Queen Elizabeth II set to become longest reigning UK monarch

webfact

Queen Elizabeth II set to become longest reigning UK monarch
SYLVIA HUI, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — She has lived longer than any of her predecessors, seen a dozen prime ministers come and go, and presided over six decades of British history — from war with Germany to the death of Princess Diana and terror attacks on London.

Now Queen Elizabeth II is set to become the longest reigning monarch in British history. On Wednesday, she beats the record set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria — 63 years and 7 months — more than a century ago. Only four other British kings and queens have reigned 50 years or more.

"You have to be a certain age to remember a time when she wasn't the queen," said royal historian and commentator Hugo Vickers.

The only monarch most living Britons have ever known, Elizabeth has been the constant heart of British life since she came to the throne as a young woman aged 25.

Much has changed since then. When she married Prince Philip in 1947, Britain was still in the grips of post-World War II austerity — the couple's wedding cake had to be made from ingredients sent as wedding presents from abroad. In 1953, when she was crowned in Westminster Abbey, television was a novelty and British colonies were still dotted around the world. By the 1990s, the empire had all but vanished.

Elizabeth is the last generation of British royals to be educated at home, and the first monarch from the country to have sent an email (1976) or a tweet (2014). She has worked with 12 British prime ministers — from Winston Churchill to David Cameron, who was not even born at the time of her coronation — and continues to carry out public engagements and travel at age 89.

While Elizabeth is instantly recognizable and held in endearing regard by her subjects, her personality and views remain an enigma to most. As constitutional monarch she must keep mum on political affairs, and only rarely does she let her thoughts be known. Days ahead of the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, she remarked that she hoped voters would think "very carefully about the future."

Some argue that reticence and neutrality form part of her appeal.

"She is above politics and when you have a change of government that's quite reassuring to know," Vickers said.

Stephen Daldry, director of the royal-themed play "The Audience," recently captured the queen's paradox: "You know, she is the most invisible visible public woman in the world," he said.

Her public speeches are dignified, modest and often dry.

"We are reminded here of our past, of the continuity of our national story and the virtues of resilience, ingenuity and tolerance which created it," she said during the Diamond Jubilee in 2012, which marked 60 years of her reign. "I have been privileged to witness some of that history and, with the support of my family, rededicate myself to the service of our great country and its people now and in the years to come."

Palace officials say there will be no fanfare on Wednesday, when Elizabeth officially becomes Britain's longest reigning monarch. Officials say the queen wanted the occasion to be a low-key affair, and that the day will be "business as usual." Elizabeth is expected to be staying in her Scottish home, Balmoral Castle, and will take a steam train journey from Edinburgh with Prince Philip to open the new Borders Railway.

Born April 21, 1926 in London, the queen was christened Elizabeth Alexandra Mary of York and was known as young Lilibet to her family. It seemed at the time unlikely that she would become queen — that is until Edward VIII, her uncle, unexpectedly abdicated in order to marry American divorcee Wallis Simpson. Elizabeth's father reluctantly became King George VI, and she was the heir when he died in 1952.

Even before that, as early as her 21st birthday, Elizabeth had dedicated her life to Britain and the Commonwealth.

"There is a motto which has been borne by many of my ancestors — a noble motto, 'I serve'," she said.

Elizabeth's marriage to Philip has endured for almost 70 years, longer than that of any other British monarch and outlasting the unions of three of her four children. In 1992, notoriously branded the "annus horribilis," Prince Charles separated from Princess Diana, and Prince Andrew separated from his wife Sarah Ferguson. Princess Anne was divorced in the same year.

Diana's death in 1997, which prompted Elizabeth to abandon royal protocol to publicly mourn her troublesome ex-daughter-in-law, marked one of the only low points in the queen's reign. Today, there is little doubt about her popularity: In 2012, a million people braved the rain and sang "God Save the Queen" as they marched to the gates of Buckingham Palace to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee.

