy has been consistent for some four years now, in Nong Khai.

I know this is a little off subject. I just extended my marriage visa for the 2nd time.

I did have to show monthly deposits of 40,000 baht/month with the letter from Bangkok Bank at Chaing Mai immigration and was not asked to see the 400,000 in the Thai bank (which was not there).

You shouldn't have to show both because it's an OR option. Monthly deposits OR lump sum.

Pattaya immigration required the bank certification letter (confirming amount of money in the account at the time letter is issued) and copies of bank book can be used to confirm monthly deposits. You also need the embassy letter confirming your pension. One nice thing, you get to keep the original of the embassy letter (cost $30) after they see it and can use the same one every year when you get your annual renewals. Only need a new letter if/when you get a new passport (as the new passport number would no longer correspond to the number stated in your old embassy letter). Therefore, saving $30 a year and a trip to Bangkok.

Hi,

"Just to muddy the waters..."

See my thread today "Retirement Visa Application Experience (Udon Thani)

Udon Thani is a sub Immigration Office of the main office in Nong Khai.

I was granted my Retiremnt Visa THIS MORNING 25/09/06, based on my UK Embassy letter declaring my UK private pension equating to around 673,000 baht AND a Thai bank letter declaring I had transferred some 350,000 baht into my Thai savings account from abroad. Total equates to around 1,100,000 baht (more than the 800,000 baht actually needed, BUT a large part of the make-up was my pension income.

My monthly pension (Nett of UK tax) equates to around 51,000 baht BUT is paid into a UK bank (not Thai) but i was never asked about it, or where it is paid into).

I was NOT asked for proof or ANY pension income payments history into ANY bank account.

Regards

Dave

Nong Khai Immigration is being VERY STRICT with a 'rule' they seem to have created some years back. This pertains to those seeking the retirement visa.

IN ADDITION to the 'Letter of Certification' they want to see monthly deposits in a Thai bank account and also a letter from the bank verifying same. ***Note: this only applies to those using the option of 65,000 baht per month income AND NOT those who deposit the 400k/800k.

On a good note.....they will accept the 'Letter of Certification' (of income) from the US Embassy in Laos. They keep the original so you have to get a new one each year. This was very helpful for me as I didn't want to travel to Bangkok or Chiang Mai to get the 'Letter of Certification'.

It is my understanding from reading posts on this forum that NO OTHER immigration office is making people show the 65,000 baht monthly deposit history with bank letter.

LDB :D

Edit: I hope my wording doesn't confuse anyone BUT on the 400k/800k deposit you must also have the bank letter confirming same.

As you appear to be referring to the 'retirement visa', what is the relevance of the 400k you mention? :o

Pattaya immigration required the bank certification letter (confirming amount of money in the account at the time letter is issued) and copies of bank book can be used to confirm monthly deposits. You also need the embassy letter confirming your pension. One nice thing, you get to keep the original of the embassy letter (cost $30) after they see it and can use the same one every year when you get your annual renewals. Only need a new letter if/when you get a new passport (as the new passport number would no longer correspond to the number stated in your old embassy letter). Therefore, saving $30 a year and a trip to Bangkok.

They kept my original (today) and told me I must get a new one for next year. This was at Nong Khai. Tit. :o

Hi,

I was granted my Retiremnt Visa THIS MORNING 25/09/06, based on my UK Embassy letter declaring my UK private pension equating to around 673,000 baht AND a Thai bank letter declaring I had transferred some 350,000 baht into my Thai savings account from abroad. Total equates to around 1,100,000 baht (more than the 800,000 baht actually needed, BUT a large part of the make-up was my pension income.

My monthly pension (Nett of UK tax) equates to around 51,000 baht BUT is paid into a UK bank (not Thai) but i was never asked about it, or where it is paid into).

I was NOT asked for proof or ANY pension income payments history into ANY bank account.

