Buying a BBQ in Thailand

STUDMEYER

Bought a Weber ( round charcoal grill) knock off, at Global for 1400 Baht. That's all you need.

of course charcoal grilled taste a lot better, but some people prefer to eat worse quality at higher costs but have it more convenient.

I can't understand how someone could BBQ with gas.....BBQ with gas is a stove and should sit in the kitchen......

Agree. But to each his own.

Bought a Weber ( round charcoal grill) knock off, at Global for 1400 Baht. That's all you need.

of course charcoal grilled taste a lot better, but some people prefer to eat worse quality at higher costs but have it more convenient.

I can't understand how someone could BBQ with gas.....BBQ with gas is a stove and should sit in the kitchen......

I got a charcoal grill first, but the charcoal around where I am is crap. Big branches and little pieces mixed together. No way to keep an even heat under the grill.

Plus, they don't have mesquite, or even hickory, around here. That's what adds the flavor. Plain charcoal just adds carcinogens.

Anyway, a gas grill under a grate will char your steak, and you get an even heat, so you're not raw on one end and burnt on the other. The flavor has to come from the dry rub, or the marinade depending what's being bbq'd. I'd trade it all for a few bags of Kingsford Mesquite charcoal, though.

I bring charcoal from the States, as well as hickory, apple, mesquite, and red oak.

Some of the charcoal here is fine, but it takes longer to fire up. As far as wood, mango is readily available and is pretty good for pork, chicken, and fish. There are a few other woods I've tried, but I forget the Thai names offhand.

Does the gas LPG smell here since it is a mix of 60 Propane 40 Butane - want for under grill, compared to gas of 100 Propane in the west

Plan to make BBQ with plate, but am still out on whether to do grill due to the above

I am from the west and our gas is a mix as well.

The smell comes from a perfume that is added so you can detect leaks

I got a charcoal grill first, but the charcoal around where I am is crap. Big branches and little pieces mixed together. No way to keep an even heat under the grill.

Plus, they don't have mesquite, or even hickory, around here. That's what adds the flavor. Plain charcoal just adds carcinogens.

Anyway, a gas grill under a grate will char your steak, and you get an even heat, so you're not raw on one end and burnt on the other. The flavor has to come from the dry rub, or the marinade depending what's being bbq'd. I'd trade it all for a few bags of Kingsford Mesquite charcoal, though.

I bring charcoal from the States, as well as hickory, apple, mesquite, and red oak.

Some of the charcoal here is fine, but it takes longer to fire up. As far as wood, mango is readily available and is pretty good for pork, chicken, and fish. There are a few other woods I've tried, but I forget the Thai names offhand.

I haven't found the good charcoal near me, but I visited I guy in Ampur Muang of our province who had charcoal briquettes, so I just have to find them. When I do, as I still have the charcoal grill, I'll try the mango wood, thanks for the tip. Do you dry it out first?

Let me understand this.... "You bring charcoal from the States" ????

Isn't that a bit like taking coals to Newcastle ????

You must be one very wealthy gent.

I haven't found the good charcoal near me, but I visited I guy in Ampur Muang of our province who had charcoal briquettes, so I just have to find them. When I do, as I still have the charcoal grill, I'll try the mango wood, thanks for the tip. Do you dry it out first?

Yes, I did. It took awhile to dry, though.

I think some people think you should not use mango wood because it is related to poison oak and the fruit has the chemical urushoil in it. But then again, so is a cashew, and people in the states use cashew for smoking. Also, the urushoil is in the fruit, leaves, and bark, but not in the wood.

I used it after seeing it used here, and I have never had an issue with it, and I am susceptable to urushoil.

Let me understand this.... "You bring charcoal from the States" ????

Isn't that a bit like taking coals to Newcastle ????

You must be one very wealthy gent.

It's not like coals to Newcastle at all. I can't get the quality of charcoal I want, so I bring it, just as I bring my favorite olive oils, vinegars, Diet Dr. Pepper, spices, and the like. And when I go to Europe, I bring back salamis, hams, and pastas that I can't find here nor want to handmake.

If I could get the same charcoal here, I would.

Some of the best charcoal in the world is made here. All kinds and grades. Texas is a huge buyer and so is Japan. The trouble is they wont just sell a small amount. I do like the briquttes they make here. They are cylindrical in shape and have a hole in the middle. Sometimes hard to find though. I like to use the charcoal or rather the charwood thats made from rambutan, nice heat and no smell. The Better half stopped at a mom and pop store in a pinch and bought a bag of what looked like 2x4 and it smelled like it was treated old wood from a fence....so you gotta be careful out there.

Some of the best charcoal in the world is made here. All kinds and grades. Texas is a huge buyer and so is Japan. The trouble is they wont just sell a small amount. I do like the briquttes they make here. They are cylindrical in shape and have a hole in the middle. Sometimes hard to find though. I like to use the charcoal or rather the charwood thats made from rambutan, nice heat and no smell. The Better half stopped at a mom and pop store in a pinch and bought a bag of what looked like 2x4 and it smelled like it was treated old wood from a fence....so you gotta be careful out there.

Any tips on where to find the good charcoal? By wont sell a small amount do you mean they only sell commercial quantities or can an individual buy maybe a year's worth at once?