UK academic Wyn Ellis released from Thai detention

Jonathan Fairfield

UK academic Wyn Ellis released from Thai detention

30268362-01_big.jpg

Wyn Ellis //Photo from : BBCThai

BANGKOK:-- A British academic who was detained at a Thai airport over a dispute linked to a UN report he wrote nine years ago has been released.

Agricultural consultant Wyn Ellis, from Swansea, was held at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on Thursday and told he had been reported as a national security threat.

He has been involved in a long-running row with a former Thai official.

The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office said the situation is now resolved.

Dr Ellis, who has been working with the UN on sustainable rice production, had believed he would be deported on Thursday after enduring what he called "obnoxious" conditions in an airport holding cell.

Before his release, Dr Ellis had told a news agency that British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent had phoned him to say he was "trying to do something".

Lawsuits

His detention appeared to be connected to him being blacklisted after a dispute with Thailand's former director of the country's National Innovation Agency (NIA), Supachai Lorlowhakarn.

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-09-08

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This should NOT be the end of it,,, Fairdinkum investigation on who had him black listed and why??? then send a message to all in the country if you try your s---t on and you know who I am crap then there will be consequence's, this has hurt Thailands imiage and reputation on an international scale and should be seriously investigated as this is blatant corruption, miss use of authority..................................... C'mon PM you say you will fight corruption, well then prove it.

Supachai Lorlowhakarn

I wonder if this scumbag is on twitter.

I'd love to tweet him to remind him he lost (again)

Supachai Lorlowhakarn

This name should be kept in the press

until his face is so lost that it doesn't exist.

Talk about a cheat and a poor loser.

he has youtube, (though probably doesnt use it much)

https://youtu.be/1mR4ir4MPpE

i can see that Professor Wyn Ellis already commended out against him on under his youtube video a long time ago.

and here is a great article about Plagarism in Thailand:

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/copy-paste-enter-thailands-plagiarism-problem/

Edited by easybullet3

This story resonates and has legs because everyone, retiree, employee, business owner, knows that 'there but for the grace of God go I'....everyone is only one vindictive or litigious complianant away from being in similar circumstances..

Most foreigners in Thailand want certainty: assurances that there is safety, tenure, freedom from harassment. Sadly, from the perspective of the individuals ( as well as for Thailand itself), there is a vulnerability , not only from vindictive whack-jobs but also government policy which can change at any whim or fancy.

This is a really bad news story for Dr Wym but also for Thailand

The sad thing we learn from this is that, even if a foreigner cares enough about Thailand to go through the hoops and become a citizen, he/she will still be treated as "second class" and doesn't seem to have any more rights than a tourist. Can someone please explain how a person who is a citizen of a country and holds a passport be "blacklisted" without some sort of court process and revocation of the passport? Only in Thailand !!!

'Ellis has had long-running legal battles with Supachai Lorlowhakarn, former head of the National Innovation Agency (NIA)'

You just know Supachai wished the N in that title, was a C

Hilariously his plan to keep this quiet has backfired and he is the butt of international jokes as well as disgracing Thailand.

Good luck with saving face now Supachai, time to join a monastry

It is so sad that it takes international embarrassment for the law and government to act here. All the hubs of this and that and really as so often shown that this country is often backwards and anything near what could be considered civilized. To bring happiness to the people start treating people with dignity and not false faced contempt.

I agree with the other posters. This issue should far be from finished. The leaders of this country should stop these ridiculous things happening before they do. Thailand wanted to have a seat on the UN council. You are simply not ready by a long way.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

and revocation of the passport? Only in Thailand !!!

No, not only in Thailand ;

in France also and in many countries all over this world ;

A passport does not belong to the person who has it but to the country that has issued it ; it's written on, generally on the last page.

If your country decides to don't give you a passport or to revocate it; it can .

This story resonates and has legs because everyone, retiree, employee, business owner, knows that 'there but for the grace of God go I'....everyone is only one vindictive or litigious complianant away from being in similar circumstances..

Most foreigners in Thailand want certainty: assurances that there is safety, tenure, freedom from harassment. Sadly, from the perspective of the individuals ( as well as for Thailand itself), there is a vulnerability , not only from vindictive whack-jobs but also government policy which can change at any whim or fancy.

Bad news for Thailand? He was removed from an immigration blacklist he was put on in 2009. Imo this is good news for Thailand and the current government.

99.99% of all foreigners visiting Thailand have no reason to feel uncertain here. Especially when they don't get involved in local affairs.

Edited by Nickymaster

And the cheat was originally allowed to graduate on a plagiarised paper, which really helps boost the country, and Chulalongkorn's image. No wonder Thai universities struglle to reach world rankings.

Anyone who has been involved in teaching here will confirm plagiarism is rampant and accepted. There are many, many people with degrees, holding office, including in schools and unis, that never achieved the ' qualifications ' they claim.

I once worked at a rural uni and a colleague had an assignment handed in that was copied word for word from a reference book but when he took the student to task the answer was to the effect " at least i handed something in ".

The sad thing we learn from this is that, even if a foreigner cares enough about Thailand to go through the hoops and become a citizen, he/she will still be treated as "second class" and doesn't seem to have any more rights than a tourist. Can someone please explain how a person who is a citizen of a country and holds a passport be "blacklisted" without some sort of court process and revocation of the passport? Only in Thailand !!!

No, you are wrong. He lost his Thai passport so he used his UK passport, the one where he was blacklisted. He did not have his Thai passport or any proof of Thai citizenship with him.

Pretty well every country in the world has blacklists that are made and maintained and enforced secretly. Actually, Thailand's immigration blacklist is relatively open and Mr Ellis could have found out he was blacklisted on his UK passport if he had asked. He is/was not blacklisted on his Thai passport, of course.

Edited by wandasloan

I hope that the farangs of Thailand make it happen that , just as the name Somchai has become synonymous in Thailand with a Thai "average joe" , the name Supachai becomes representative of the character type that is low , conniving and deceitful in LOS

Tell your friends , "Hey , that tuk tuk driver just tried a Supachai on me !" or , "I think its Supachai making my bin over there ,,," 555

Bad news for Thailand? He was removed from immigration blacklist he was put on in 2009. Imo this is good news for Thailand and the current government.

99.99% of all foreigners visiting Thailand have no reason to feel uncertain here. Especially when they don't get involved in local affairs.

...he has been jailed for some days before he has been released...

That doesn't make me feel particularly safe. But oh well, if that's your feeling.

Bad news for Thailand? He was removed from immigration blacklist he was put on in 2009. Imo this is good news for Thailand and the current government.

...he has been jailed for some days before he has been released...

That doesn't make me feel particularly safe. But oh well, if that's your feeling.

I can't judge your personal situation but I feel very safe when going through immigration. I know for sure they have no reason to block my entry into Thailand.