Drink Drive campaign ,now getting serious

loppylugs1

I live in Thailand so I drink & drive obviously, however if I make it real late I do take a taxi.

Jeez, an honest ThaiVisa poster, we should have you stuffed and wall mounted, a rare specimen indeed. smile.pngthumbsup.gif

And your 100% not one.

Oh dear, seems as though you identify yourself in my posts, hence i understand the hostility and forgive you. smile.png

Edited by Broken Record

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Thailand so I drink & drive obviously, however if I make it real late I do take a taxi.

Jeez, an honest ThaiVisa poster, we should have you stuffed and wall mounted, a rare specimen indeed. smile.pngthumbsup.gif

And your 100% not one.

Oh dear, seems as though you identify yourself in my posts, hence i understand the hostility and forgive you. smile.png

You are a true broken record.

Get the lady in front of you to pour you one more thumbsup.gif

It will just be turned into a

very large tea money making opportunity. wai2.gif

Wonder what the bribe would be if a Farang faced Jail time and Deportation as the alternative, would be a massive earner for the Police, although I assume, unlike now, most Farangs wouldn't drink and drive with such draconian penalties

Wonder what the bribe would be if a Farang faced Jail time and Deportation as the alternative, would be a massive earner for the Police, although I assume, unlike now, most Farangs wouldn't drink and drive with such draconian penalties

Without revealing too much, 30k baht solves a lot.

Edited by dennis123

Easy to stop drink driving. You have a national press release across the Country with a 3 month lead in time. After the amnesty period straight forward 3 month jail term no messing, no pay offs, no sick grannies, straight to the Jail.

I guarantee 90% of the current drink drivers including the idiots on Bikes in Pattaya would cease their activity overnight

The only problem with this plan would be where to house all the convicts? It wouldn't be feasible.

It's easy to say "lock em all up", but you have to put them somewhere.

It is all very well having road blocks and the like but it is the action taken against those found over the limit that needs to be looked at and the full force of the existing laws put into place. A slap on the wrist, THB500 fine and nothing else is no deterrent whatsoever. Heavier fines and an immediate ban would help.

Personally not being a drinker when I am driving I relish being stopped at check points because I can be totally confident that there will not be a problem and I love the expression on the policeman's face when in addition to being clean I have all the requisite documents. All that time and effort and no income for the bs.i.b.!

Easy to stop drink driving. You have a national press release across the Country with a 3 month lead in time. After the amnesty period straight forward 3 month jail term no messing, no pay offs, no sick grannies, straight to the Jail.

I guarantee 90% of the current drink drivers including the idiots on Bikes in Pattaya would cease their activity overnight

And a heavy fine of say Baht 50,000 plus vehicle impounded and sold to a scrap yard

I live in Thailand so I drink & drive obviously,

What do you mean obvously !

My boy was knocked over on a crossing. I see you pissed and driving I have no hesitation in getting you busted Period

Sorry to hear about that.

With obvious I mean that 99% of the Thai people I know drink & drive, and most of the foreigners as well.

Drink driving is not the real problem on the roads of Thailand.
its very very far deeper problem. bah.gif

Is Drinking while Driving then .

Please explain what your on about ?
cc

Not positive what he means, but I think he is maybe asking for clarification on your statement. What exactly do you think is the far deeper problem?

Cant say to-much, but if you drive a lot in Thailand
there are bigger issues. its not just the guy who is pissed up and takes someone out on the roads, that's not the big problem.

You don't need to be drunk to kill on the roads of Thailand you just need to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a think about it, look what you see on the roads.
behaviour, attitude, actions, none actions, and many more.

Its not so good,
lots of very selfish people, and no respect for others.

been to many BBQ at the temple, for bad drivers and there victims

Crazy roads

There has never in the history of Thailand any guiding, teaching, compulsory driving school time, no TV teaching, I bet most of the Thai government officials, police and many more have never had any driving lessons in their life. The Thai drivers have no road sense, no consideration for other road users, they just know their 3 mail things, Excilarator, stearing wheel and breaks. They think that mirrors on a car or motor bike are to check their hair or put a bit of make up on.

The checkpoint on Sukhumvit is not a new thing. They have a checkpoint in and out of town there from time to time. The Bang Lamung police station is right there.

It would seem that a checkpoint going into town where you mentioned would not be an ideal place to catch drunk drivers.

+1

Who gets drunk then drives in to town?

They've got it a bit ass first haven't they?

