Who was really behind the Bangkok bombing?

webfact

Opinion:
Who Was Really Behind the Bangkok Bombing?

BY JOSHUA KURLANTZICK
Newsweek

BANGKOK: -- Over the past several days, Thai police have made arrests in the Erawan Shrine bombing case and publicly identified other suspects still at large.

Although after the bombing there were many theories about the culprits, the two men arrested and the suspects identified could have some link to Turkey or to the Uighurs.

One man arrested in a Bangkok suburb reportedly possessed hundreds of passports, including one identifying him as Turkish, though it remains unclear whether he is actually Turkish; another man arrested near Thailand’s eastern border also appears to be either Uighur or have links to the Uighurs and potentially to Turkey.

Thai media have identified the man arrested in eastern Thailand as Yusufu Mieraili, 25, from Xinjiang province. One of the identified suspects at large, a woman from southern Thailand, reportedly is now living in Turkey. Thai police also reportedly are looking for other suspects of Turkish nationality.

What is the connection between the suspects, Turkey, the Uighurs and violence in Thailand? Longtime Southeast Asia security analyst Anthony Davis, who writes for the Jane’s group of publications, was probably the first to speculate, last week, that Turkish nationalists could have committed the shrine attack as retribution for Thailand’s deportation of over 100 Uighurs to China in July; the shrine was popular with Chinese tourists.

Full story http://www.newsweek.com/who-was-really-behind-bangkok-bombing-368885

-- Newsweek 2015-09-07

Love the last line of that article: "At some point soon, the Thai government will have to be more forthright about the investigation if it wants Thais, and the international community, to trust the information it does release." Look at the Koh Tao murder, the threats against the media when the human trafficking story started to emerge, and all the les majeste cases. The government wants serious control of its people so release of real information is not likely to happen for a decade. Thailand wants to be an island in the modern world.

What is the connection between the suspects, Turkey, the Uighurs and violence in Thailand? Longtime Southeast Asia security analyst Anthony Davis, who writes for the Jane’s group of publications, was probably the first to speculate, last week, that Turkish nationalists could have committed the shrine attack as retribution for Thailand’s deportation of over 100 Uighurs to China in July; the shrine was popular with Chinese tourists.

I think people were suggesting this before the smoke even cleared.

Sure is flimsy, pure speculation,

Yesterday was the human trafficking payback angle, tomorrow presumably will be the southern Muslim extremists and Wednesday is scheduled for red shirts + cut outs (that's my personal favourite).

As long as we all agree to abide by Uncle Too's edict not to bandy around random theories in social media its gonna work out fine.

Come on already go ahead and torture the b'stards, Its the least they deserve.

I understand the soles of the feet and electricity leave the least visible damage for the cameras.

"Longtime Southeast Asia security analyst Anthony Davis, who writes for the Jane’s group of publications, was probably the first to speculate, last week, that Turkish nationalists could have committed the shrine attack as retribution for Thailand’s deportation of over 100 Uighurs to China in July; the shrine was popular with Chinese tourists."

No, I posted about the Uighur retaliation theory almost immediately after the attacks. I also located an article showing that 100,000 fake Turkish passports had been sent to Thailand and Malaysia by ISIL to assist Uighur militants to get from those countries to Istanbul, from where they would be allowed to travel to Syria to join ISIL. Later, we learned that immigration officers on the Cambodian border had been accepting bribes to allow Uighurs to pass through the border into Thailand without a passport. Sorry, Mr. Davis cannot be credited with any original thinking here. What still hasn't been publicized throughout the international media is that Thailand remains a hub for international trafficking of ISIL militants. More food for thought in Thailand trying to improve its Tier 3 relegation on the TIP report.

No one has discussed what is readily available to understand...who and what the uighurs are, who developed their positions, supported their activities, Tibet, radio free asia, 1 sect against another, the KKH, come on guys.

"... what is readily available to understand..."

Sorry, I don't understand so please spell it out (I love a good conspiracy theory with my morning coffee!).

"Longtime Southeast Asia security analyst Anthony Davis, who writes for the Jane’s group of publications, was probably the first to speculate, last week, that Turkish nationalists could have committed the shrine attack as retribution for Thailand’s deportation of over 100 Uighurs to China in July; the shrine was popular with Chinese tourists."

