NRC votes No against draft charter

Lite Beer

NRC votes No against draft charter

BANGKOK: -- The National Reforom Council on Sunday shot down the draft charter.

The unofficial counting saw 134 NRC members vote against while 105 agree with the draft submitted by the Constitution Draft Committee.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/NRC-votes-No-against-draft-charter-Sunday-30268233.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEW CONSTITUTION
NRC votes down draft charter Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The National Reform Council (NRC) on Sunday killed the draft of the country's 20th Constitution.

The unofficial counting saw 134 of 247 NRC members voted against while 105 supported the draft submitted by the Constitution Drafting Committee. Seven members abstained.

Most of those who voted down were military, police, and politicians. The NRC will be dissolved tonight.

The decision means there would be no referendum initially set for January next year and delay of the national election that would be held in September next year if the draft passes.

Now the draft was shot down, the National Council for Peace and Order will appoint new 21 charter drafters within 30 days to re-write the charter. The drafters will have 180 days to write the new draft.

The voting on the draft was conducted openly with each NRC member casting his or her vote verbally. No discussions or explanations regarding either the draft or the vote would be permitted.

To approve the draft, it requires simple majority or 124 votes out of the total 247 members. The official result of the NRC vote would be known about two hours.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NRC-votes-down-draft-charter-Sunday-30268234.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

This could be the result the PM wanted.

No doubt... another 2 years to "sort the country out", is what this means...

No Election collection,.... no matter which party wanna rule the country, the opposition leaders shot themselves AND the innocent bystanders of Thailand in the foot 44444444EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wai2.gifwai2.gif

That's what they WE get for terrorizing each other in the past clap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by MaxLee

So now what? Despite publicly stating he was for the Charter I wouldn't be surprised if this is what the PM really wanted, a furtherance of the status quo with him at the helm.

Yes, but still it is kicking the can down the road. People's patience is finite and once they feel they are simply having the p!ss taken out of them...

So now what? Despite publicly stating he was for the Charter I wouldn't be surprised if this is what the PM really wanted, a furtherance of the status quo with him at the helm.

Yes, but still it is kicking the can down the road. People's patience is finite and once they feel they are simply having the p!ss taken out of them...

Oh I think they've had that feeling for a while now...

Win-win for the junta.

Just keep presenting the same unacceptable Charter formula until it's finally accepted............or...........it isn't.

Either way the military stay in power whether overtly or covertly......................

Edited by Always18

Thaworn says draft rejection not surprising
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thaworn Senneam, deputy chairman of People's Democratic Reform Foundation (PDRF), said he was not surprised with the rejection of the charter draft by the National Reform Council (NRC).

He urged Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to immediately follow the reform proposals suggested by the NRC. It's not necessary to wait for a new council to drive reform to be set up as the premier has full authority and budget to do that, he said.

"I and the foundation will monitor the path to reform [by the government]. Our whistles are now on the shelf," he said in an interview on Nation TV.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thaworn-says-draft-rejection-not-surprising-30268237.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

The junta would still have maintained power, given the clause legitimising their being able to step in at any time during any elected government's tenure if said government were to do anything they didn't like, thus creating for a state within a state ad infinitum. At least this way voices against this preposterous

constitution' have been raised, causing the junta to have to eliminate any such similar clause in any re-draft. Hobson's Choice.

Edited by dageurreotype

In a way I wish they had voted it in. Then when the referendum was held, let the people vote it down, preferably with a very strong majority. Now that would have sent a strong message to these clowns.

So now we are saddled with this junta for the forseeable future, with no end in sight. Not good for the future of Thailand. Plus one has to wonder how much longer people will be willing to be told what to do, say and think by these out of touch with the real world military types.

My guess is that things will start to heat up now with more and more people/groups defying the junta's gag orders. And what will the wild card in Dubai do now?

Write another charter? Why bother. Look how long this one lasted and all the time, effort and expense involved. Just bring back the 1997 charter, amend whatever needs amending and let the people decide. Just this time do not tack on a crisis council or any other blatantly undemocratic clauses.

National Reform Council votes down draft charter

IMG_20150906_121211-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The draft constitution was voted down Sunday by the National Reform Council.
Altogether 135 NRC members voted to reject the draft against 105 who voted in support. Seven members abstained from voting.

Passage of the draft requires at least 124 votes out of 247 members of the NRC.

For the next step from now, the National Council for Peace and Order will set up a 21-member Constitution Drafting Committee within 30 days. The committee will have to come up with a new draft within 180 days or six months.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/national-reform-council-votes-down-draft-charter

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-06

The junta would still have maintained power, given the clause legitimising their being able to step in at any time during any elected government's tenure if said government were to do anything they didn't like, thus creating for a state within a state ad infinitum. At least this way voices against this preposterous

constitution' have been raised, causing the junta to have to eliminate any such similar clause in any re-draft. Hobson's Choice.

Good point. At least now they cannot remain in power covertly and will have to be seen as what they are.

With all the crap that has gone on from quick solutions this is a brath of fresh air.

They now need to canvass the NRC that voted no and find out what they liked and what they did not like.

Then start from there.

I would much rather for Thailand's sake see 3 or 4 drafts go and get rejected and the vote required be 90% instead of 50 +1. That way there will be one that everyone enjoys and it would have a better chance to acceptance by the people.

I also think that it might not be a bad idea to include 1 rep from all the concerned parties ie DEM, PTT, UDD, PAD but only one

Win-win for the junta.

Just keep presenting the same unacceptable Charter formula until it's finally accepted............or...........it isn't.

See what I mean?

No no! It's not a turd at all, it's a piece of gold.

We meant to do it.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

I guess we are in for more fireside chats on TV. Oh happy day.

Win-win for the junta.

See what I mean?

No no! It's not a turd at all, it's a piece of gold.

We meant to do it.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

I guess we are in for more fireside chats on TV. Oh happy day.
Yes a truly happy day. I will close my TV app now and go for a ride on my bike. Have fun getting excited behind a screen.

If we could know the percentage of military nrc members who voted no, it would be a relatively reliable way to test this assumption.

If we could know the percentage of military nrc members who voted no, it would be a relatively reliable way to test this assumption.

Trend clear. Soldiers in council voting against charter.

Trend clear. Soldiers in council voting against charter.

It could be Mr P didn't expect it would get through a referendum and wanted another bite at the cherry.

And/or a bit longer at the helm... though I suspect he really needs divine intervention to save him.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

....................having the p!ss taken out of them... ???

And then what Babs ? You keep making these subtle suggestions about something happening without ever revealing what it is. Be careful what you wish for. thumbsup.gif

Sounds like the PM and his crew are going to be around for a long time ! They won't have to worry about disbanding the reds and their employers, they will have died of old age by the time elections are held ! cheesy.gif