Well I've read it all now what's this site called!!!! Maybe looney tunes would be a good name for it how the flying fig leaves can someone say someone pissed who takes someone out whilst driving is not a big problem!!!!!!!! How many wine gums you had ONEMORECHANG oh there's a pun there silly me. Unbelievabley stupid post (bring on the insults xx)

You are about 90% correct. It would be 100% but you used the future tense by saying "It will just be etc". Thai police would protest if drunk drivers were ever to be taken-off the road for any lengthy period eg 5 year ban. Banning habitual drunk drivers would remove potential re-offenders from the police tea money gravy train. In effect this would mean current 'investment vehicles' being depleted if driving bans were enforced, The lack of strict enforcement of the wearing of helmets is a good example of keeping investment income rolling into police coffers. As we know police salaries are a pittance, and every means possible is used to supplement the police force's income.

I might sound cynical, but please feel free to differ and then explain to me why all categories of road traffic offenders are fined and not banned.

And a heavy fine of say Baht 50,000 plus vehicle impounded and sold to a scrap yard

That's to hard for the locals, most just don't have money like that.

If you take his vehicle and put him in jail.

Will the Thai government take care of his family ?

I think not. wai2.gif

That's to hard for the locals, most just don't have money like that.

If you take his vehicle and put him in jail.

Will the Thai government take care of his family ?

I think not. wai2.gif

They dont have tough luck. They can spend more time in jail. If they didnt drive under the influence they wouldnt need to pay a fine. It is the drivers responsibility and if he / she is not capable of accepting that then keep them off the road.

They dont have tough luck. They can spend more time in jail. If they didnt drive under the influence they wouldnt need to pay a fine. It is the drivers responsibility and if he / she is not capable of accepting that then keep them off the road.

Fines could be done on the ability to pay .

But that never crossed your mind, just mad ranting.

Thai people are lucky that your not in charge. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I agree that having stiffer penalties would help with the Don't Drink and Drive Campaign, but just throwing them in Prison also creates new sets of problems, like Prison Overpopulation and the cost and manpower associated in keeping them there.

I would much rather see a penalty imposed where it does not come out of the governments pockets. Perhaps Community Service, like having to cut weeds for the government for free for a few weekends, which effects both the rich and poor. A steeper suspension of your Driver's License and Fine. Paying for and attending a Driver Re-education Program before you get your license back. Loss of your vehicle used in this crime, and sold at government auction. Granted it would be more difficult to get a Car Loan then, which means less cars on the road and less drunks to.

Whatever the case, this problem is not easy to solve in any country. Even in ones with automatic jails sentences.

But they never crossed your mind, just mad ranting.

You bet they are. Crime of all kind has to have a penelty that makes it not worth while committing it. A slap on the wrist does nothing. Once a few have been heavily fined it is likely many of the offenders would think twice before they did the same. If they have a car or evn a motor bike they have some money so lets for once look at the individual who is going to be affected by a drunk running into him and forget about the oh so poor drunk behind the wheel. Drinking is a choice no one forces you to drink so they have to be held responsible for their actions. One last though lets assume a drunk hits a pedestrian but doesnt kill them. How much does it cost for the injured to be taken care of in hospital? But I dont think you really care about the injured party.

Edited by gandalf12

You bet they are. Crime of all kind has to have a penelty that makes it not worth while committing it. A slap on the wrist does nothing. Once a few have been heavily fined it is likely many of the offenders would think twice before they did the same. If they have a car or evn a motor bike they have some money so lets for once look at the individual who is going to be affected by a drunk running into him and forget about the oh so poor drunk behind the wheel. Drinking is a choice no one forces you to drink so they have to be held responsible for their actions. One last though lets assume a drunk hits a pedestrian but doesnt kill them. How much does it cost for the injured to be taken care of in hospital? But I dont think you really care about the injured party.

Keep on ranting,

You are about 90% correct. It would be 100% but you used the future tense by saying "It will just be etc". Thai police would protest if drunk drivers were ever to be taken-off the road for any lengthy period eg 5 year ban. Banning habitual drunk drivers would remove potential re-offenders from the police tea money gravy train. In effect this would mean current 'investment vehicles' being depleted if driving bans were enforced, The lack of strict enforcement of the wearing of helmets is a good example of keeping investment income rolling into police coffers. As we know police salaries are a pittance, and every means possible is used to supplement the police force's income.

I might sound cynical, but please feel free to differ and then explain to me why all categories of road traffic offenders are fined and not banned.

i have one issue with your logic. If they are paying tea money then they won't be put through the system anyway. The tougher the penalties are, the more likely the offender will come up with the tea money to avoid prosecution

Keep on ranting,

It is morons like you that contribute to the death rate on the roads. I assume from your attitude you do your fair share of diving under the influence. With a bit of luck you may be on the receiving end. I bet then you wont think it is so trivial

It was intentional as I was trying not to point a direct finger at the !!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on ranting,

It is morons like you that contribute to the death rate on the roads. I assume from your attitude you do your fair share of diving under the influence. With a bit of luck you may be on the receiving end. I bet then you wont think it is so trivial

Now your talking BS and still ranting.

Go drive down the bar have a few cool ones to calm down

then come back .bah.gif