border officer counting numbers of visas and taking notes

What's with the reference to USA..Did you run out of time there also? Every country has the right to set their imm rules. Thailand has some of the most generous immigration laws. You mention Vietnam. Yes I love it. Go there every 6 or 7 weeks. Vietnam does not have visa exempt for most countries nor does Cambodia or loas .

Your point??

Vietnam very easy though. You can just fill out an online application with an approved service agency (& pay, via Paypal if you like) and receive a "visa approval letter" within a couple of days. Compare that to having to mail off your passport to and wait two weeks for a Thai consulate or Embassy, plus mailing time. And 90-days, multi-entry is available. (Extensions available in-country, for up to 90 days more I believe.) But no, no Visa Exempt program, that's true (well, there is by name, but it's for foreigners who marry Vietnamese girls).

So if it's NOT to limit the numbers of TR visas, please tell me why they are counting.

Sorry I just can't see any other reason.

Probably for the same reason they count visa exempt entries. Trying to find/deter illegal working.

6 visa exempt entries = interview about what they are doing when in the country. Not a limit or an automatic refusal to enter.

I reckon they could be doing the same with TR entries. x TR's and the IO is expected to consider the person more closely.

Sorry but you are naive.

Illegal working in Thailand makes A LOT of money to many immigration officers and they are not likely to kill the golden goose anytime soon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854498-thai-immigration-chief-warned-he-might-face-the-chop/

Ok Mr K now I'm confused. You were saying that you believe it's to limit the numbers, but now your saying that due to the income from corruption that they wouldn't want to limit numbers.

I'm sticking with my theory until when or if we know the official line.

It's MISS K, not Mr (not that it matters, but let's be clear)smile.png

I'm saying that they certainly want to limit the numbers of TR visas since they are counting.

But the reason why, IMO, is not because they want to crack down on illegal work like you think. ...

If that was the case they would lose a lot of tea money - from illegal Cambodians being smuggled against brides, Farangs working without a permit 12-15k a head to magically transform a tourist visa into non B, erasing overstay, allowing fake ED visa, selling tormor 6 to latians and vietnameses to work illegally and others delights ...

That is paying more than their own salary,making their families live, paying their rent, their school's kids,etc so I don't think they want to get rid of that, despite Prayuth's announcements. You see the pay of a policeman is ridiculously low and it's almost impossible to survive without illegal side activities. No one is going to give them a raise or proper training, so it will go on.

Edited by Kitsune

So if it's NOT to limit the numbers of TR visas, please tell me why they are counting.

Could it be to do with the 6 month TR visa that was announced last month? Perhaps some IO's have been told to note how many people are making multiple entries via tourist visa in order to estimate demand for the new, multi-entry TR. I have no evidence to support this theory, but it is as good a guess as any.

New six month TR visa

I'm not going to get into guessing games.....however your theory would be more solid if it was being done across the board. Of the many many people entering we have this one report.

Interesting that your "idea" would make it more easy for people to obtain TV and the post you include predicts TVs becoming more difficult.

Any other theories out there. Maybe we could run a betting book for interest.

You haven't read the thread.

There are TWO, not one, separate reports of the same situation of border officer counting visas at NK.

Edited by Kitsune

Sorry but you are naive.

Illegal working in Thailand makes A LOT of money to many immigration officers and they are not likely to kill the golden goose anytime soon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854498-thai-immigration-chief-warned-he-might-face-the-chop/

Ok Mr K now I'm confused. You were saying that you believe it's to limit the numbers, but now your saying that due to the income from corruption that they wouldn't want to limit numbers.

I'm saying that they certainly want to limit the numbers of TR visas since they are counting.

But the reason why, IMO, is not because they want to crack down on illegal work like you think. ...

If that was the case they would lose a lot of tea money - from illegal Cambodians being smuggled against brides, Farangs working without a permit 12-15k a head to magically transform a tourist visa into non B, erasing overstay, allowing fake ED visa, selling tormor 6 to latians and vietnameses to work illegally and others delights ...

That is paying more than their own salary,making their families live, paying their rent, their school's kids,etc so I don't think they want to get rid of that, despite Prayuth's announcements. You see the pay of a policeman is ridiculously low and it's almost impossible to survive without illegal side activities. No one is going to give them a raise or proper training, so it will go on.

My apologies Miss K. I made a baseless assumption. wai.gif

I understand and agree that corruption exists and that IO's subsidise their income with "tea money'. But surely the decision and order to count comes from the top brass.

They already count visa exempt entries and even people with 6+ (magic number) are not automatically denied entry. That seems like a fairly good comparison to what might happen with TRs's and I can't think of one logical reason why the top brass would want a blanket limit/restriction on TR entries.

You're entitled to your opinion about illegal workers but since 2006 the top brass have used several restrictions to make it harder for illegal workers that mostly use visa exemption and I see counting TR's as a logical extension of that policy.

Could it be to do with the 6 month TR visa that was announced last month? Perhaps some IO's have been told to note how many people are making multiple entries via tourist visa in order to estimate demand for the new, multi-entry TR. I have no evidence to support this theory, but it is as good a guess as any.

New six month TR visa

Yes that would make more sense.

Sorry but you are naive.

My apologies Miss K. I made a baseless assumption. wai.gif

I understand and agree that corruption exists and that IO's subsidise their income with "tea money'. But surely the decision and order to count comes from the top brass.

