Visit from CM Immigration?

connda

I am not from CM but near BKK and had them visit 2 years in a row I was on the marriage visa, as the marriage is ending (unfortunately) I will be on an elite visa next. They told me I would not get any visits like that on the elite visa (find it strange they hassle people on retirement visa's)

Even if someone on extension via retirement and has got passport all stamped up how can they tell by a home visit??? After getting extension there is no requirement to keep 800000 in bank just three months before so again what can a visit archive is there some differences in the extension stamp ect to a real one?????

As another poster pointed out, it is someone working here that they are really interested in, if anything at all. The most likely explanation is simple routine. The bombing has the entire police force stepping up their game. And I am sure the word has come down from on high that playing FB all day will no long be tolerated - only 6 hours is acceptable now.

Coming soon to CM, BiB doing their job

Yes, I got a visit from the police, he asked to see my passport, but not with any immigration officers, the same police guy even came back again to check my passport a few days later.

Technically we are supposed to report to the local police when moving in and they are supposed to keep a register updated of the foreigners in their area.

I'm sure it was to do with that.

Yes, I got a visit from the police, he asked to see my passport, but not with any immigration officers, the same police guy even came back again to check my passport a few days later.

Technically we are supposed to report to the local police when moving in and they are supposed to keep a register updated of the foreigners in their area.

Yes, but he did tell Mrs Possum that they are checking on Farangs because of the

Bangkok atrocity.

As the OP says and others nothing to worry about if everything is in order. Just doing there job

If only that was true ... How do you think the bombers entered Thailand ... ?

Is it "doing their job" to extort foreigners app for Cert. of Res. or a WP ?

I read this morning in that other newspaper that the Chief of Police is 'very angry' with immigration officers for letting the bombers into the country. He said something which I think may have been lost in translation about people coming into Thailand on education visa and working as teachers being let in and others just paying to be allowed in, citing actual prices people are paying. I mused as I was reading that this may signal yet another big crackdown; as immigration are a division of the police force, then this chief of police must be higher up than the highest ranking officer in Immigration Division, meaning it very well could mean no more (or fewer) underhand payments, which will more likely turn into hounding decent living folks who are already here, whatever their visa, so they can be seen as doing their jobs.

I wonder if this chief of police knows about the recent developments in immigration here, or more interestingly if he has an email address.......

I had a visit today, it was a local policeman (Pa Sang, Lamphun) and he said nothing to be concerned about and it was related to the BKK bombing.He also said the central government had told them to do it. He spoke no English, all done through my Thai partner and he did not want to see anything. Nice chap; but my partner thought he was more scared of me, since he only wanted to talk with her.

Same here in Mae Tha in Lamphun. Two local police men came around yesterday, but didn't want to see my passport or anything nor did they ask any questions. They just talked to our neighbour and my girlfriend for a few minutes, and went on their merry way.

They had a list with information supplied by Immigration in Chiang Mai, but it also had the name and phone number of my girlfriend (something I have never given Immigration), so they must have taken the information from the Immigration database and run it against the Tabien Bahn system (I guess). As said, they were local police but was given their task by central police in Bangkok (not immigration police). The list they had contained a column that my girlfriend said had the headline "risk" (in Thai), probably as in security risk/risk profile.

Sophon

Personally I would/am quite happy for whatever checks they may wish to carry out nothing to hide all paper work in order nothing to worry about. And if by some small chance it uncovers some body or persons who want to commit some sort of crime then it's worth it IMHO.

Yes, but he did tell Mrs Possum that they are checking on Farangs because of the

Bangkok atrocity.

Sure. The recent BIB visits are definitely due to the bombing but it's just reactive arse covering.

I registered with my local police station when I permanently moved here. They called Mrs Elviajero last week to ask if I was still here. Either they were too lazy to come see for themselves or it was all that was needed because they already new about me.

I don't think checking up on long term expats is going to achieve anything and is only happening because of political buck passing and finger pointing.

That is not what I would consider "doing their job". How about going out fighting crime, cracking down on dangerous driving, protecting the population from crime etc etc. Setting up checkpoints to bully people is not doing their job, either.

He must be in the Alzheimer's division of the department. whistling.gif

I had a visit today, it was a local policeman (Pa Sang, Lamphun) and he said nothing to be concerned about and it was related to the BKK bombing.He also said the central government had told them to do it. He spoke no English, all done through my Thai partner and he did not want to see anything. Nice chap; but my partner thought he was more scared of me, since he only wanted to talk with her.

Add two I\Os plus the local BIB and that was exactly my situation too. Wife even invited them to come inside the fence and into the house. I have two dogs, one of which really isn't fond of strangers. According to wife, the I\O decline because of the 'scary' dog. vampire.gif

They actually saw you? I stayed in the house and watched TV; the dog already had them worried Lol. At the time, I didn't know who they were and didn't particularly care. When wife has things under control, I stay uninvolved. A lot of Thai folk come and go around here. I generally find out who they were after the fact.

"Who were they?

Immigration and police.

"What did they want?

They check farang because of bomb in Krung Thep.

"They gone?"

Chai.

"Cool." coffee1.gif

Edited by connda

Same here in Mae Tha in Lamphun. Two local police men came around yesterday, but didn't want to see my passport or anything nor did they ask any questions. They just talked to our neighbour and my girlfriend for a few minutes, and went on their merry way.

They had a list with information supplied by Immigration in Chiang Mai, but it also had the name and phone number of my girlfriend (something I have never given Immigration), so they must have taken the information from the Immigration database and run it against the Tabien Bahn system (I guess). As said, they were local police but was given their task by central police in Bangkok (not immigration police). The list they had contained a column that my girlfriend said had the headline "risk" (in Thai), probably as in security risk/risk profile.

Sophon

I have a Turkish friend who is on tenterhooks waiting for the knock on the door at the dead of night.

Yes I can imagine how he/she feels.

It's a shame everyone from Turkey, will probably be tarred with the same brush.

They probably already have a checkmark in the "Risk" column.