Lufthansa pilots' union calls strike for Tuesday

webfact

Lufthansa pilots' union calls strike for Tuesday

BERLIN (AP) — A union representing Lufthansa pilots has called a one-day strike at the German airline's long-distance and cargo operations on Tuesday — the latest in a string of walkouts.

The Vereinigung Cockpit union has hit various Lufthansa units with more than a dozen short-term walkouts over recent months. The dispute centers on the airline's plans to cut transition payments for pilots wanting to retire early, which the union wants to see maintained.

The union announced the latest strike on Monday, saying that previous talks made no progress.

Traditional national carriers such as Germany's biggest airline are being squeezed both by European budget carriers and major Gulf airlines. Lufthansa has announced plans to launch budget long-haul services.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-07

As I understand pilot demographics airlines are going to need pilots not encourage them to

retire early. But I guess they do not want the expensive full service carriers. Oh well one

thing I am sure of is inconvenienced travellers will not be happy. blink.png

As I understand pilot demographics airlines are going to need pilots not encourage them to

retire early. But I guess they do not want the expensive full service carriers. Oh well one

thing I am sure of is inconvenienced travellers will not be happy. blink.png

It is the unhappy pilots that I fear.