More scrutiny for foreigners applying for gun permits in Bangkok

Arkady

Arkady's posts are very informative and helpful. In respect of the requirements in Bangkok for a Por 3 permit to buy, there is however one further and very important document that is needed for civilian Thai and foreign applicants alike, namely a character reference, so the list of requirements should include:

Copy of passport

Copy of work permit

Copy of tabien baan (issued at least 6 months earlier)

Letter from employer confirming starting date, position and monthly salary

Copy of savings account book or bank statement (showing at least B50k balance)

Copy of alien book (for PRs)

Copy of residence book (for PRs)

Finger print set

Document attesting to applicant's good character

Applications under the 'Sporting Purposes' basis also need proof of membership / good standing at a gun club (applicant to have been a member for at least 60 days at time of application) and, for certain calibres (e.g. .45, .357 but not 9 mm), some evidence of attendance at a training course.

The character reference is on a form which can be obtained from the DOPA licensing office at Wang Chaiya. It has to be signed by a government official of rank C-7 or higher, or a serving police or military officer of rank Lt-Col (or RTN/RTAF equivalent) or above; the signatory also has to provide a copy of their government or military ID.

The processing time for a Por 3 application is officially 45 working days. Once a Por 3 is issued and the applicant has found the required weapon at a gun shop and agreed the purchase price, the gun shop will then apply for the Por 4 ownership permit for that specific weapon. The time to issue a Por 4 appears to vary but anecdotally can take from around 1-2 weeks to a month or more. It's possibly a good idea to put down a deposit payment rather than the full amount while waiting for the Por 4 to be processed, since the gun shop then has more reason to follow up on behalf of the purchaser.

• 8 months later...
On 5/24/2016 at 4:53 PM, BKKBike09 said:

Arkady's posts are very informative and helpful. In respect of the requirements in Bangkok for a Por 3 permit to buy, there is however one further and very important document that is needed for civilian Thai and foreign applicants alike, namely a character reference, so the list of requirements should include:

Copy of passport

Copy of work permit

Copy of tabien baan (issued at least 6 months earlier)

Letter from employer confirming starting date, position and monthly salary

Copy of savings account book or bank statement (showing at least B50k balance)

Copy of alien book (for PRs)

Copy of residence book (for PRs)

Finger print set

Document attesting to applicant's good character

Applications under the 'Sporting Purposes' basis also need proof of membership / good standing at a gun club (applicant to have been a member for at least 60 days at time of application) and, for certain calibres (e.g. .45, .357 but not 9 mm), some evidence of attendance at a training course.

The character reference is on a form which can be obtained from the DOPA licensing office at Wang Chaiya. It has to be signed by a government official of rank C-7 or higher, or a serving police or military officer of rank Lt-Col (or RTN/RTAF equivalent) or above; the signatory also has to provide a copy of their government or military ID.

The processing time for a Por 3 application is officially 45 working days. Once a Por 3 is issued and the applicant has found the required weapon at a gun shop and agreed the purchase price, the gun shop will then apply for the Por 4 ownership permit for that specific weapon. The time to issue a Por 4 appears to vary but anecdotally can take from around 1-2 weeks to a month or more. It's possibly a good idea to put down a deposit payment rather than the full amount while waiting for the Por 4 to be processed, since the gun shop then has more reason to follow up on behalf of the purchaser.

This is all correct except that the character reference is not required, if you already have a Por 4 permit and submit a copy of it with your application. This requirement seems to have changed since I got my first permit in the late 90s. At that time I had to go for an interview at the local police station with plain clothed officers and they asked questions like had I received any death threats or was in dispute with anyone. I don't think I needed a reference from a C-7 or higher although it is possible that they forwarded to a Pol Lt Col for signature before I picked it up.  I don't remember looking at the document in detail.  Since then I have never been asked for a character reference for further purchases.

• 7 months later...

The logical progression of this trend of greater scrutiny of foreigners' applications for Por 3 gun permits that started in 2014 after the coup is that the NLA approved yesterday the third and final reading of the Firearms Act to amend the 1947 Act.  One of the new amendments specifies Thai nationality as one of the requirements to apply for a gun permit.  This will become law when the new Act is published in the  Royal Gazette in 90 days time.  It should have no impact on existing permits held by foreigners. 

It is not clear whether the Bangkok registrar will consider pending or new applications by foreigners in the interim.  Since the full process to the final Por 4 permit usually takes 6-10 weeks, putting in a new application at this point may be a bit of a long shot.  If anyone is interested, there is no harm in asking at the Wang Chaiya registry.  They can only say no.

This may only apply to foreign residents of Bangkok, since I am unaware of any provinces that have been issuing permits to foreigners in recent years.   

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1006683-stricter-controls-over-firearms-fireworks-and-explosives/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-12356459