Yellow Tabien Baan no more valid? DLT insisted on a blue one.

Today I went to the DLT Banglamung to renew my drivers license.

I had all necessary documents, including yellow tabien baan.

But the lady at the DLT, insisted on a blue book (or certificate of residence) and told us, that the yellow ones would be no more accepted.

From what I've understood, the yellow books now have to be replaced with a blue one.(?)

Is that correct or just BS?

Someone on the Pattaya Forum reported his yellow book was accepted but he had to show his wifes Blue book as well showing the same address. Not that you have to be married to get a licence.laugh.png Cannot remember how to post a link. It is on the Pattaya forum - renew 5 yr licence page 9

Edited by pontious

When I obtained my 2 year 'temporary' car and motorcycle licences, earlier this year, I provided a declaration from my embassy as 'proof' of my address in Thailand.

Is this not also acceptable for the 5 year licences? Or, are there different criteria?

Edited by Stray

When I obtained my 2 year 'temporary' car and motorcycle licences, earlier this year, I provided a declaration from my embassy as 'proof' of my address in Thailand.

Is this not also acceptable for the 5 year licences? Or, are there different criteria?

2 year???? is this a new thing or??? Thought it still was 1 year and than 5 years..

Glegolo

Someone on the Pattaya Forum reported his yellow book was accepted but he had to show his wifes Blue book as well showing the same address. Not that you have to be married to get a licence. .....

Well, I've found that post and I guess, that was, what the clerk at the DLT wanted to tell me in his perfect "Thinglish".

But since this is impossible for some reasons...whistling.gif, I've obtained a COR at the Immigration today in only 20 minutes.

This is my very first "Certificate of Residence" in over 15 years Thailand, never needed one before, the yellow book was always sufficient.

So things might have changed, or is it (just again) a "special Pattaya thingy"?

2 year???? is this a new thing or??? Thought it still was 1 year and than 5 years..

Glegolo

Seems he means one car and one motorcycle licence makes in total two.

I went to my local office in Nathon and asked for a "yellow book " after a quick chat with her friend the girls said that will be fine but you have to pay 30,000 baht and the self elected PM claims he is wiping out corruption maybe he should visit his government offices in Nathon Koh Samui. My friend who lives on Koh Phangan had gotten his the day before for a cost of 200 baht.

• Like 1

Glegolo

No it's supposed to be a 2 year license now.

I don't know the reasons - but then my DLT tried to fob me off with a 1 year when i was applying for my 5 last month.

I went with an out of date certificate of residence and the guy who checked it over mentioned it, I said "oh the guy in the back office" which it looked like I had just walked from " said it was ok" - "oh, mai bpen rai uh" and that was it.

Point being, I didn't speak to any guy in the back office and the guy who was printing the cards wasn't aware that non-o can apply for a 5 year.

No one in this country has a clue about their job .. Sometimes it's worth a blag.

Back on track, I understand the 1 year guys are better off with a 2 year, but if like me you were waiting for the 1 year to expire to get a 5 year international or full Thai license that's valid abroad - it's not so good.

Edited by recom273

I went to my local office in Nathon and asked for a "yellow book " after a quick chat with her friend the girls said that will be fine but you have to pay 30,000 baht and the self elected PM claims he is wiping out corruption maybe he should visit his government offices in Nathon Koh Samui. My friend who lives on Koh Phangan had gotten his the day before for a cost of 200 baht.

Six years ago I had to enlist my lawyer to accompany me to the Nathon Tesabaan after my wife, who was in our blue book, was refused a yellow book for me, even though we met the Criteria. The ladies laughed at my wife and refused to take it upstairs to their boss after 3 trips compiling all their requirements.

Nothing has changed. they will not issue a replacement blue book, so i am back with the Lawyer.

Samui is the worst place for officials setting their own laws, and tea money.

Four years ago, an additional work place was added to my WP.

When I renewed my 5 year car drivers licence earlier this year, the Land Transport processing clerk insisted that my address be changed to this, so now my drivers license shows that I live at my office, despite my home address being in the WP.

Was pointless arguing the point as it was already a loss of face issue with me standing in line with lots of Thai witnesses, so now my drivers license shows that I live in my office.

Point is, that the Land Transport Department has its fair share of geniuses/rocket scientists and that if you bump into one, then you'll have to go with the flow, or not have a current driving license.

Suspect the OP's yellow book issue falls into the same category.

Upshot is, if it's fixable, then just smile and wave, then go with the flow.

" ... it was already a loss of face issue with me ..."

Don't feel bad. Most of the whiners and moaners on TV are primarily upset because they've suffered loss of face and want other farang to comfort them.

I like this statement:

Quote...

No one in this country has a clue about their job .. Sometimes it's worth a blag.

...unquote

It is very very true of most of the Govt. departments all over the country.

Ha ha ha!

You being a resident expert in what's going on in government departments all over the country? In the majority of reports posted on TV claiming that an government officer did something wrong, it's the poster who's confused and in the thread of posts that follow, posters manage to come up with a load of conflicting advice on how it should be done.

I'm still amazed at the number of farang who've been here for years and still don't know the difference between a visa & an extension of stay, when to do a 90 day report or that they need a re-entry permit or when they leave their extension will evaporate ... but these same people are experts on what government departments should do/ Ha ha ha!

