How can I stream US TV programs

CALSinCM

I keep meeting people who tell me they watch US and International TV on the Internet using their computer.

I must be as dense as a brick. I can't figure out how to do it. In fact, it seems like places like HBO don't even want an expat with a VPN to subscribe.

Hell, all I want to do is legally watch TV, even if I pay for it. What are options others use?

Edited by CALSinCM

There are many...

Start with USTVNow.com -- no VPN required. In fact, you can't have a U.S. IP address to watch it.

They have a free plan with the over the air channels. And then paid plans if you want higher res and cable channels in addition, as well as cloud DVR capability for time shifting U.S. shows to more convenient times here.

Their local channels originate from Pennsylvania, so they run on East Coast time and that's the region their network programming also is geared to in terms of Sunday football broadcasts and such.

http://www.ustvnow.com/

https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/21994156-What-plans-channels-are-available-

For a low cost approach to major cable TV content albeit the English language Asia region versions of everything, check out ILikeHD.com. They offer separate packages oriented to Thai language, and then a different set for English language. You pretty much have to register for an account, but don't have to pay yet, in order to see on their website just what they offer and how their plans are priced.

http://knd1.ilikehd.com/kaneda/web/login/

http://knd1.ilikehd.com/kaneda/web/free/

In both cases here, no special equipment required to buy or have on your end. Just a decent capacity PC or similar device with the Adobe Flash Player installed, and a decent speed Internet connection. Both services above can be set to stream at higher or lower data rates, depending on the speed of your connection.

Both are well-suited to those who are "dense as a brick" about technology and/or video streaming.

Ohh...and... USTVNow is fully legit and legal. ILikeHD is based in Thailand, so, assume what you will... But both are pretty stable, consistent and ongoing operations that have been running for years. And in both cases, you only pay month to month.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Google Rabbit TV Many US channels. No VPN required. Cost about $10./year.

Lefty

Is this the product you're talking about, a USB plug in device that basically points you to the various websites of existing content that's available already for free on various websites?

Read the user comments that various folks have posted underneath the YouTube video reviews.

The OP question is a little broad. The ways to watch TV here in Thailand via the internet are huge, depending on your technical knowledge, your ability/desire to pay actual money, and how seamless you want it to. In other words, do you want to turn on a TV and it look close to or similar to watch you had at home.

My two cents on the subject:

USTVNOW is a great easy option, for an easy to use, low quality (for the free option) and totally legal. no need to hide your geo location. If you want t pay them some money you can have something that gets close to looking like a cable subscription at home.

Kodi, I'm going to side with TallGuyJohn on this one, not straightforward, you need to mess, meddle and tinker too much for my taste.

So, if you're prepared to spend money then things open up somewhat:

If you're non techie the idea of flashing and configuring routers probably isn't an option. But you can buy preconfigured routers for a VPN/DNS service, then the network in your home will like like wherever you want it to be. Flashrouters & Astrill are two providers that come to mind, there are more.

At that point you can do anything on your PC that you would at home, or you can then use Roku and/or Apple TV boxes to watch on a real TV.

When you mention that HBO would let you subscribe, even with a VPN, what you really mean is that they wont let you use a credit card with a non US billing address. I subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, Showtime & CBS All Access, using either my US credit card or paypal with my US mailing address

I've been into this for some years now, and have had a change of heart/direction over time as a result of the TIME ZONE difference between the U.S. and Thailand, when it comes to watching TV.

Originally, my intent and focus was on accessing live streams of U.S. networks/content, either directly or thru services such as USTVNow or the even newer SlingTV service for $20+ per month that streams a group of U.S. cable networks (but not the OTA channels). But what I quickly discovered, of course, is that watching those here in LOS at 9 pm at night gets you the 9 am U.S. network content, which usually is a lot of junk. And at least for me, I'm typically not situated that I want to be watching my primetime TV from the U.S. at 9 am to noon Thai time.

So, because of that, I've generally migrated over time from dealing with live streams to focusing on VOD (Video on Demand) services, whether they be NFL GamePass, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, or even apps like the Genesis add-on in Kodi, the latter which offers up a tremendous selection of movies and TV shows that you can watch for free, on demand, including typically entire seasons of shows.

The various U.S. VOD services I listed all pretty much require a VPN or DNS redirect service in order to provide the required U.S. IP address, whereas Kodi/Genesis doesn't care where you are.

Of course, if you're willing to shell out $39 a month for your TV watching habit, USTVNow's basic cable channels DVR package comes with a cloud DVR capability that allows you to select your desired shows and then watch them online at whatever time you choose. SlingTV, on the other hand, has no DVR capability and only a pretty limited VOD capability, and none for most of its most popular networks like CNN, TNT, TBS and ESPN.