"The British by and large really rather love her and certainly respect her enormously," Vickers said. "She has given this country an extraordinarily subtle and quiet stability."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-08

Key milestones in Queen Elizabeth II's life
The Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — Queen Elizabeth II is set to become Britain's longest-reigning monarch on Wednesday, surpassing her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria. Here are the key milestones in her life:

—April 21, 1926: Born Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary in Mayfair, London, the first child of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, later called the Queen Mother.

—Oct. 13, 1940: Elizabeth makes first public speech at age 14 on the BBC Children's Hour to reassure children who had been separated from their parents during the Blitz.

—Nov. 20, 1947: Elizabeth marries Prince Philip Mountbatten of Greece and Denmark at Westminster Abbey.

—1945: Elizabeth is made a Subaltern in the Auxiliary Territorial Service, serving for Britain during World War II.

—Nov. 14, 1948: Prince Charles, now Prince of Wales, heir-apparent to the throne, is born.

—Aug. 15, 1950: Elizabeth's second child and only daughter, Anne, Princess Royal, is born.

—June 2, 1953: Crowned Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey at the age of 25, upon the death of her father George VI. Many Britons bought their first television in order to watch the ceremony. The new monarch sets out on a tour of the Commonwealth, visiting places including Bermuda, Fiji, Tonga, Australia, and Gibraltar.

—Feb. 19, 1960: Elizabeth's third child, Prince Andrew, is born.

—March 10, 1964: Elizabeth's fourth child, Prince Edward, is born.

—May 1965: Elizabeth makes historic visit to West Germany, the first German visit by a British monarch in 52 years.

—1977: Elizabeth celebrates her Silver Jubilee, which marks 25 years on the throne.

—1992: Elizabeth has what she describes as an "annus horribilis," or a "horrible year." The year sees marriages for three of her four children end. Also that year, a fire damages Windsor Castle. Public outcry over the cost of repairs amid a recession prompts the queen to volunteer to pay income taxes.

—Aug. 31, 1997: Princess Diana dies in a car crash in Paris. Under public pressure to demonstrate her grief, Elizabeth makes an unprecedented TV broadcast in tribute to Diana's memory.

—2002: Elizabeth marks 50 years of reign with her Golden Jubilee. The year also sees the deaths of Elizabeth's mother and her sister, Margaret.

—Dec. 2007: Elizabeth becomes longest living British monarch, overtaking Victoria, who died at age 81.

—May 2011: Elizabeth makes historic visit to Ireland — the first visit by a British monarch since Irish independence.

—2012: Elizabeth marks 60 years of her reign with Diamond Jubilee.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-08

In a Country with a law that forbids any one speaking out against any monarch.......what can one say but......... Hooo-ray.......for the Queen...etc etc

-------------------

As the whole of England falls silent watching Germany storm through the world cup, there is a little whisper in the background,
"Look Philip, we're going to win!".......................................coffee1.gif

couldnt give a **** bloody parasites do nothing for the people swimming in billions, their kids spend their time at high class bars in Soho and Mayfair (Paid for by you and me) yea Hooray!!!! while millions of Brits live on the poverty line.

couldnt give a **** bloody parasites do nothing for the people swimming in billions, their kids spend their time at high class bars in Soho and Mayfair (Paid for by you and me) yea Hooray!!!! while millions of Brits live on the poverty line.

Too many Geldof's around...

Parasites ? I think not. How would you like to live a life where you could not take a leak behind the pub for fear that hordes of photographers were waiting to catch you in the act and spread you all over the tabloids ? On top of that, how would you like to get up and give speeches to thousands of people on numerous occasions ? I would much rather be myself, even though I can,t afford to drink in high class Mayfair bars. No, they are doing a service to the country, and are not responsible for people living on the poverty line. You must blame the politicians for that :) Go go go Lizzie !

They did not ask for the role and despite wealth and luxury the job appears onerous to me. I would not like it.

Anyone who disputes their achievements in the twentieth century is small minded though. George and QE2 were great figures in some very bad times, providing stability in states of flux. I am not a monarchist, but it is easier to disparage them than see their contributions. 63 years doing anything is a pretty good effort. Good one Liz!

Actually the Monarchy costs about the same as a cup of coffee per citizen. She is not worth billions.

Brits do not live on the poverty line- try traveling a little .