No, I posted about the Uighur retaliation theory almost immediately after the attacks. I also located an article showing that 100,000 fake Turkish passports had been sent to Thailand and Malaysia by ISIL to assist Uighur militants to get from those countries to Istanbul, from where they would be allowed to travel to Syria to join ISIL. Later, we learned that immigration officers on the Cambodian border had been accepting bribes to allow Uighurs to pass through the border into Thailand without a passport. Sorry, Mr. Davis cannot be credited with any original thinking here. What still hasn't been publicized throughout the international media is that Thailand remains a hub for international trafficking of ISIL militants. More food for thought in Thailand trying to improve its Tier 3 relegation on the TIP report.

I also , posted well before this guy although I have suggested links to grey wolfe Uighurs ,because of the Turkish embassy attack and deportation, it seems pretty obvious that it was Uighurs and the same lot involved in people smuggling and now Ya Ba as well.

There is no doubt of a turkish connection and I would not discount ISIS being involved as you say.

Also they investigated a media/ printing firm in Sukhomvit Rd after finding drums of precursers to amphetimine production the drums had been previously full of printing material, would they have been better off to investigate that firm for making passports/false documents than bomb material?

There used to be a place in Khao son Rd where people could go and get a passport or fake driver license made to order, aparently been operating for years, just as the Sa Kaew border has been trafficking people through its gates for years. Mai Pben Rai.

Oh but they fixed that problem and the Min Buri jail problem as well by transfering the officers in charge-- not charging the officers involved.

I also , posted well before this guy although I have suggested links to grey wolfe Uighurs ,because of the Turkish embassy attack and deportation, it seems pretty obvious that it was Uighurs and the same lot involved in people smuggling and now Ya Ba as well.

There is no doubt of a turkish connection and I would not discount ISIS being involved as you say.

Also they investigated a media/ printing firm in Sukhomvit Rd after finding drums of precursers to amphetimine production the drums had been previously full of printing material, would they have been better off to investigate that firm for making passports/false documents than bomb material?

There used to be a place in Khao son Rd where people could go and get a passport or fake driver license made to order, aparently been operating for years, just as the Sa Kaew border has been trafficking people through its gates for years. Mai Pben Rai.

Oh but they fixed that problem and the Min Buri jail problem as well by transfering the officers in charge-- not charging the officers involved.

Too simplistic Keith and precisely the sort of conclusion that the greater forces behind the shrine bombing and other significant world events would like you, and the masses, to reach. There is a much larger picture here that needs to be painted and as far as I can make out the senior Thai authorities are fully aware of the divisions within their own country for whom these events would be advantageous.

Too simplistic Keith and precisely the sort of conclusion that the greater forces behind the shrine bombing and other significant world events would like you, and the masses, to reach. There is a much larger picture here that needs to be painted and as far as I can make out the senior Thai authorities are fully aware of the divisions within their own country for whom these events would be advantageous.

I too put forward the Uirgher idea quite early, but I would be happy to revise or jettison it completely if you can come up with more detail on your 'much larger picture'.

Presents some very interesting information. My curiosity is definitely piqued by this.

Interesting indeed, and plausibly presented. I don't know if it is accurate or not, and I honestly wish I could say, like some of the muppet brigade, that 'Thais could not do something like this so it must have been a foreigner". But many years of living in Thailand have taught me to have rather a different view.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

......all I see is an excuse for an article....telling us nothing that has not already been published...

...how much did he get paid for that gem....

The first time someone on here blamed the Redshirts I posted in response that it had a Uighur connection.

Blue shirt?, yellow shirt?, Turkish?,Thai ? Uighur ?, experts or dummies,( wrong place/timing ),

" smelled like bomb making materials " ? , he's the guy but not the top guy ?,one caught -

two caught ?, investigative tools broken ?, cameras not working ? no investigative tools ?

US & UK told to back off ?

Vurry interesting investigation !

What is the connection between UigHur and TURKEY !

Uighur and chinjain are orginally from Turkish , they live in china and they have many prob with CN gov

The second question I don't know the answer !!!

Chinjain??

Gotta love news that is in the form of a question.

Betteridge's law of headlines says "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines)

Very good, though it doesn't really work so well when the question starts with "who?"

Unless of course the person behind it was Dr No, the infamous Bond villain!

Edited by lamyai3