New team to draft new charter to be appointed in 30 days

webfact

New team to draft new charter to be appointed in 30 days

511-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) says the new constitution drafting committee will be appointed within 30 days after the charter draft was rejected by the National Reform Council in a vote yesterday.

According to NNT, NCPO spokesman Col Winthai Suvaree stated that the interim constitution requires another panel of the constitution drafting committee (CDC) to be appointed by the NCPO within 30 days.

Once appointed, the new CDC will have 180 days to draft the new charter, which will then be put into a national referendum within 45 days.

The NCPO spokesman revealed that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed gratitude to the previous CDC and stressed that it is unacceptable for anyone to use yesterday ‘s vote to create any political conflict.

He said that the charter draft of the previous CDC and the NRC will be used as guideline for the new CDC todraft .

The Prime Minister has also expressed his hope that everything will proceed according to plan, and asked the general public to participate to truly benefit the society, the NCPO Spokesman reports.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-team-to-draft-new-charter-to-be-appointed-in-30-days

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-07

Why bother? Assuming it even gets approved, it will only be torn up in a few years anyway.

Ah, right. Military wants to remain in power.

Why not use a good charter from a other country and adjust it to Thailands situation? Swiss one?

Or instead of drafting a new constitution just fix the weaknesses of the 1997 or 2007 constitution?

For me it really doesn't look like the military wants to remain in power. Prayut looks like he really don't want this job. He should resign and give the job to someone different....could be another General who is more able. Or if no one has a clue, give it to Suthep and let him show if he can really do what he spoke about all the time.

If he complete fails than at least no one will follow him in future. If he can do, even better.

Why bother? Assuming it even gets approved, it will only be torn up in a few years anyway.

Why not use a good charter from a other country and adjust it to Thailands situation? Swiss one?

Or instead of drafting a new constitution just fix the weaknesses of the 1997 or 2007 constitution?

For me it really doesn't look like the military wants to remain in power. Prayut looks like he really don't want this job. He should resign and give the job to someone different....could be another General who is more able. Or if no one has a clue, give it to Suthep and let him show if he can really do what he spoke about all the time.

If he complete fails than at least no one will follow him in future. If he can do, even better.

Give it to Suthep? Are you crazy?? That really would be a short cut to civil war. Any more nutty suggestions from you junta groupies?

Give it to Suthep? Are you crazy?? That really would be a short cut to civil war. Any more nutty suggestions from you junta groupies?
The mad monk should be locked away and never heard of again. He is the best example of why Thai politics has been a failure. You can add the military who think they are above any law also. Edited by Reigntax

Swiss ? Why not look at Taiwan as a more similar culture ? A country that has forged a representative government through civil war and threats from a huge neighbor?

Swiss???? Why not Rssian, iraqu, iran china, or any other communist country

Swiss ? Why not look at Taiwan as a more similar culture ? A country that has forged a representative government through civil war and threats from a huge neighbor?

Why not Japan that has a monarchy like Thailand? it is also a very homogenous ethnicity and religion like Thailand.

I suspect an element of the tongue in the cheek in the post that you seemingly assumed to be serious.

Do you really think that if Suthep gets into power, he will ever leave? What an extraordinary idea!

I suspect an element of the tongue in the cheek in the post that you seemingly assumed to be serious.

You must not have remembered many of h90's posts - he's very seriously pro-Suthep/PDRC. As are a few others.

This is a kick in the Arse for the Junta , egg all over the place including the face , now if they are genuine they will now draft a charter o/haul that will represent the people ,not the elite from BKK. nor should a Democracy have an un - elected Prime Minister and nor should there be increased presence or likely hood of military influence, meddling in state affairs.coffee1.gif

Give it to that fascist gangster goon Suthep ?

Here is the

Legal Opinion of the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights on the Draft Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand

http://prachatai.org/english/node/5449?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+prachataienglish+%28Prachatai+in+English%29

Why not Japan that has a monarchy like Thailand? it is also a very homogenous ethnicity and religion like Thailand.

The Japanese constitution was 'given' to them by the USA Occupational Forces in 1947. It aimed at democracy, continuity and keeping the communists at bay. Consequently Japan still has 'power groups' like Thailand and at times the "we've done nothing wrong" mentality combined with some "we're Japanese" thrown in.

Hardly a good starting point I would think.

The Japanese constitution was 'given' to them by the USA Occupational Forces in 1947. It aimed at democracy, continuity and keeping the communists at bay. Consequently Japan still has 'power groups' like Thailand and at times the "we've done nothing wrong" mentality combined with some "we're Japanese" thrown in.

Yes, and fortunately we don't have to cloud our thinking about other factors that could arise from a well conceived government. Things like life expectancy, education level, and standard of living. I wonder how Japan has fared since WWII?

Yes, and fortunately we don't have to cloud our thinking about other factors that could arise from a well conceived government. Things like life expectancy, education level, and standard of living. I wonder how Japan has fared since WWII?

