Pajero Gear(?) Issue - ?

SoloFlyer

Morning,

Twice this week I've had an issue where tapping the accelerator has resulted in nothing but revving.

First time I was doing a U-Turn in a dirt parking lot, thought maybe the wheels were slipping in a hole or something. Reversing a bit, then back to D fixed that.

But yesterday in slow traffic it was there again. Accelated, but only revving. Quick change to N and back to D fixed it.

So whats likely up?? Will get to Mitsu ASAP but would like some info first. BTW, just had the 120k service.

I have exactly the same situation with my 15 year old Benz, but it only happens 1-2 times a year (knock on wood!), so I can live with it.

It only happens from a stand still, not when it's in motion.

It's now at 200,000 km and I think it started doing it at around 150,000 km.

I think, it's difficult to diagnose, unless it happens all the time.

PS! About every 3 years the gear stick becomes loose and a "plastic split" has to be changed.

One possibility if your PJS has paddle shifters, bumping one will select manual mode. This will change the D symbol on the dash display to the gear selected. Next time it occurs, check the display.

If selecting D makes the problem go away, it may be a crook sensor rather than ATF related.

If you ask a Mitsu dealer to check it, make sure they have the diagnostic computer to check the fault codes. Not all Mitsu dealers have them.