Regards

Dave

IMO, you were extremely lucky. The same gentleman who granted your RV denied mine on the basis of NO LETTER FROM THAI BANK CONFIRMING MONTHLY HISTORY OF 65K BAHT DEPOSITS.

TiT. :D

They kept my original (today) and told me I must get a new one for next year. This was at Nong Khai. Tit. :o

Hi,

Yeah, Pattaya is good that way.

Regards

Dave

IMO, you were extremely lucky. The same gentleman who granted your RV denied mine on the basis of NO LETTER FROM THAI BANK CONFIRMING MONTHLY HISTORY OF 65K BAHT DEPOSITS.

My understanding of the Bank Letter is that is just states/confirms the amount of money in the account at the spedific moment in time (and nothing about any monthly transfers in). My letter is in Thai but has no figures relating to monthly monies only the amount in the account at the time the letter is issued. To show monthly transfers of money from foreign sources, I just copy a few of the recent pages of my bank book (and the name page) and highlight the monthly transfer entries AND THE CODE THAT SHOWS THAT IT WAS A FOREIGN FUNDS TRANSFER THAT IS NEXT TO EACH ENTRY. That show immigration that the money is coming from outside Thailand and that "local" money in not being passed around among a group of foreigners.

As you appear to be referring to the 'retirement visa', what is the relevance of the 400k you mention? :o

I'm not married but I thought if you were married you were only required to deposit 400,000 not 800,000 when trying to get the extension. If I'm wrong sorry; don't mean to post bad info. Perhaps you can clarify with correct info? This visa stuff gets confusing :D:D:D

Maybe one thing to keep in mind for those retirees living in areas that have more onerous documentation requirements than Pattaya is that Pattaya immigration's new office and procedures are really quick and easy to understand. Maybe because the number of retirees living in this area is so large they have really streamlined their procedures (apparently the new local immigration police chief is also a pretty stand-up guy and is the one responsible for these new changes). Anyway, the requirements are really clear and the office is large and orderly run (you even take a number for various services you require. They have even got tourist visa extensions down to about 10 minutes (rather than come back after 2 p.m.). It is my understanding that a non-imm O "retirement" extension can be done at any immigration office in the country (not necessary in the area where you reside) so maybe a short few days trip to Pattaya would be in order in order to to the annual extension and then back up country you would go. :o

Hi,

Yeah, Pattaya is good that way.

Regards

Dave

My understanding of the Bank Letter is that is just states/confirms the amount of money in the account at the spedific moment in time (and nothing about any monthly transfers in). My letter is in Thai but has no figures relating to monthly monies only the amount in the account at the time the letter is issued. To show monthly transfers of money from foreign sources, I just copy a few of the recent pages of my bank book (and the name page) and highlight the monthly transfer entries AND THE CODE THAT SHOWS THAT IT WAS A FOREIGN FUNDS TRANSFER THAT IS NEXT TO EACH ENTRY. That show immigration that the money is coming from outside Thailand and that "local" money in not being passed around among a group of foreigners.

It's becoming clear to me each office handles the requirements differently. AND within each office different officers may/may not ask for different things.

It's becoming clear to me each office handles the requirements differently. AND within each office different officers may/may not ask for different things.

Surely true but Pattaya has been pretty consistant for the past 3 years I have been dealing with them. Even see the same officers each year...promotions must come very slowly in the Thai civil service...(They even know me now.) and never a problem or wanting anything "extra." Of course, I have all my paperwork in order.

Edited by george

I'm not married but I thought if you were married you were only required to deposit 400,000 not 800,000 when trying to get the extension. If I'm wrong sorry; don't mean to post bad info. Perhaps you can clarify with correct info? This visa stuff gets confusing :D:D:D

I was actually wondering if that was what you meant, although your specific focus was on the 'retirement visa'. The marriage visa is of no concern to me, but obviously is for others.