They already count visa exempt entries and even people with 6+ (magic number) are not automatically denied entry. That seems like a fairly good comparison to what might happen with TRs's and I can't think of one logical reason why the top brass would want a blanket limit/restriction on TR entries.

You're entitled to your opinion about illegal workers but since 2006 the top brass have used several restrictions to make it harder for illegal workers that mostly use visa exemption and I see counting TR's as a logical extension of that policy.

Just to be clear when I talk about a crack down on illegal workers since 2006 that has nothing to do with Cambodian/Myanmar workers. That's a whole different ball game. None of those workers will be using visa exempt entries or tourist visas.

Prior to 2006 thousands of foreigners (farangs) lived and worked here without visas. They would exit/entry every 30 days with ease. Thai authorities then decided to tackle the problem and instigated the 90/180 rule to put pressure on people get visas and become legit, which many did. If the many people I know that were forced to go legit or leave is anything to go by I can confirm the campaign achieved exactly what was intended. They then introduced the 15 day limit to make it even harder. Recently they've added the 6 visa entry count and the questions asked are always about working.

Obviously many people moved to tourist visas but continued working. So it makes perfect sense that they moved on to TR's and is why Vientiane brought in the 3/4 TR's rule. IMO the reports we have read of TR counting are the start of a campaign on TR's and I believe it's solely as a trigger to question people harder after x TR visas in exactly the same they do with visa exempt entry. It's possible that it's a policy limited to certain borders, or just Nong Khai, but only time will tell if it's national and more importantly anything to worry about.

Prior to 2006 thousands of foreigners (farangs) lived and worked here without visas. They would exit/entry every 30 days with ease. Thai authorities then decided to tackle the problem and instigated the 90/180 rule to put pressure on people get visas and become legit, which many did. If the many people I know that were forced to go legit or leave is anything to go by I can confirm the campaign achieved exactly what was intended. They then introduced the 15 day limit to make it even harder. Recently they've added the 6 visa entry count and the questions asked are always about working.

Obviously many people moved to tourist visas but continued working. So it makes perfect sense that they moved on to TR's and is why Vientiane brought in the 3/4 TR's rule. IMO the reports we have read of TR counting are the start of a campaign on TR's and I believe it's solely as a trigger to question people harder after x TR visas in exactly the same they do with visa exempt entry. It's possible that it's a policy limited to certain borders, or just Nong Khai, but only time will tell if it's national and more importantly anything to worry about.

From what I understand the most effective "crackdown" to visa exempt entries came in 2014. Around the same time 30 days visa exempt entry was restored for G7 countries citizens, while much earlier the 90/180 rule was repelled:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

Meanwhile this flux of changes I can't recall a change in policy by the Thai consulates in Laos., except that Savannaket made things easier if anything.

So, as noted before the "6 entries count" is merely an automated warning, unpublished in regulations routinely overridden by officers. A bit like immigration saying: "I'll do what I thinkis right notwithstanding the lack of official regulations".

All that to say I do not see any visibly coherent approach by Thai authorities.

Edited by paz

As mentioned many times....there is no limit on tourist visas. You many need to apply for new ones at different consulates, but you will not be refused entry with a genuine visa.

Not currently entirely true. See the thread on what's happening at the Cambo checkpoints to (among others) tourists with multi-entry TVs (if you don't mind wading your way through the smug, pointy-headed, "be-like-me's" who're glibly passing sentence there on those THEY deem "un-tourists").

Edited by hawker9000

In theory and in law, there is indeed no numerical limit to the number of times a tourist may be granted a visa and admission to the Kingdom, as long as the tourist is able, when challenged, to dispel a respective official's suspicion that he may be working illegally in Thailand.

In practice, we have today immigration officers at some land border checkpoints who verbally refuse entry to all travellers, both visa-exempt and with a visa, in defiance of orders from their superiors. There has been no report yet of such refusal in writing, ie with a corresponding stamp in the passport with indication of the section of the Immigration Act used as the reason for the refusal. How long this charade will last remains to be seen.

• Like 1

In theory and in law, there is indeed no numerical limit to the number of times a tourist may be granted a visa and admission to the Kingdom, as long as the tourist is able, when challenged, to dispel a respective official's suspicion that he may be working illegally in Thailand.

In practice, we have today immigration officers at some land border checkpoints who verbally refuse entry to all travellers, both visa-exempt and with a visa, in defiance of orders from their superiors. There has been no report yet of such refusal in writing, ie with a corresponding stamp in the passport with indication of the section of the Immigration Act used as the reason for the refusal. How long this charade will last remains to be seen.

...more of a childish hissy fit IMO than a charade...

As mentioned many times....there is no limit on tourist visas. You many need to apply for new ones at different consulates, but you will not be refused entry with a genuine visa.

Not currently entirely true. See the thread on what's happening at the Cambo checkpoints to (among others) tourists with multi-entry TVs (if you don't mind wading your way through the smug, pointy-headed, "be-like-me's" who're glibly passing sentence there on those THEY deem "un-tourists").

Glad you can understand what you posted. In any event can you point to refusal of entry with a tourist visa?

Glad you can understand what you posted. In any event can you point to refusal of entry with a tourist visa?

We have today immigration officers at some land border checkpoints who verbally refuse entry to all travellers, both visa-exempt and with a visa.

We have today immigration officers at some land border checkpoints who verbally refuse entry to all travellers, both visa-exempt and with a visa.

Now get ready for 'Ah, but they won't be bona fide tourists' or some other similar flapdoodle. There are none so blind that won't see...