But every time I think about that, I realize how much I miss the old/now defunct Aereo service that allowed you to do the same thing (watch live or cloud DVR record) but only for the U.S. over-the-air major and minor networks (not cable, for the most part) for the price of about $8 a month. Now, that was a deal -- until the U.S. Supreme Court copyright ruling killed it.

So the point here is, anyone considering this stuff, should consider what hours they expect to be watching television here, and how those hours fit into the U.S. TV schedules and time zones, and then decide whether live streaming or VOD fits into your situation.

BTW, here's the basic info for the new SlingTV service in the U.S.:

Starts at $20 a month for a selection of live stream U.S. cable TV networks such as CNN, TBS, TNT, several ESPN channels, AMC, History, A&E, Food Network, Disney Channel, Adult Swim and others. Requires a U.S. VPN or DNS, and you can't even access their website without one.

Month to month service, all online shown in your web browser, no equipment involved. As I mentioned above, there is some limited VOD capability, but that's mostly for the less interesting channels. For the majors like CNN, TBS, TNT, ESPN, there is NO VOD, AFAIK.

Provides NONE of the traditional over the air networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, CW, etc). The service is meant as a cable TV alternative to U.S. folks who can already get their major network OTA channels via digital antenna reception.

https://www.sling.com/slingtv?cvosrc=DRTV.DB.July2015TV&utm_medium=DRTV&utm_source=offline&utm_campaign=July2015TV

They also have various added-price add-on packages to add additional channels beyond their basic package, including options for:

--HBO Live for an extra $15 per month.

--a bunch of extra sports channels, mostly not great, for an extra $5 per month

--and quite a few other $5 extra packages, including for news, Spanish language, kids channels, etc etc.

I use the SlingBox option, that is great if you have access to cable service in USA. In my case, the service is at my mother's house. I keep a room there for when I am in USA. I pay for the cable box in that room and have the SlingBox connected to that one.

The downsides to the SlingBox:

1) You need cable service + a cable box at the source end
2) Only one user can be logged into the SlingBox at a time

3) Whatever television is connected to the cable box will see whatever channel is being viewed over the SlingBox

4) The SlingBox serivce is a bit fussy about bandwidth...but I have been able to use it successfully in several countries.

To me, the SlingBox is the way to go, provided you have access to cable service on the source end.

When Mom goes on to the next life, I suppose I will move the SlingBox to my sister's house.

For Kodi, IPTV Stalker 80$/yr isn't too much, but why pay a dodgy organisation? Use the free IPTV stalker fix.

Another Kodi addon with lots of free channels and a better donation based system only if you want to is Zeus.

Mainly because they are paying to provide the service. And you are probably using the MAC address of someone who has already paid and screwing up their viewing. Not nice.

It seems Zeus are switching their best channels to a paid service also.

http://koditips.com/zeus-video-paid-service-revealed/

other than youtube are there sites that have Top Gear (UK) and MythBusters, Wheeler Dealers etc

at one time Justin.TV had them but gone now

You can get Top Gear and Wheeler Dealers on "Filmon" channels "Dave" and "Quest"

Mythbusters isn't quite the same after they removed Kari,Grant and Tory but still available in the bay of pirates.

If you're non techie the idea of flashing and configuring routers probably isn't an option. But you can buy preconfigured routers for a VPN/DNS service, then the network in your home will like like wherever you want it to be. Flashrouters & Astrill are two providers that come to mind, there are more.

At that point you can do anything on your PC that you would at home, or you can then use Roku and/or Apple TV boxes to watch on a real TV.

For non-techie folks, indeed, configuring routers isn't such a great option.

Some of the DNS redirect services are pretty simple. If someone knows how to access their router settings, you just open those and replace the default DNS number/address with the DNS address that your service gives you. And then log into your account with them on the web.

That should enable streaming from the websites (which isn't necessarily a live broadcast feed, it often is just past shows streamed VOD) of whatever U.S. channels/networks are supported by the service you're using (note, different DNS services can support different channels/networks).

However, even that has its pitfalls, especially for True Online customers. Because True uses what's called an invisible proxy in its internet service, a lot of the DNS redirect services just won't work with True Online. Though, AFAIK, other Thai ISPs don't seem to have that same issue with DNS re-directs.

As for the preconfigured VPN routers, I've used one of those from the Astrill VPN service you mention. In my case, the instructions that came with it simply didn't work. And when I contacted their support, they sent me an entirely different set of setup instructions apart from the ones that came in the package. Not good.

Eventually, I did get it working. But it's gotten more complicated now that most Thai ISPs are providing their customers with combo modem-routers instead of just the older traditional cable modem. Now, if you've got a combo router-modem from your ISP, you have to turn off DHCP on the ISPs router-modem and enable it on the Astril router -- things that again, aren't especially fun for the non-techies among us. That's because you're stringing two routers together now, and you don't want them conflicting with each other.

