MG Cars in Thailand

gandalf12

I remember the MG-B and MG-C they were good cars. THe new one here in Thailand is not expensive at Bht 1,038,000 with sun roof, reversing camera paddle gear change. Looks good but if there are problems with them I will buy a Honda. Thanks for your input I appreciat it

I used to have a MG.B. It was a nightmare. Every time the patient AA man turned up in the street to sort out yet another problem he would greet me with....."Oh, it's you again!" Hope the Chinese version is a lot better than that!

Everything electrical was a nightmare. One of the first things to go was the overdrive. It was so problematic that I gave up on it! Was lucky to find a buyer and settled for a VW Golf instead. The GTI was a dream.

typical BMC electrics...my mini was the same. I should have ditched the electronic ignition and electric fuel pump (aftermarket add-ons). A constant source of problems. It went like stink though and I once topped it out at 100 mph. Worse economy they my current swift though:)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a slight correction for multiple posters....

These new MG's are not made in China - they're made in Thailand, under a joint venture between SAIC and CP Group (the co. that runs 7/11, and almost everything else)

As a former MGB GT owner, these new cars are not "MG"s.

100mph in a 17 yr old MGB GT on the M1. Lucky all 3 lanes were empty of traffic laugh.png

Yeh, I had a '64 Roadster...........110mph was a handful but great fun..thumbsup.gif

I often wondered what the MGB V8 was like, never drove one, did drive a Triumph TR8 and it was crap........sad.png

The V8 made it a great car, but still a bit scary at speed on poor road surfaces.

@Transam

OK right. I didn't know about the fuel pump. Mine was a leyland mini with a 1275 moke engine put in it. Before I got it it had been bored to 1298. It got worn so I bored out to 1310cc with big cam, headers, shirt skirt pistons, good for 6500-7000 rpm. I had a side draft weber to put on it but couldn't afford to fix it and install. The single SU barely coped with it. The brakes were a nightmare lol The sweet spot for cruising was around 130 km/h. Miss that car but the original minis are too expensive in LoS.

@Transam

OK right. I didn't know about the fuel pump. Mine was a leyland mini with a 1275 moke engine put in it. Before I got it it had been bored to 1298. It got worn so I bored out to 1310cc with big cam, headers, shirt skirt pistons, good for 6500-7000 rpm. I had a side draft weber to put on it but couldn't afford to fix it and install. The single SU barely coped with it. The brakes were a nightmare lol The sweet spot for cruising was around 130 km/h. Miss that car but the original minis are too expensive in LoS.

Sounds cool. As you know all 'performance' BL cars had twin SU's, a single SU was a grocery getter....

Mine was pretty spartan...never even had a radio as all I could hear was the 2" exhaust anywaylaugh.png

Just a slight correction for multiple posters....

These new MG's are not made in China - they're made in Thailand, under a joint venture between SAIC and CP Group (the co. that runs 7/11, and almost everything else)

Assembled in Thailand from knock down kits made wholly in China by SAIC.

One may or may not consider that "Made in China".

Yes, CP Group do know a thing or two about running 7-11s and selling chicken. But producing, selling and servicing autos?

I was just looking at Thailand car sales for C class autos 2015, and here is what MG have sold so far this year in that class. From January to May of this year, they sold exactly 29 cars (they have not reported any data for June or July yet). That sort of makes me wonder whether they will still be around in a couple of years.

Edited by bubba

I remember the MG-B and MG-C they were good cars. THe new one here in Thailand is not expensive at Bht 1,038,000 with sun roof, reversing camera paddle gear change. Looks good but if there are problems with them I will buy a Honda. Thanks for your input I appreciat it

I used to have a MG.B. It was a nightmare. Every time the patient AA man turned up in the street to sort out yet another problem he would greet me with....."Oh, it's you again!" Hope the Chinese version is a lot better than that!

Everything electrical was a nightmare. One of the first things to go was the overdrive. It was so problematic that I gave up on it! Was lucky to find a buyer and settled for a VW Golf instead. The GTI was a dream.

typical BMC electrics...my mini was the same. I should have ditched the electronic ignition and electric fuel pump (aftermarket add-ons). A constant source of problems. It went like stink though and I once topped it out at 100 mph. Worse economy they my current swift though:)

Yes, I had an MGB and like you, the Lucas electricals fried. Regarding the electric fuel pump, wasn't it amazing that they decided to put that under the back shelf, just next to the fuel tank?

