UK Visit Visa application

My wife has made two previous visits, with me, to see my parents in the UK and on both occasions we have submitted numerous photo's to evidence our relationship. On reading the guidance notes this time I see that photo's, other than the 2 head shots for the actual application, are in the list of items which should NOT be included with the application. Have the requirements changed or did I just not notice in the past. I believe I originally included them on the basis of the advice received on this forum, but of course the post I refer to is now several years old and possibly out of date.

I have to say I can't find any guidance to say that photos to support your application shouldn't be submitted, maybe you could provide a link.

The pinned topic is being revised, whilst there have been some changes the basics are still accurate.

I would still submit photos as part of an application, my partner did so recently. Obviously photos are only a very small part of the application and should be used to indicate that you've actually met over a period of time, care should be taken not to overwhelm the ECO with too many photos, my partner submitted less than ten on her recent application and was indicative of our eight years together.

As you both live in Thailand you will have many ways of proving your life here and thus her reason to return.

Its in here....https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423699/2015_04_20_Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_Final__2__-_CLEAN.pdf

Section 4: documents you should not send unless specifically requested This page provides guidance on the types of documents that are not required to consider your application

 if you are applying as a family/group you do not need to provide multiple copies of the same documents

 bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application

 driving licence

 photographs (other than passport photographs required in section 1)

• Like 1

I have to say I can't find any guidance to say that photos to support your application shouldn't be submitted, maybe you could provide a link.

The pinned topic is being revised, whilst there have been some changes the basics are still accurate.

I would still submit photos as part of an application, my partner did so recently. Obviously photos are only a very small part of the application and should be used to indicate that you've actually met over a period of time, care should be taken not to overwhelm the ECO with too many photos, my partner submitted less than ten on her recent application and was indicative of our eight years together.

As you both live in Thailand you will have many ways of proving your life here and thus her reason to return.

It seems to me as though they are trying to cut down on the volume of paperwork they are handling thus asking people to exclude what they consider to be unnecessary. The last thing I want to do is submit too much and get turned down because they get fed up wading through reams of non-essential detail. The guidance structure seems to make it pretty clear what they don't want and I was wondering about other members recent experiences.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423699/2015_04_20_Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_Final__2__-_CLEAN.pdf

• Structure of this guidance

Section 1 documents you must provide with all visit applications.

Section 2 suggested documents that you might want to provide in order to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of Appendix V: Immigration Rules for Visitors.

Section 3 additional documents for specific types of visitor:

academics coming to undertake research (12 month visa)

family accompanying academic coming to undertake research (12 month visa) private medical treatment

organ donors

prospective Entrepreneur

work related training

performers at permit free festivals

Approved Destination Scheme

Permitted paid engagements

visitor (marriage/Civil partnership)

transit

Section 4 documents that you should not send in support of your application

Section 4: documents you should not send unless

specifically requested

This page provides guidance on the types of documents that are not required to consider your application.

if you are applying as a family/group you do not need to provide multiple copies of the same documents

bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application

driving licence

photographs (other than passport photographs required in section 1)

notarial certificates

business cards

hotel bookings

flight bookings

photocopies of bank cards

credit card statements

certificates relating to leisure activities

Whilst photographs can be useful to establish that sponsor and applicant have met, I have never believed them to be essential and always advised that if they are provided, then 20 max.

In your case, you are married and your wife has had two UK visit visas before.

Therefore the ECOs have previously accepted that your relationship is genuine and subsisting; why would they deny it now?

Forget the photos, they are not required in your situation.

• Like 1

Whilst photographs can be useful to establish that sponsor and applicant have met, I have never believed them to be essential and always advised that if they are provided, then 20 max.

In your case, you are married and your wife has had two UK visit visas before.

Therefore the ECOs have previously accepted that your relationship is genuine and subsisting; why would they deny it now?

Forget the photos, they are not required in your situation.

Thank you 7by7, I believe it was your informative post which helped gain the first visa 3 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to read that advice guide! Not seen it before.

I think it is just another example of a poorly worded document. Most visa types do not require photographs other than the required ones. Visas that involve providing evidence of a relationship do not fall into this category. If an applicant is claiming a relationship with a settled person then a few well documented photos help confirm the case.

A massive file of random photos and a detailed life history in 20 chapters must be an ECO's worst nightmare!