I can well see that you are just trying to be helpful; I just wanted some clarification as it is very relevant to a pal of mine. :D

Same-same for me in Pattaya last week: They wanted the original of the bank letter and one copy.

Same-same for me in Pattaya last week: They wanted the original of the bank letter and one copy.

wpcoe - I think you mis-read the post. We are referring to the letter from the US Embassy; not the letter from the bank.

Aaaargh! Nope. I mis-typed.

I meant: "They wanted the original of the Embassy letter and one copy."

At Pattaya Immigrations. Go figure.

PS: The bank letter had to be two originals.

Edited by wpcoe

The man at counter #8 told me distinctly that I needed two copies of the bank guarantee letter, "two originals, no copy". So, that's what I got.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)

My bank the Bangkok bank automatically gave me TWO originals which I gave to the Immigration Officer (even though he could not find the 2nd a few minutes later and asked of a photocopy.

Lucky I allowed for every combination and had all the bases covered (well nearly all :o ).

Dave

Unless you have already decided that you will go and apply at another immigration office, you could try Nongkai again later but still within the last 30 days of your permission to stay and see if the officer then applies the rules correctly, i.e. only embassy letter, no history of 65K remittances to Thailand.

A savings bank book is needed also in your case, to show that you have a local account from which to draw money for your living expenses, but the balance in that account is irrelevant if the embassy letter confirms pension or other income of at least 65K/month.

--------------

Maestro

Edit: From this post I see that your extension for retirement already got approved.

Edited by maestro

I assume that all this can't really apply to the peson applying or a retirement visa for the first time shortly after arriving in Thailand.

For example, I recently applied for and received a one year multiple entry non-imigtant "O" visa. I'm 55, and through the US embasy can document the 65,000 baht+ monthly income. And I will open a Thai bank account with a few hundred thousand baht when I arrive. But at that point I'll hardly have a "history" of 65,000 baht deposits. So I guess the letter frm the embassy and a copy of my bank book will bave to do it.

John

I assume that all this can't really apply to the person applying or a retirement visa for the first time shortly after arriving in Thailand.

For example, I recently applied for and received a one year multiple entry non-immigrant "O" visa. I'm 55, and through the US embassy can document the 65,000 baht+ monthly income. And I will open a Thai bank account with a few hundred thousand baht when I arrive. But at that point I'll hardly have a "history" of 65,000 baht deposits. So I guess the letter from the embassy and a copy of my bank book will bave to do it.

TIT...I have done several annual "retirement" visa renewals at Pattaya immigration and it's always been the same...with the most recent being last month. The two "originals" of the bank letter is silly (besides being an oxymoron). The same man for the past 3 years has needed the original and a copy. The cost is B100 (if I recall correctly) for this letter from Bangkok Bank. They want to examine the original of the embassy letter re pension/monthly income and keep a copy for their files. He tells me to keep the orignial for "renew next year" and I have actually used an "old" letter to renew in the past. Then I provide my original savings account bank book (for examination) and copies of the pages showing the past few months transactions (with my monthly foreign wire transfers highlighted). This last bit is not technically required but just my "extra" proof of financial wherewithal. Then I provide the original and copy of the medical certificate (B50-B200) from any clinic in Pattaya. Finally, copies of the passport/visa/TM pages and the B1900 and you are home free. :o

By the way, what's with the questions about your sisters and brothers and how old they are and what jobs they have <deleted>???

As to doing it your first time, as you say, you will hardly have much history of monthly transfers but if you open your account early in your first 3 months (validity of your visa), you should have at least 2-3 such transfers to show. Initial funding of the account at around B200,000 also shows that you have some financial wherewithal and looks good to the imm folks (though is not technically necessary but if you can afford it, certainly makes you look like a "good" retiree). :D

Edited by JonnieB

....TIT...I have done several annual "retirement" visa renewals at Pattaya immigration....

