HELP! Involved in an accident

patyh

Does it effect you insurance cost if you have a claim against you?

Here in saudi a lot of people drive without insurance so the blame always go's on the insured party. So for an Expat it is always your fault, but the cost of insurance isn't effected, so I have no problem taking blame if it doesn't cost me anything...

Is it similar in thailand?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If I din't recall wrongly. Yes and no.

It means that I am not eligible for a no-claim bonus from my current insurer for the next year. But that doesn't stop me from picking other companies.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it effect you insurance cost if you have a claim against you?

Here in saudi a lot of people drive without insurance so the blame always go's on the insured party. So for an Expat it is always your fault, but the cost of insurance isn't effected, so I have no problem taking blame if it doesn't cost me anything...

Is it similar in thailand?

Supposedly Thailand has no claim discounts, though i never seem to get cheaper premiums on renewal even without claiming

Another scam, report them to 1515, make copies of the phone call or have a witness, put videos on social media.

People in Thailand are no longer sheep, report everything, get involved.

Once "they" see people won't pay or cower to thier threats they will go away.

Yes probably a new scam, so adapt and take back the "Kingdom of Thailand".

Let the insurance guy handle it. Change if you want, but so far it looks like he is doing his job. That is presuming you are to blame, which can easily be the case from your story.

This 2 sentences do not really make insurance guy all that reassuring

My insurance guy arrived and we asses the situation. He also said that he would argue for me if I insists, but the damage makes it seems as though I was at fault.

He also asked me to accept so that the motorcyclist can have a higher claim ceiling while he was being treated in the hospital. Out of pity and a lack of option, I agreed.

If the damage indicates the op was wrong he is going beyond his duty by still willing to argue for the OP.

For others in these accidents: first call insurance, don't move anything until insurance guy arrives, unless ordered by police. And be sure to make photos of the accident.

I've heard this kind of thing before. Essentially, Farang has money. Depends on your insurance agent and the attitude of the police. You'll possibly end up paying ฿20 000.- even though your insurance is paying.

You'll only end up paying 20,000, if you're a fool. The more you resist this kind of thing, and expose it, the less they will try to pull it.

"I stand up for principles'. Lawyers love that, you are forgetting that TIT and in some cases you just can't win. I know a very hard headed guy that decided that just paying out was the easier solution.

Another scam, report them to 1515, make copies of the phone call or have a witness, put videos on social media.

People in Thailand are no longer sheep, report everything, get involved.

Once "they" see people won't pay or cower to thier threats they will go away.

Yes probably a new scam, so adapt and take back the "Kingdom of Thailand".

What's 1515, please? If it's the scam report hotline, maybe there is a God! I'd be on that mofo all day long.

I've heard this kind of thing before. Essentially, Farang has money. Depends on your insurance agent and the attitude of the police. You'll possibly end up paying ฿20 000.- even though your insurance is paying.

You'll only end up paying 20,000, if you're a fool. The more you resist this kind of thing, and expose it, the less they will try to pull it.

"I stand up for principles'. Lawyers love that, you are forgetting that TIT and in some cases you just can't win. I know a very hard headed guy that decided that just paying out was the easier solution.

As a critical thinker, I can appreciate your principles, and those of the hard head, too.

However, I'm sticking with my game plan on this, because it's smells like a scam.

If you keep giving them the 'I don't have any money' routine, they will, hopefully, crawl back under the rock from which they came.

After all, he's doing everything that the law requires him to do, the m/c rider doesn't have the money to file a claim and the claim wouldn't hold water, since it's civil, if the insurance company has already paid out.

As an aside; as long as the Thai people are going through changes to better their lives, shouldn't we, the long term expats, also implement some of our own demands? Just a thought..

There was a similar thread in the Pattaya forum a few weeks ago, I think the guy paid a 400 baht fine and something to the hospital, My own experience is that if someone has an accident, especially with a Foreigner the old $$$$$ start showing. Amounts will start at about 100K and then you negotiate down. The insurance company is only worried about the damage to vehicles and medical costs....the other, such as loss of earnings etc are down to you. Be strong and not intimidated by the guy or his family /friends and maybe a small compensation payment of a few thousand can be agreed...after all if you were at fault its only fair he shouldnt loose out. Don't get angry either..good luck

I believe you will be attributed as responsible and expected to cover hospital costs, vehicle damage and compensation.

But I would let the insurance company handle it and not get involved in private discussion, particularly with relatives.

The sad fact here is that, since you are a foreigner, it could well be seen as an opportunity to make some money out of you.

He was pissed because he has spent some of it already.

You might be needing a lawyer in the future.

Hey guys. Thanks for the response.

Like I've mentioned, the only reason I was willing to sign the paper the day was :

1. I was in shock

2. I was advised by my insurance guy that he don't see a possible way to fight. And by admitting fault, the victim would be able to claim his maximum under the "Por Ror Bor" of 65k.

3. I really just want to end this stressful episode as soon as possible.

Like I've mentioned on this thread, I'm thai by birth thanks to my mother. But just got my citizenship 3 years ago and lived in Thailand for about 3 years. While I am able to speak Thai fluently, I'm not able to read or write thai.

Thanks to Konying for his opinion, have spoken to a lawyer friend who, like Konying, insisted that all communication between the victim and I shall only be through my insurer. No more direct contact.

Now, when I initially posted this is because of the "extra money" that the victim's brother requested. If he does call again, I will make sure to record it down. On the other hand, I'm simply waiting to pay a fine for "Reckless driving" at the police station and then put this matter behind me as soon as possible.