It getting a bit off topic, but considering that the 1947 Constitution of Japan never got amended might mean

- the Americans did a real good job

- Japanese society has remained static since WWII

- the laws no longer reflect the letter of the constitution and maybe not even the spirit

- Japanese work around the laws.

Not sure which to chose, but it suggest that the Japanese constitution would hardly be a 'solid' starting point for Thailand.

Indeed, I suspect the super-panel idea was brought in specifically to scupper the draft after it became clear it would not win the referendum. Mr P desperate to be in power come the day. I mean *really* desperate.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

It getting a bit off topic, but considering that the 1947 Constitution of Japan never got amended might mean

- the laws no longer reflect the letter of the constitution and maybe not even the spirit

Not sure which to chose, but it suggest that the Japanese constitution would hardly be a 'solid' starting point for Thailand.

Dear rubl,

That is indeed a very odd and self-defeating response.

You set up 4 hypothetical "reasons" for why the Japanese constitution has not been amended. Then you provide no supporting argument either for or against your 4 hypotheses. Then you say you are "not sure" which to choose. And finally you suggest this is somehow supporting your position that the Japanese constitution "would hardly be a solid starting point for Thailand".

Well, let's cut through the fog, shall we?

The procedure for amending the Japanese Constitution is quite clear and simple. The reason it has never been amended is that the majority party of the Diet has never mustered a 2/3 vote to take an amendment to the next step.

Now that we have reduced your level of confusion on that point, let's go back to my actual question, which was essentially, how have the Japanese fared since WWII under the Constitution which you think is not a good starting point for Thailand? The evidence related to that question is almost uniformly positive, as Japan is highly ranked across a broad set of measures.

How much of Japan's success is due to the Constitution they have had since WWII, or the innate qualities of the culture, or fortunate circumstances? That would make for a good research project; and I'm sure many people have already tried to answer that question.

On the other hand, we can say that Japan has outperformed Thailand in many ways. Thus the suggestion that the Japanese Constitution might be a decent model for Thailand is a reasonable one, notwithstanding your vague mutterings.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

If you compare Thailand and Japan at the end of WW2, then compare them 70 years later, the difference is huge. What could account for it?

Synchronicity. weird. As I wrote that a pic came up on the TV showing 5 Thai pooyay trying to look all statesman-like.. The question answered itself I think.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

My wife likes to say the junta is doing us a favor by destroying the economy and pushing the baht in the right direction. I don't think the Return to Happiness show will be cancelled until there's a new monarch regardless of how much these generals run the country into the ground.

My wife likes to say the junta is doing us a favor by destroying the economy and pushing the baht in the right direction. I don't think the Return to Happiness show will be cancelled until there's a new monarch regardless of how much these generals run the country into the ground.

Yes, the uninvited guests plan to stay a while.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Dear rubl,

That is indeed a very odd and self-defeating response.

You set up 4 hypothetical "reasons" for why the Japanese constitution has not been amended. Then you provide no supporting argument either for or against your 4 hypotheses. Then you say you are "not sure" which to choose. And finally you suggest this is somehow supporting your position that the Japanese constitution "would hardly be a solid starting point for Thailand".

Well, let's cut through the fog, shall we?

The procedure for amending the Japanese Constitution is quite clear and simple. The reason it has never been amended is that the majority party of the Diet has never mustered a 2/3 vote to take an amendment to the next step.

Now that we have reduced your level of confusion on that point, let's go back to my actual question, which was essentially, how have the Japanese fared since WWII under the Constitution which you think is not a good starting point for Thailand? The evidence related to that question is almost uniformly positive, as Japan is highly ranked across a broad set of measures.

How much of Japan's success is due to the Constitution they have had since WWII, or the innate qualities of the culture, or fortunate circumstances? That would make for a good research project; and I'm sure many people have already tried to answer that question.

On the other hand, we can say that Japan has outperformed Thailand in many ways. Thus the suggestion that the Japanese Constitution might be a decent model for Thailand is a reasonable one, notwithstanding your vague mutterings.

In relation to the static 1947 Japanese constitution I wondered why it hadn't been amended even a little bit. Some possibilities came to mind and as such didn't need elaborate justification.

Now of course you seem to argue that what worked for Japan will work for Thailand. Maybe you as American could also learn from it? A document written in 1947 for a Japanese society still in WWII mood (mentally), doesn't automatically become a good base for Thailand in 2015. Your 'might be a decent model for Thailand' suggest that doubt as well. The Netherlands constitution works very well in the Netherlands, having evolved since 1817 ( I think), covering social improvements, etc., etc. Using your reasoning such document might well be a decent model for Thailand.

I think that the 2007 constitution as evolvement on the 1997 constitution with having been in use for 17 years in Thailand, with know deficiencies and strengths would be a much better starting point than any foreign import or even the draft now rejected.

Just my vague mutterings as opposed to your crystal clear whatever.

Since when did a pooyai Thai ever resign?