Hi Jonnie,

Although I have just got my Retirement Visa so I am not worried about renewal for 11 months may I ask you what the requirements are for a RENEWAL. I assume they are almost identical to the first time application but can I ask about 3 specific items.

1) BASED on the past rulings if the Retirement financial threshold has been increased (as it was from 400,000 to 800,000) is the new level always what is required to be met at each new renewal, or is it the threshold that was requird at the time of FIRST application (in my case always 800,000 baht)?

2) Do you need a new doctors medical report each renewal or was that item just for the FIRST time Retirment Visa application ONLY

3) Are you suggesting that if my pension continues to be paid direct into my UK account that when I try to renew I will have major problems that I did not have on first application.

My understanding was that you are not required to have your pension income paid directly into a Thai bank account or the need to show history. Isn't a UK bank original statement enough to show the payment history?

:o Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Thai Immigration Bureau decided what was really needed (extensive or not) and then informed ALL the Immigration offices under them and how to administer applications AND informed applicants of the exact requirements needed to be presented. It should not matter which office you attend but it does seem to and nobody knows where they stand or what is required.

Everybody (Immigration and applicants) would have a much easier and smoother time (application accepted or not).

Regards

Dave

1) BASED on the past rulings if the Retirement financial threshold has been increased (as it was from 400,000 to 800,000) is the new level always what is required to be met at each new renewal, or is it the threshold that was requird at the time of FIRST application (in my case always 800,000 baht)?

2) Do you need a new doctors medical report each renewal or was that item just for the FIRST time Retirment Visa application ONLY

3) Are you suggesting that if my pension continues to be paid direct into my UK account that when I try to renew I will have major problems that I did not have on first application.

My understanding was that you are not required to have your pension income paid directly into a Thai bank account or the need to show history. Isn't a UK bank original statement enough to show the payment history?

Hi Dave,

In answer to your questions, here is my best understanding of the rules and what I have done these past several years:

1) Generally, when the financial amounts to qualify for a particular type of visa are raised, those who already have that visa, and renew it before it expires, are "grandfathered" in at their old amount (i.e., their financial requirement stays the same). So, in your case, to annually renew your "retirement" visa the financial requirement should stay at B800,000. Recently the amounts for the "marriage" visa were raised and currently, the amount for the "investment" visa will be either being raised to B 10M or this visa class eliminated all together (nobody seems to know which yet) but immigration has stated that those already possessing this type of visa can continue to renew them at their current rates regardless of whatever changes are made. This is how it has been in the past...and is a good guide for the future, but of course it is not guaranteed that rates are NEVER changed.

2) You need to have a new medical certificate annually.

3) I think you may be a little confused. The requirement for the "retirement" visa is to have B 800,000 in a Thai bank account OR have pension/investment income of at least around B 66,000 per month (you do conversion into Sterling). In addition, the immigration folks want to see evidence that this amount of money (minimum) is being transferred into a Thai bank per month. If you do not want to make monthly transfers into a Thai bank account, then you are required to initially fund the account with B 800,000. (Basically, this is one years worth of monthly transfers in advance...B 66,000 x 12 = B 800,000). If you don't want to or don't have it all at once, you provide the documentation showing the monthly pension/income and then do monthly transfers from the UK account to the Thai bank at B 66,000 minimum.

Summary: If you have the B 800,000 or more in the Thai account when it is time to renew, then you should not have to provide any documentation as to a pension or monthly transfers into a Thai bank account. However, if you don't have that amount, then you need to "top-off" the account to that amount or show the monthly transfers into your Thai bank for the renewal.

I hope that answers your questions.

It all may sound a little bit complicated at first, but it really isn't. Enjoy your retirement. :o

Unless you have already decided that you will go and apply at another immigration office, you could try Nongkai again later but still within the last 30 days of your permission to stay and see if the officer then applies the rules correctly, i.e. only embassy letter, no history of 65K remittances to Thailand.