The bankers are much more parasites- and much more wealthy.

Yet, you took the time out of your busy schedule to open this thread and make a comment. So much for your opening line.

Long live the Queen . . . burp.gif

Parasites ? I think not. How would you like to live a life where you could not take a leak behind the pub for fear that hordes of photographers were waiting to catch you in the act and spread you all over the tabloids ? On top of that, how would you like to get up and give speeches to thousands of people on numerous occasions ? I would much rather be myself, even though I can,t afford to drink in high class Mayfair bars. No, they are doing a service to the country, and are not responsible for people living on the poverty line. You must blame the politicians for that smile.png Go go go Lizzie !

Certainly got you fooled, hopefully she's the last of a long line of murdering despots.

Parasites ? I think not. How would you like to live a life where you could not take a leak behind the pub for fear that hordes of photographers were waiting to catch you in the act and spread you all over the tabloids ? On top of that, how would you like to get up and give speeches to thousands of people on numerous occasions ? I would much rather be myself, even though I can,t afford to drink in high class Mayfair bars. No, they are doing a service to the country, and are not responsible for people living on the poverty line. You must blame the politicians for that smile.png Go go go Lizzie !

Certainly got you fooled, hopefully she's the last of a long line of murdering despots.

we can only hope that there will be less and less ..... like you around to see the next monarch - Good King Charles III crowned. "One MIILLION people walked in the rain" for her. How many will bother to turn out when you flame out? God Save the Queen.

I tend to find the anti-monarchy clique have never bothered to research their loudly-hailed opinions, and neither are they interested in doing so. They seem to simply enjoy hating.

Strange I find the opposite, the monarchy clique accept and follow blindly and never question. They seem to simply enjoy watching this family of privilege and entitlement.

Strange I find the opposite, the monarchy clique accept and follow blindly and never question. They seem to simply enjoy watching this family of privilege and entitlement.

Jaunty words, yet I've done my research - have you? smile.png

Yes probably as much as you and come to the opposite conclusion.

The 'parasites' in the UK are not the Royals, not immigrants but the tax dodging multi nationals and the bankers who line their pockets and pay themselves and their cronies massive salaries and bonuses before using tax payer's money to dig themselves out of the soup when it all goes tits up......

Congratulations to Her Majesty Queen.Elizabeth II.burp.gifclap2.gif

Ironic you cannot discuss Thailand's Monarchy, yet People can talk bad about the British Queen,

She cost Nothing She brings Millions of £s into the Country by way of tourists and Business and Investments,

Yes apparently since the French got rid of their monarchy their tourist industry collapsed to zero and these days they have no inward investment. Perhaps they should consider restoring the monarchy after all it was such a resounding success when it was there then maybe their tourist industry would take off along with their industry.

Ironic you cannot discuss Thailand's Monarchy, yet People can talk bad about the British Queen,

She cost Nothing She brings Millions of £s into the Country by way of tourists and Business and Investments,

Yes apparently since the French got rid of their monarchy their tourist industry collapsed to zero and these days they have no inward investment. Perhaps they should consider restoring the monarchy after all it was such a resounding success when it was there then maybe their tourist industry would take off along with their industry.

I don't think that is entirely fair about the French tourist industry, there are some interesting pictures of Hitler admiring the Eifel Tower during his tour of France. Can't blame those other potential tourists who stayed away on lack of monarchy. Oh, on second thoughts.............. by the way, have you tried to get into the Louvre lately?

I don't think that is entirely fair about the French tourist industry, there are some interesting pictures of Hitler admiring the Eifel Tower during his tour of France. Can't blame those other potential tourists who stayed away on lack of monarchy. Oh, on second thoughts.............. by the way, have you tried to get into the Louvre lately?

Exactly the French are knee deep in tourists as are many other countries but more so the French despite a lack of monarchy.

Yes I find this aspect of Thai Visa forum extremely nauseating indeed.

Exactly the French are knee deep in tourists as are many other countries but more so the French despite a lack of monarchy.

Your first post was nicely ironic, but I do wish Pitrevie wasn't right on both counts.