I live in Khon Kaen 2 weeks ago I renewed my license which had expired in February 2015 I showed my old one and my yellow house book. I went into the room to name the 3 colours on the lights, green, yellow and red. I came out gave the piece of paper to the desk lady, she gave me a form and told me to go up the room and wait for my number to be called. It was called, had my pic taken paid 250 baht and received a 2 year license. All done within 1 hour..

I think different ones make their own rules up.

Glegolo

Just got my first license here in Chiang Mai this month. I had gotten a letter of residency from Immigration. Was prepared to take the written test and driving portion. They asked if I had a license from my home country (US) and made a copy.

15 minutes later I walked out with a 2 year temporary license. It seems that my US license exempted me from taking the tests!

I was also surprised to see I had a 2 year license.

Glegolo

Just got my first license here in Chiang Mai this month. I had gotten a letter of residency from Immigration. Was prepared to take the written test and driving portion. They asked if I had a license from my home country (US) and made a copy.

15 minutes later I walked out with a 2 year temporary license. It seems that my US license exempted me from taking the tests!

I was also surprised to see I had a 2 year license.

Near lunch time.......?

• Like 1

Today I went to the DLT Banglamung to renew my drivers license.

I had all necessary documents, including yellow tabien baan.

But the lady at the DLT, insisted on a blue book (or certificate of residence) and told us, that the yellow ones would be no more accepted.

From what I've understood, the yellow books now have to be replaced with a blue one.(?)

Is that correct or just BS?

I renew my license 3 weeks ago with my yellow book no problem in issan

I went through a fair amount of grief to get mine due to the local official not understanding my house situation (own house on land leased through usufruct) but once we got through all that to his satisfaction the entire process was free. Did not pay a baht. I was expecting at least a small fee to cover the issuance of the book, but nada.

• Like 2

I renew my license 3 weeks ago with my yellow book no problem in issan

Exactly what I've expected...just the usual Pattaya BS.

PS: How many days/week/months time does one have to renew an expired license?

I have to go to the DLT Chonburi next week anyway, so I could renew the license there.

Edited by Turkleton

Another sign that this government is run by idiots, as a yellow book is the ultimate proof of residence.

By the way when I renewed my license at the banglamung office last year they requested copy AND original blue and yellow book. As if someone is gonna falsify a copy of a tabien baan.

Edited by Anthony5

I live in Khon Kaen 2 weeks ago I renewed my license which had expired in February 2015 I showed my old one and my yellow house book. I went into the room to name the 3 colours on the lights, green, yellow and red. I came out gave the piece of paper to the desk lady, she gave me a form and told me to go up the room and wait for my number to be called. It was called, had my pic taken paid 250 baht and received a 2 year license. All done within 1 hour..

I think different ones make their own rules up.

True

Konlayut Jattutasri, Registrar of the Licensing Division at the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office.
Answered on Friday, November 14, 2014 | 03:55 PM

In general, a foreigner listed as the property owner with a yellow tabien baan does not need any proof of address from Immigration. However, a foreigner listed in a yellow tabien baan only as a resident at that address, not as the property owner, definitely does need the letter from Immigration. In your case, there might have been a mistake somewhere. It is possible that, in the past, our officers did not check carefully enough to see whether or not your name was listed as the property owner, or just as a resident at the address for which the tabien baan was issued. However, if you are listed in the yellow book as the “owner” and our staff still asked for proof of address from Immigration, please come and see me and I will take care of it.
- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/issues_answers_details/1547#sthash.1rfH947P.dpuf

Edited by falkan

Pattaya DLT have not accepted yellow books for a long time, refused mine a couple of years ago. They also refused my medical certificate because the clinic was out of the area.

I got my first 5 year license in April this year using a yellow Tabien Baan. Bang Lamung DLT had no problem then; maybe a recent change?

When I renewed my 5 year car drivers licence earlier this year, the Land Transport processing clerk insisted that my address be changed to this, so now my drivers license shows that I live at my office, despite my home address being in the WP.

Was pointless arguing the point as it was already a loss of face issue with me standing in line with lots of Thai witnesses, so now my drivers license shows that I live in my office.

Point is, that the Land Transport Department has its fair share of geniuses/rocket scientists and that if you bump into one, then you'll have to go with the flow, or not have a current driving license.

" ... it was already a loss of face issue with me ..."

Don't feel bad. Most of the whiners and moaners on TV are primarily upset because they've suffered loss of face and want other farang to comfort them.

I like this statement:

Quote...

...unquote

It is very very true of most of the Govt. departments all over the country.

Ha ha ha!

You being a resident expert in what's going on in government departments all over the country? In the majority of reports posted on TV claiming that an government officer did something wrong, it's the poster who's confused and in the thread of posts that follow, posters manage to come up with a load of conflicting advice on how it should be done.

I'm still amazed at the number of farang who've been here for years and still don't know the difference between a visa & an extension of stay, when to do a 90 day report or that they need a re-entry permit or when they leave their extension will evaporate ... but these same people are experts on what government departments should do/ Ha ha ha!

Brilliant as ever.

Glegolo

Er, no khrab.

Seems he means one car licence validity is two years and one motorcycle licence validity is two years.

Both were done at the same time and both have the same issue date (2015) and same expiry date (2017).

Glegolo

Two years, then five years.

However, that is not in question.

The OP's original question has been answered by falkan (#26). On the back of that question, is a declaration from the embassy 'proving' a Thai address permitted when applying for the five year licence, as it is for the two year 'temporary' licence?

Edited by Stray

I don't know why you feel the need to slag off rocket scientists or intelligent people in general - obviously the people you refer to don't have the intellectual firepower to back their ambitions.