A savings bank book is needed also in your case, to show that you have a local account from which to draw money for your living expenses, but the balance in that account is irrelevant if the embassy letter confirms pension or other income of at least 65K/month.

--------------

Maestro

Edit: From this post I see that your extension for retirement already got approved.

maestro, good catch on the other thread.

This is an open forum and I've been a little reluctant to post how I got my retirement visa because you never know who reads this stuff. Anyway, I'll post my experience to show everyone HOW WACKY THE SYSTEM IS.

On Friday, Sept. 22 I went to the Nong Khai Extension Branch in Udon Thani to submit my application for retirement visa. I was denied. The guy there has a BAD REP with many local farang in Udon Thani.

On Monday, Sept. 25 I knew this guy would be working again at Udon Thani so I drove to Nong Khai. I submitted the EXACT SAME PAPERWORK and was approved.

Now, I have to avoid this guy when I do the 90 day reporting because he will lose face if he discovers I went to someone else and they reversed his decision. I don't need this guy on my case especially with the rep he already has.

:o go figure.......TiT :D

On Friday, Sept. 22 I went to the Nong Khai Extension Branch in Udon Thani to submit my application for retirement visa. I was denied. The guy there has a BAD REP with many local farang in Udon Thani.

On Monday, Sept. 25 I knew this guy would be working again at Udon Thani so I drove to Nong Khai. I submitted the EXACT SAME PAPERWORK and was approved.

Now, I have to avoid this guy when I do the 90 day reporting because he will lose face if he discovers I went to someone else and they reversed his decision. I don't need this guy on my case especially with the rep he already has.

TITITIT :o

A suggestion, maybe it might help if you make your face stand-out from the crowd (in a good way). Become a face and not just another farang in the crowd of service seekers by showing an extra courtesy. Now this guy you are dealing with is just acting out his powers as a petty bureaucrat like they do the world over (he may also have something up his arse re farangs for some reason, again like many people around the world when it comes to "foreigners" in their country).

In any case, maybe the official you did deal with in Nong Khai, next Songkran, take him one of those gift baskets they sell at that time of year with a bottle of Black or Chives in it and maybe a little envelope in it with maybe B1000 in it. Just visit him before the holiday break and thank him for his efforts on your behalf re the visa and any other matters he may have helped you with in the past. This is not a bribe or anything (because you already have your extension) but just a show of appreciation. Then the next time you go in for some service or your annual renewal, he should remember you and at the least, give good service and maybe help smooth out any issues that may arise in your paperwork. At least he will not consider you another demanding farang but someone who has some appreciation for all the overworked underpaid bureaucrats of the world.

I have done this at Pattaya immigration for a couple of the officials I often deal with and they always remember me and do their best to assist me when visa renewals, residence certificates, or other matters come up in which I need their assistance. The cost is minimal and really, as a foreigner living in Thailand, the immigration department is the one office where you want to be know as a stand-up guy. :D

Maybe one thing to keep in mind for those retirees living in areas that have more onerous documentation requirements than Pattaya is that Pattaya immigration's new office and procedures are really quick and easy to understand. Maybe because the number of retirees living in this area is so large they have really streamlined their procedures (apparently the new local immigration police chief is also a pretty stand-up guy and is the one responsible for these new changes). Anyway, the requirements are really clear and the office is large and orderly run (you even take a number for various services you require. They have even got tourist visa extensions down to about 10 minutes (rather than come back after 2 p.m.). It is my understanding that a non-imm O "retirement" extension can be done at any immigration office in the country (not necessary in the area where you reside) so maybe a short few days trip to Pattaya would be in order in order to to the annual extension and then back up country you would go. :o

Best idea I've heard great excuse to get out of town and some un for a change, might even look forward to it then.

Best idea I've heard great excuse to get out of town and some un for a change, might even look forward to it then.

Look forward to Immigration visit.....Ray wake up you're in dream mode my friend :D:D:D