I'm not trying to push my responsibility in this matter away, but this is after all an accident. No one wanted this to happen. And that's what I paid 1st Class Insurance for right?

Anyway, would love to hear more opinion from you guys. Will update this thread if I've an update. Hopefully this, as well as the thread in the pattaya forum, can help others who are in my situation as well.

No real loss then if he gets paid out by insurance... unless he uses the money to sue you!

I'm hoping that's a joke and not a possibility!

Surely any injury claims are always dealt with through your car insurance?

Apparently that's what I believe and hope. Might call my insurance company later today and figure out what's going on.

There was a similar thread in the Pattaya forum a few weeks ago, I think the guy paid a 400 baht fine and something to the hospital, My own experience is that if someone has an accident, especially with a Foreigner the old $$$$$ start showing. Amounts will start at about 100K and then you negotiate down. The insurance company is only worried about the damage to vehicles and medical costs....the other, such as loss of earnings etc are down to you. Be strong and not intimidated by the guy or his family /friends and maybe a small compensation payment of a few thousand can be agreed...after all if you were at fault its only fair he shouldnt loose out. Don't get angry either..good luck

Really surprised to read this from you.

For starters if someone is employed, they are entitled to 30 sick days, so no income is lost .

If they not employed , well then no income is lost.

In which country or what law is one entitled to compensation for loss of income due to motor accident with minor injury?

Are you fully insured?

Opps! Forgot to add,

Car is a 2 years old Mitsubishi Attrage. Driving around with a First Class Insurance.

You never forget Patya you stated this at the end. Stupid TV members can't bother to read properly,

....decent = stupid......

...you are dealing with primitive 'near-savages' here....

...you let them smell the fear in your sweat = blood for these predators...

...he smashed in to you....you were turning out...he was speeding...you were at a crawl...

...for a Thai in your position this never would have gone so far.....

...all theatrics.....

....the half-Thai murdered a policeman...ran away from the scene....probably intoxicated or worse....and barely paid anything.....comparatively...

...next you'll be buying them a house....

..and that's right...talk with no one....

...did you want to show off your Thai language skills......???

Edited by SOTIRIOS

I had a similar accident only a few days ago, and can only relate my experiences, although mine was in a rural area. I was in the process of making a right turn onto my road from the rural highway. There were 2 girls on a motorbike behind me. As I was turning right, the driver decided to speed up in order to pass me on the right, and hit the driver's side of the car creating a lot of damage covered by insurance.

Both girls flew off the bike, fortunately landing on grass and dirt. Driver hurt pretty much, and passenger only slightly. Police, and ambulance came, and took the more injured girl to the hospital. Although it was clearly the motorbike driver's fault, my wife (Thai) advised me to agree that it was mutual fault of both parties so we wouldn't have to go to court.

As is custom, we went to the hospital until the girl was released about an hour later (her whole family was also there). We then went to the police station where I had to pay a fine for not paying attention (400 baht), and reckless driving(100 baht). The other girl had to pay 1000 baht. When I asked my wife why she had to pay twice as much as me, she said it was because 2 of them were on the motorbike. Only in Thailand.

I was very relieved to get out of all of this so cheaply, but my wife said it would be nice if I went to the girls and gave each of them 1000 baht. I'll think about it.

I totally agree, Only a fool would end up paying 20000. Unfortunately their tends to be to many farlang fools.

I had a similar accident only a few days ago, and can only relate my experiences, although mine was in a rural area. I was in the process of making a right turn onto my road from the rural highway. There were 2 girls on a motorbike behind me. As I was turning right, the driver decided to speed up in order to pass me on the right, and hit the driver's side of the car creating a lot of damage covered by insurance.

Both girls flew off the bike, fortunately landing on grass and dirt. Driver hurt pretty much, and passenger only slightly. Police, and ambulance came, and took the more injured girl to the hospital. Although it was clearly the motorbike driver's fault, my wife (Thai) advised me to agree that it was mutual fault of both parties so we wouldn't have to go to court.

As is custom, we went to the hospital until the girl was released about an hour later (her whole family was also there). We then went to the police station where I had to pay a fine for not paying attention (400 baht), and reckless driving(100 baht). The other girl had to pay 1000 baht. When I asked my wife why she had to pay twice as much as me, she said it was because 2 of them were on the motorbike. Only in Thailand.

I was very relieved to get out of all of this so cheaply, but my wife said it would be nice if I went to the girls and gave each of them 1000 baht. I'll think about it.

Tell your wife to go give her own 2000 and see if she will feel same way about being nice

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was trying to cross to enter a business in the other side of a two lane road. Traffic was backed up to some lights, so quite unusually a car backed up so I could cross over. As I slowly moved forward a motorbike came racing up on the inside hard shoulder and slammed straight into the front of my car (which is fitted with bull bars). The male rider was uninjured, but his female pillion had a leg injury. The bike was bent too, but no damage to my car. The police arrived, and an ambulance, and we all made statements and produced our documents. The bike was uninsured, and tax out of date, and they were not wearing helmets. All my papers were good, but I didn't have comprehensive insurance. In the end, I was blamed and made to pay for the bike damage, her hospital bills and her loss of income..! We later found out that she wasn't working where she said she was, and we stopped all further payments. The police thought it was funny that I objected to the way they handled the case. I was later stopped and threatened with jail, if I didn't pay a substantial bribe. My opinion of the Thai Police was changed forever after..