Then if you succeed at all that, the Astrill VPN router gives you a single, pre-set by you, VPN IP address in the location you want, such as the U.S. But that then becomes the IP location for your entire house wifi network. And if you want to change to a different DNS location or even revert to just a local Thai IP, you have to log into the router via a web browser interface and turn it off or change the VPN server location.

Examples: Let's say you've used the VPN router to give you a U.S. IP address for your entire home wifi setup, and then you decide you want to watch USTVNow. Ooopps... can't do it, since USTVNow is blocked from service to U.S. IPs. Same thing for watching ILikeHD, which AFAIK requires you have to have a Thai IP address. In either case, you're going to have to log-into your VPN router and turn off or change the server location. Every single time, and it's a pain!

For me, it became a bit cumbersome, even though I could use the Astrill router to access US content on my Roku box, which required a network provided US IP address, since the box itself has no built-in DNS or VPN capability. And even after all that, in terms of major U.S. TV networks, the Roku box pretty much just allows streaming of the same shows that are already available via the major networks' websites. For the most part, it doesn't enable live feed, ongoing streaming from most major networks -- unlike services like USTVNow and SlingTV, which do exactly that.

So for now, the Astrill router and my Roku box are sitting pretty much unused. And I'm continuing to simply rely on a Windows laptop TV that's directly connected to my TV via an HDMI cable. And then, running Astrill's VPN application on my PC, where it's easy to turn on or turn off the service, or change the server location, just with a couple clicks of the mouse. And then it's easy to switch from a U.S. IP for Netflix to a Thai IP for ILikeHD to a UK IP for one of the BBC networks, etc etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Any problem bringing a router from the States to do this or am I better advised to buy one in Thailand? The instructions are written in English if I buy it in the states :)

For non-techie folks, indeed, configuring routers isn't such a great option.

Some of the DNS redirect services are pretty simple. If someone knows how to access their router settings, you just open those and replace the default DNS number/address with the DNS address that your service gives you. And then log into your account with them on the web.

That should enable streaming from the websites (which isn't necessarily a live broadcast feed, it often is just past shows streamed VOD) of whatever U.S. channels/networks are supported by the service you're using (note, different DNS services can support different channels/networks).

However, even that has its pitfalls, especially for True Online customers. Because True uses what's called an invisible proxy in its internet service, a lot of the DNS redirect services just won't work with True Online. Though, AFAIK, other Thai ISPs don't seem to have that same issue with DNS re-directs.

As for the preconfigured VPN routers, I've used one of those from the Astrill VPN service you mention. In my case, the instructions that came with it simply didn't work. And when I contacted their support, they sent me an entirely different set of setup instructions apart from the ones that came in the package. Not good.

Eventually, I did get it working. But it's gotten more complicated now that most Thai ISPs are providing their customers with combo modem-routers instead of just the older traditional cable modem. Now, if you've got a combo router-modem from your ISP, you have to turn off DHCP on the ISPs router-modem and enable it on the Astril router -- things that again, aren't especially fun for the non-techies among us. That's because you're stringing two routers together now, and you don't want them conflicting with each other.

Then if you succeed at all that, the Astrill VPN router gives you a single, pre-set by you, VPN IP address in the location you want, such as the U.S. But that then becomes the IP location for your entire house wifi network. And if you want to change to a different DNS location or even revert to just a local Thai IP, you have to log into the router via a web browser interface and turn it off or change the VPN server location.

Examples: Let's say you've used the VPN router to give you a U.S. IP address for your entire home wifi setup, and then you decide you want to watch USTVNow. Ooopps... can't do it, since USTVNow is blocked from service to U.S. IPs. Same thing for watching ILikeHD, which AFAIK requires you have to have a Thai IP address. In either case, you're going to have to log-into your VPN router and turn off or change the server location. Every single time, and it's a pain!

For me, it became a bit cumbersome, even though I could use the Astrill router to access US content on my Roku box, which required a network provided US IP address, since the box itself has no built-in DNS or VPN capability. And even after all that, in terms of major U.S. TV networks, the Roku box pretty much just allows streaming of the same shows that are already available via the major networks' websites. For the most part, it doesn't enable live feed, ongoing streaming from most major networks -- unlike services like USTVNow and SlingTV, which do exactly that.

So for now, the Astrill router and my Roku box are sitting pretty much unused. And I'm continuing to simply rely on a Windows laptop TV that's directly connected to my TV via an HDMI cable. And then, running Astrill's VPN application on my PC, where it's easy to turn on or turn off the service, or change the server location, just with a couple clicks of the mouse. And then it's easy to switch from a U.S. IP for Netflix to a Thai IP for ILikeHD to a UK IP for one of the BBC networks, etc etc.