And what about that dual side draft Weber carburettor that you to balance constantly?

But even with all the headaches, wasn't it a pleasure?

I don't like the cars.. Looked at the MG6 at the motor show when they first came, last year I think.

Extremely poor interior for the money and just lacklustre overall. Maybe they have improved, I don't know. I do know that they seem to be building some very large regional showrooms. There is one being built near me in Nakhon Pathom. Huge place!

MGB never had Weber, S.U.s .

Thanks for that, Ace, and I stand corrected. I bought a 1970 MGB back in 1979, and it did indeed contain Weber DCOE side draft carbs. I tuned them many times and rebuilt it once (being a poor uni student with no shop money). All these years later, I still thought they were OE – until your post and I googled it. Seems that it was a conversion that a prior owner had done. And now I know, 36 years later....

S.U. was a very efficient carb,but needed attention,Weber once set being fixed jet were generally trouble free, but a "Must Have" back in the day.Had a B GT never a prob sept overdrive solenoids.Slow as hell though , nice cruiser for its time..........Memories............thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

I was immensely proud of my blue MGB GT. It is little,wonder, however, that the British motor industry disappeared down the drain. As I said before the electrics were a nightmare but I completely failed to mention the two replacement engines. I had to pay for the first one but the second came under warranty. Earlier I had a Triumph Vitesse convertible. Basically a Triumph Herald with a two litre engine and weird rear suspension that would jump around like a frightened rabbit. I don't think any of these cars was capable of 100 mph (fortunately) but the Vitesse was pretty fast and hugely dangerous.

• 9 months later...

I purchased an m g 5 in April this year,it's a nice drive and all round nice car,unfortunately I was informed when I bought it,it would do 15.9 k's per liter,when in reality it is only doing 10 k in town and 12 k on long journeys,I have discussed this with the dealer I purchased it from and they seem to have no interest in investigating the problem.I did pay cash for the car and that may have been a mistake,getting manuals in English is a nightmare,still waiting for an inkanet manual so unable to use sat nav etc.

The only English speaker in the garage is completely disinterested in anything beyond selling the vehicle.

"Advice do not pay cash,get manuals in English before purchase,and check what the actual kilometer per liter is,if your on a budget".

I purchased an m g 5 in April this year,it's a nice drive and all round nice car,unfortunately I was informed when I bought it,it would do 15.9 k's per liter,when in reality it is only doing 10 k in town and 12 k on long journeys,I have discussed this with the dealer I purchased it from and they seem to have no interest in investigating the problem.I did pay cash for the car and that may have been a mistake,getting manuals in English is a nightmare,still waiting for an inkanet manual so unable to use sat nav etc.

The only English speaker in the garage is completely disinterested in anything beyond selling the vehicle.

"Advice do not pay cash,get manuals in English before purchase,and check what the actual kilometer per liter is,if your on a budget".

That's about the same mileage as my 12 y.o 2.0 155hp civic. What engine does the mg5 have? Most other makes, such as mazda's skyactiv engine, are much more efficient and technologically advanced.

I drive many cars that are not mine, so if i need the Sat Nav i just call in at any big Radio/Gadget Shop n ask en to put the language to English then its easy... As For KPL they all go optimistic. One skinny driver, no passengers or full luggage,few liters of fuel etc,nice to see someone with the balls to get away from Honda/Toyo cars as his own Daily Ride, i haven't yet.thumbsup.gif

All the manufacturers' fuel consumption figures are rubbish. They are done in test conditions which bear no relation to actual road conditions. Most cars only get 60% of the claims. 10k in town sounds about right but on a run 12k is a bit low. With fuel at 25 baht a litre does it matter?

I have a two year old 2.0L Ford Focus and have measured my fuel consumption at about 18 kph on purely highway driving holding steady with cruise control at 110 kph on a flat road, no wind and just me in the car. It is really hard to evaluate city fuel consumption in BKK, as we often spend tedious hours of sitting in traffic going nowhere. With my last tank of only in-city driving, my average speed was 9 kph! For what it's worth, my fuel display shows that I am burning 1.4 litres per hour standing at idle.

I was personally advised not to but the mg gs by a car reviewer. The petrol consumption sucks, is slower than an x-trail hybrid, and the auto gearbox has the intelligence of a water bug. His words lol. Give MG 20 years, at least, to catch up the the current Japanese standard.